What's new

Why buy shirts that must be ironed?

I went to Brooks Brothers that other day to get two shirts and I asked if all the shirts on display are non-iron. The employee told me all except for a few, which he pointed out. He then told me some people insist on shirts that must be ironed. Why do some people not want non-iron shirts? Am I missing something?

I would assume there's a difference in the way the fabric feels. I personally like the way 100% cotton feels and don't mind ironing either. I can see the benefit of a non-iron shirt for the person on the go

maybe for these guys?

(extreme ironing)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There is no such thing as "wrinkle proof" fabric, there is only "wrinkle resistant".
Ipso Facto, ALL shirts must be ironed at some time or another, unless your speaking of sport shirts, pullovers or hoodies.

Besides, nothing like the feel of a nice linen with extra starch.

if I was working where i needed somthing other thatn a polo... and had the cash i would only go for "iron" shirts. And send then out to the cleaners.

Also It would not shock me if A higher percentage of ppl that shop at brooks bros. use laundry service.

i can tell you that i love the feel of a pressed shirt with light starch over one i wash myself.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
It is somewhat akin to wet shaving I think - there's a reward in doing something slower and in an older fashion. A crisply ironed pure cotton shirt outclasses any drip dry synthetic I ever came across. If you put in the extra effort (or cash for a launderer) you get a better result, but it comes down to whether you aspire to look ok or great.

I find Ironing the same as doing dishes and wet shaving...very therapeutic - I can let my mind relax while keeping busy.

I wish I found ironing enjoyable :(

It could be the brands I wear but the non-iron shirts tend to be thicker and heavier to me. This is problematic in the summer and the cloth seems to rest a little different.

First off, no iron shirts are a freaking joke. I have some. I iron them. Ironing, which by the way, I do enjoy....don't call it weird (people think we're weird to like shaving...). Anyway, this post has tons of grammatical faults and I don't care right now, but ironing is fun to me. Additionally, it gives that crisp, clean look that you get from pressed clothes. Non-iron clothes do not have that. They don't have crisp creases. Wash that shirt and tell me if you can really get by without ironing it....I can't. I like creases. I crease my undergarments.

I've tried the 'no iron' shirts and... still iron them. Maybe it's me, but they still appear too sloppy if I don't iron them out

Over 30 years I wore 2 types, crisp and creased orrr fatigues. To this day my family kinda nicely makes fun of the fact that i send my jeans out to be cleaned and pressed----go figure

Last edited:
I've got some of those no-iron dress shirts from Brooks Brothers and a couple from Nordstrom. Whatever process they use to make them "no-iron" more or less disappears after awhile and they have to be ironed to look crisp. These days, i just take them to the cleaners. They are well-made shirts though, especially the Brooks Brothers.

I have had MANY of the BB Non-Iron and they are awesome. However, they aren't the softest shirts. It's the additives to resist the wrinkles. One thing, do NOT get the 346 shirts from the outlet. Mine have fallen apart, fraying on the sleeves, and the 1818 shirts from the main store are still going strong.

I really don't mind, but the feel of a sea island cotton, or a soft combed cotton is unreal. I say keep an arsenal of non-iron for everyday use, and then some 100% cotton for an occasional change.

Top Bottom