What's new

Why cant women understand the shaving hobby?

It's not just women; most people of either gender find shaving a chore. My ex-wife was really into vacuums (she had five) and I and most everyone else I knew thought that was odd...let's face it it was odd. Anyway, shaving is not supposed to be as much fun as many of us find it.

A great and very accurate thread! Many of the conversations described above sound very familiar...

On top of that, I'm caught in a bit of a bind as my wife both doesn't understand my hobby AND she prefers me with a "scruffy face". If she had her preference, even long before my wet shaving "obsession" (as she puts it), I'd be unshaven and only my neck would get to enjoy a nice wet shave. :)

Well, it's call "Traditional" shaving but from her point of view it really isn't.
Fifty years ago most men shaved daily with a DE or SE razor, but let's not kid ourselves...there were men who used early electrics or looked scruffy even then, and not just the hobos and criminals. Watching those old movies and thinking that represented the typical man's shave is like watching modern movies and thinking that represents the typical man's abs.
Anyway, do you think men back then talked about shaving much? Mail ordered fancy European soaps and traded samples with complete strangers...or even neighbors? Owned multiple razors and brushes? Paired blades with razors? Took pictures of lather? Turned shaving into a hobby?
Take a step back and you have to admit it's kind of funny!

:lol:

Of course, I recognize that to many men--myself included--it's far more than a daily chore. But not everyone sees it the same way. Hence the lack of understanding.

I don't think that most people can see past their own little box. It's perfectly fine to me if other people think I am weird, I frankly don't care. It seems to me to be just an excuse to complain about women. I'll bet the OP would find many things I do to be weird as well as the other way around. It's not just women who have different tastes. My father-in-law thinks I'm bonkers for taking so long to shave in the morning, "it's just shaving. Get it done and move on."

My wife understands. When I hesitated to buy the full-sized Martin de Candre soap (because at the moment I'm rather short on cash), she said the following: "Imagine... imagine this would become your go-to soap. And our son grows up with that scent of lavender and mint you keep talking about, knowing that this is how his father smells in the morning while shaving. Isn't that memory worth the money?"

It's not just women; most people of either gender find shaving a chore. My ex-wife was really into vacuums (she had five) and I and most everyone else I knew thought that was odd...let's face it it was odd. Anyway, shaving is not supposed to be as much fun as many of us find it.

That's...weird. Ok, at least give me the skinny on vacuum cleaners. Has she found "the one"?

My wife understands. When I hesitated to buy the full-sized Martin de Candre soap (because at the moment I'm rather short on cash), she said the following: "Imagine... imagine this would become your go-to soap. And our son grows up with that scent of lavender and mint you keep talking about, knowing that this is how his father smells in the morning while shaving. Isn't that memory worth the money?"

FTW!

marty

well, it's call "traditional" shaving but from her point of view it really isn't.
Fifty years ago most men shaved daily with a de or se razor, but let's not kid ourselves...there were men who used early electrics or looked scruffy even then, and not just the hobos and criminals. Watching those old movies and thinking that represented the typical man's shave is like watching modern movies and thinking that represents the typical man's abs.
Anyway, do you think men back then talked about shaving much? Mail ordered fancy european soaps and traded samples with complete strangers...or even neighbors? Owned multiple razors and brushes? Paired blades with razors? Took pictures of lather? Turned shaving into a hobby?

one more outburst like that and you are going in time out!

Well, it's call "Traditional" shaving but from her point of view it really isn't.
Fifty years ago most men shaved daily with a DE or SE razor, but let's not kid ourselves...there were men who used early electrics or looked scruffy even then, and not just the hobos and criminals. Watching those old movies and thinking that represented the typical man's shave is like watching modern movies and thinking that represents the typical man's abs.
Anyway, do you think men back then talked about shaving much? Mail ordered fancy European soaps and traded samples with complete strangers...or even neighbors? Owned multiple razors and brushes? Paired blades with razors? Took pictures of lather? Turned shaving into a hobby?

Things are obviously different today, but stubble and scruff have only recently become acceptable. Until about 2001 or 2002, you could not sport stubble in any professional environment, then Brad Pitt and some lesser Hollywood types (i.e. Peter Krause) made it socially acceptable, and fashionable. I worked in fast food until 1999, and you could not have facial hair other than a moustache. I was personally reprimanded for having 3-4 days of growth when I worked at KFC in 1997--today you see beards and stubble everywhere behind fast food and deli counters. Fifty years ago, 99.9% of men either shaved or had groomed facial hair, you just would not see a guy with significant stubble assuming he had a roof and a bathroom.

It just hurts quite a bit when I hear females say they prefer guys with stubble or when you see a nice looking chick being accompanied by a man with a stubble.
Ahhh, they like the "Ashton look", eh? Aston Kutchner does cool camera ads. He's winningly "boyish". He's also emotionally insecure and inadequate, since Ashton Kutchner had to marry the best looking surrogate mother he could- then cheat on her because he's too much of a Nanny Boy to deal with a mature relationship. If the women around want to breast-feed and nappy-change a full grown man, by all means, they're welcome to it ("it" not being Man, and disgraceful to refer to It as a beast).

Have faith, some women have discovered the benefits of having a Man, versus a baby they didn't bear.:closedeye

i dont bother my wife with it. i buy the things i want. use what i wish to. keep everything but the one razor and brush that i am using out of site and the topic doesn't come up.

only strange looks i ever got was on ship at sea, other guys shaving would notice my merkur open comb and ask me why i was using that old thing and if i wanted one of their razors to use... they would think i was using it because it was all i had or something...

They don't get it?! You mean they who an have an entire national chain of department stores dedicated to personal beauty/grooming products, called Sephora?! Hmmmmmm:confused1

Last edited:
Ahhh, they like the "Ashton look", eh? Aston Kutchner does cool camera ads. He's winningly "boyish". He's also emotionally insecure and inadequate, since Ashton Kutchner had to marry the best looking surrogate mother he could- then cheat on her because he's too much of a Nanny Boy to deal with a mature relationship. If the women around want to breast-feed and nappy-change a full grown man, by all means, they're welcome to it ("it" not being Man, and disgraceful to refer to It as a beast).

Have faith, some women have discovered the benefits of having a Man, versus a baby they didn't bear.:closedeye

It could be all of that, minus the psychoanalysis of Ashton Kutcher, or it could be as simple as some gals preferring that a man has facial hair.

My wife passed away before I got into DE shaving, but she used to pick my canned goo by scent as well as my aftershave. I think she would have enjoyed working with the expanded pallette she would have now that my shaving has gotten fancy.

Here is my convo with a female friend today:

Me: I love shaving!
Her: Ummm why? lol
Me: Hobby
Her: Eh? You're weird
Me: There is a whole site about that with guys there so not weird at all...you just won't get it.
Her: There is a site dedicated to shaving?! ROFLMAO

I'm sure this is the typical convo also. Exactly how I expect every girl to react. Is there any way to make women understand the shaving hobby?

My wife is the same way. I'm pretty active in a cigar forum as well. It took a long time before she understood. Now we have gatherings at our place and she's gotten to know many of the locals I met via that forum. I think traditional shaving will take a while for her to get used to. I'm only 2-3 weeks into it myself.

Hard to argue when you put it that way. Still, my step-dad and future BIL are interested after I showed them my "new" Gillette DE razor.

Her: There is a site dedicated to shaving?! ROFLMAO
While men are traditionally considered to be the "logical thinkers" and women more "emotional and impulsive"... there are differences where women are "strictly business"
In general, chores are simply that. Things that must be done, not things that one wants to do.
To them, shaving is one of those things.
Same for changing the oil in the car. They'll just go to Iffy-Lube and if it's not done right, they call a tow truck and send Iffy Lube the bill. Men? http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

OTOH, refer to a recent commercial where a woman is talking excitedly about a recent purchase from the store, and the male employee is like "Ya, that's nice"... and at the end she asks "Is there a woman I can talk to?"

Stimulating thread. I share most of the opinions thus far. I must admit, however, that I really don't want everyone to "get it". SWMBO doesn't "get it" and I really am not out to fully explain or convert anyone. In some ways, it's my thing. I have very few personal secrets, hobbies, or past times so this one is for me. At first, shaving was something I had to do and as many have said before, I found a way to make it enjoyable, and not routine. So, I "get it" and that's good enough for me.

I recently was telling my neighbor about de shaving,the brushes ,the blades,the razors. He gave me a strange look and said you use a de I said ya he said wow that takes guts I couldn't do it. I think if you haven't seen it. It may seem a little intimidating at least I kinda felt that way dropping in my first blade .

Top Bottom