What's new

Why buy shirts that must be ironed?

I can feel the difference, but they sure as he** don't look any different. Not from another broadcloth. But with non-iron your pretty much stuck with a very limited number of weaves. Not to mention the low thread count and probably cheaper cotton. After all, who wants to damage their sea island cotton by putting it through the rigorous process of making it non-iron.

That said, I can definitely tell if a shirt *isn't* non-iron. How? If it has a subtle pattern in the cloth, I'm 95% certain its not non-iron. If its a broadcloth...probably can't. In fact, my non-irons are better feeling and looking than a lot of cheap must-iron dress shirts.

My cleaners charges $1.25 and puts a crease in the sleeves. If I had to wear a dress shirt each day, that is 5 x $1.25 = $6.25. About what I spend on lunch sometimes. And even if I did wear non-iron shirts to work those 5 days, I would still have to spend 1-2 hours of my time touching up those shirts. Hmmm, that $6.25 sure seems pretty damn cheap to me...

Roses are red
The grass is green
I learned how to iron
While I was in the Marines

Roses are red
Creases have class
If you think irons are for girls
I'll put a boot in you.....

Oh well, I like to iron my own stuff, anyway.

<My cleaners charges $1.25 and puts a crease in the sleeves. >

I'm paying $1.25 up ("over"?) here, too, but that is bargain around in these parts. Frankly, I do not see how they do it for that. Or, for that matter, why anyone would take their shirts anywhere else. For $1.25 a shirt, if I did not think it pretty much destroyed the non iron characteristics, most of the time I would probably be dropping my non irom off at the laundry.

I think if I were paying $3, I would be buying an wearing non-iron pretty consistently.

<5 x $1.25 = $6.25. About what I spend on lunch sometimes. >

Been a long time since I spent as little as $6.25 on lunch. Of course, lunch is something else I do not do as consistently as I used to!

I think at $3, I'd still do it because ironing takes forever. Maybe I'd wear two non-ironed shirts throughout the week though. $15 per week can get pretty expensive. Still, its less than two movie tickets.

I really have no idea how they are able to charge so little. They must do a shirt a minute or something.

<My cleaners charges $1.25 and puts a crease in the sleeves. >

I'm paying $1.25 up ("over"?) here, too, but that is bargain around in these parts. Frankly, I do not see how they do it for that. Or, for that matter, why anyone would take their shirts anywhere else. For $1.25 a shirt, if I did not think it pretty much destroyed the non iron characteristics, most of the time I would probably be dropping my non irom off at the laundry.

I think if I were paying $3, I would be buying an wearing non-iron pretty consistently.

<5 x $1.25 = $6.25. About what I spend on lunch sometimes. >

Been a long time since I spent as little as $6.25 on lunch. Of course, lunch is something else I do not do as consistently as I used to!

That is the heart of the matter - sending shirts to the cleaners, for me, produces a better result at a cost I am willing to pay. The cost of 30-45 shirts and 20-25 pairs of pants a month, versus all the time it would take me to iron them well, is negligible.

And it isn't sending clothes to the cleaner isn't like shaving with an electric razor. No, it is more like going to the barber to have him shave you rather than doing it yourself.

That is the heart of the matter - sending shirts to the cleaners, for me, produces a better result at a cost I am willing to pay. The cost of 30-45 shirts and 20-25 pairs of pants a month, versus all the time it would take me to iron them well, is negligible.

And it isn't sending clothes to the cleaner isn't like shaving with an electric razor. No, it is more like going to the barber to have him shave you rather than doing it yourself.

The sad thing is, for me, I would much rather take them to the cleaners. They do a great job and I just don't want to spend the time to iron that many shirts. However, getting to a cleaners is no small feat for me. They are not open on my way home in the morning and closed by the time I'm on my way back to work. :sad:

Ok, I buy non-iron pants.... :001_tt2:

Top Bottom