What's new

Why are some new razors magnetic?

Hello
I have three straight razors and with any combination of these three I found some magnetic attraction. The three that I have are a revisor 6/8, a carbo electric that I got as part of a sight unseen from whippeddog and a gold dollar.
All three seem to have some magnetic properties.I also checked with a paperclip.
Did anyone else have similar experiences?

Many razor makers do their final polishing with the blades stuck on a magnetic base to avoid injury. I made one of my own for restoration. Straight razors tend to have a high carbon content in the alloy which makes them susceptible to being magnetized. Just storing them close to magnetic material or static electricity will magnetize them.

I have a magnetic sanding jig and if I use it on a razor the razor retains magnetism. Your razors have probably been in contact with a magnet some time in their life. I demagnetize my razors before honing them as I don't want swarf clinging to the blade, but when I have forgotten to demagnetize I really have not seen any ill effects. There are vintage razors that brag about being magnetic.

Okay
thank you both.
I figured as much. I didn't have any problems honing either (at least not related to magnetism)
I didn't know that carbon steel would magnetise that fast.

I think if they honed them on a belt or rotating sander that might magnetize them as well. I am trying to remember from my days as a Scout but I think to magnetize a pin for a compass you rub it in one direction with something woolly.

I am trying to remember from my days as a Scout but I think to magnetize a pin for a compass you rub it in one direction with something woolly.

Ahhhh Grasshopper you remember well my son :chinese::chinese::chinese:

Yes I have seen that early days they thought if they made a razor with magnetic properties the iron in your blood hence hair has blood in it the idea was it would lift the hair for a better shave.

And this was one of those said razors.

20171116_110311.jpg

Yes I’ve had a few “Magnetic” blades too.
As well as the idea of attracting the blood that you say, there was also the possibility that the edge lasted better as the particles lined up with the earth’s magnetic field.
I haven’t tested it but I think moonlight is supposed to dull blades (honest!)
And then there’s those pyramid blade sharpeners...
And all of that stuff about resting the blade to improve the edge.
Is any of this true?
You tell me...

During the late 1800's magnetism was seen as a natural remedy hence razors were often advertised as being magnetic. Some people still believe in this old wives tale. Unfortunately magnetism wasn't the only thing believed to be healthy, radium was too.

I'm glad this discussion came up; I was wondering if I was the only one that had noticed this. I think all three of my Chinese razors get magnetized quite easily and seem to stay that way for a while. If you don't already know, carbon steel can be temporarily magnetized simply from kinetic impacts. If I remember correctly, the vibrations help the carbon atoms align in some fashion, producing the magnetic field. But, then again, chemistry isn't my best subject. . .

Top Bottom