What's new

Why all the hate for shave foam?

I can take a tub of artisan soap, a Tablespoon of hot water, and a shaving brush and whip up a superb lather in less than a minute. While that might not be quite a quick as grabbing a can of shave foam, the difference is time is not enough to matter.

I do have a can of Barbasol Extra Moisturizing shave cream. It is be best canned shave product I have found. However, the propellants in the foam dry my skin leaving it feeling uncomfortable.

Gillette Foamy is composed of: Water, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Isobutane, Laureth-23, Propane, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Fragrance, Bht, Butane. With the exception of stearic acid and water, the rest are industrial chemicals that I would just as soon leave off my face. Using shave foam releases isobutane, propane and butane into the environment, which is not environmentally responsible.

I use shave foam quite regularly, along with creams and soaps. In my experience, shave foam outperforms soap and creams on every metric, minus closeness of shave. So why all the hate for shave foam?
I'm not sure I hate canned propellant products but my short experience with them is they do not outperform soap and creams on every metric and I hate covering my hands with the stuff. It's wasteful, of the few I've smelled, they stink, and I obviously care more about mother earth than you... ;) (That last one isn't true; I just threw that in for virtue signaling's sake. :D)

I'm not sure I hate canned propellant products but my short experience with them is they do not outperform soap and creams on every metric and I hate covering my hands with the stuff. It's wasteful, of the few I've smelled, they stink, and I obviously care more about mother earth than you... ;) (That last one isn't true; I just threw that in for virtue signaling's sake. :D)
That about sums it up 👻

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For me the biggest reason I don't use canned stuff, it comes from giant corporations that caters to share holders not wet shavers. I do my best to support the small businesses that make excellent shaving products.
Probably true with artisan soaps, but if you are using name brands they are pretty much a giant corporation. I can appreciate and enjoy both ends of the spectrum. Much of the sought after hardware in this hobby is / was made by a Giant corp still raking in $$ from shaving today. Different hardware, but same company. Arko = Barbasol = Gillette = Prorasso in many respects.

Top Bottom