What's new

Some thoughts of Rex Ambassador Safety Razor before purchasing

I have been really into this razor recently, but I have concern about the durability. As far as I can see, the spring part is a weak spot, it could fail after a few year usage because of the metal fatigue. Has anyone been using this razor for a couple of years? Maybe share some comment? Thanks.

If you decide on Rex call Razor Emporium, ask for DJ, or Matt, ask if they have BLEMS kin the Razor you want. Why 50% Saving, and having seen bless, they are difficult to find, to untrained eye.

If you decide on Rex call Razor Emporium, ask for DJ, or Matt, ask if they have BLEMS kin the Razor you want. Why 50% Saving, and having seen bless, they are difficult to find, to untrained eye.
I think you meant "blemish". That auto-fill/correct feature on phones is a plague and nuisance.

I haven't seen the spring in a Rex (which are interchangeable with springs from the Pearl Flexi, and most likely the Yaqis too) but I don't think spring failure should be a concern.

After all, these are Gibbs razor clones. And people still use those old razors, I'm given to understand. As long as the springs are made of properly made steel, they should last.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I have been really into this razor recently, but I have concern about the durability. As far as I can see, the spring part is a weak spot, it could fail after a few year usage because of the metal fatigue. Has anyone been using this razor for a couple of years? Maybe share some comment? Thanks.
There is no need to worry about the metal fatigue failure of the spring inside the razor.
Gillette Fatboy and Gibbs also have springs in them, and they are still loved by many people today more than sixty years later.

The handle of the Ambassador is hollow, so it dries easier than the Fatboy.
The razor is a machine with a very simple structure, so the possibility of failure is extremely low and there is no need to worry at all.
Just hang it to dry after use, clean it occasionally and even oil it a little (not necessarily necessary) and I'm sure your grandson will get this razor.

The serial number of my Ambassador is O1 (Manufactured in the first quarter of 2019), and it is currently completely normal.

Last edited:
I don't have a Rex but it's worth noting if it's a standard spring spec, even if something happens with the spring, you might be able to purchase another one easily. For instance, the Muramasa has o-rings on one part; they're nonessential but people have swapped them out (from rubber to silicone, for instance) because they're standard spec.

BLEMISH = Blemished, or Seconds. As I said living close to Razor Empourium I was show a BLEMISH.

Had I not been shown the imperfection, that was not in my face. I would not have seen it.

Price was attractive.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've had an Ambassador for a couple years now, and it seemingly performs the same as it did when I bought it. I'm not bothered in the least about the spring giving out. If you're worried about it, you can always buy an extra spring as a backup: Ambassador Parts — Rex Supply - https://www.rexsupplyco.com/shop-online/p/ambassador-parts

Thanks for the link to Rex razor parts. I don't have the Ambassador, but instead have the Konsul. It's good to know parts are available, but I doubt I'll ever need a new spring or anything else.

Happy Shaves,

Jim

From what I have hear, the spring used is a thicker diameter ((probability better quality too) then most out there. If you ever do, replace it.
For me, I don't do adjustables..
But whatever you end up with, enjoy it..

BFX

SPUntitled.jpg

Mine is five years old and like still like new. I have no doubt that Matt has spare springs, if needed. It has been used in average once every two weeks.
I wouldn't question the durability of this razor.
I have an idea that if a spring did somehow go bad, I could send it to Wolff Springs and they could match it up with something they have in stock. They are famous makers of high performance springs for semiautomatic pistols and revolvers. They'd be my first try.

Unless you get the rare one-off part failure, it will outlive you. Wherever RE gets the springs, they are a standard make, and the manufacturer makes them by the mile (of wire).

Edit: I am not an RE fan-boy, but the Ambassador and Konsul are excellent razors, if you like a good bit of blade exposure/aggression. The Konsul is "milder" at the same setting number, the Ambassador's #1 is pretty high on the Gillette scale (8 or better on a FatBoy-?), and I run mine in the 3-5.5 range.

Mine is a 2019.

Top Bottom