What's new

Why all the hate for shave foam?

I don't expect this to apply to everybody, but for me, back when I shaved with canned foam and carts, shaving hurt. A lot. I have what I consider to be a tough beard and sensitive skin, and shaving with canned foam literally caused pain. And I know that it was the foam and not just the carts, because there was a period when I'd switched to brush & cream but still used my carts (I'd ordered my DE online but got the brush & cream locally), and shaving improved significantly for me at that point.

It’s been said by others: for me it’s about environmental waste. I switched from a Trac II type cartridge razor to a double edge because I was concerned about throwing away plastic encased blades. DE metal blades can be recycled. I used to just rub hand soap on my face, but I discovered I could get a lot more shaves per blade if I use lather. (I also increase blade life with a vintage Allegro honer and Twinplex stropper.) I am trying to reduce plastic and metal containers elsewhere by switching mainly to soap bars for hands and hair. (Ivory seems to work fine for me as a a shampoo, although shampoo bars are available for a more traditional experience.) I also now use compostable floss. We also switched to dissolvable strips instead of liquid laundry soap, eliminating those large plastic jugs. I have also saved a small fortune on toilet paper by switching to a bidet (Jan 2020.) We haven’t used a single 8 roll package of TP since Oct 2019, and avoided the pandemic TP shortage crisis. (The bidet has also saved me a LOT of time!). So for me, it’s just one area where I am trying to reduce landfill waste or unnecessary consumption of materials.

Hmmmm. Saving trees at the cost of using more potable water...seems to me you are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I fully understand the mystique that some attach to the act of shaving your face. I used to be caught up in it. But not anymore. That said, I have no brief with those who make it a ritual. Have at it hoss. Your money, your time, do what you like. Just don't knock those who don't care. I like a good shave as much as anyone and I'm satisfied with the brushless creams I have chosen. I could not rest easy knowing I paid $50.00 for two ounces of goo that cost $0.50 to produce.
For some people it’s a mind set so they believe it, I said some people not all people. I have two friends that will not even look at canned foam or gel, which they used for years before the internet told them it was bad.

Use Noxzema shave foam....
My stepdad, who shaved with a SS and Noxzema brushless, gave me an electric in high school. In college and later, I switched to injectors, carts and Barbasol foam. Carts and Barbasol were fine before I switched to DE. When he passed away 20 years ago, my mom tossed all his shaving gear in the trash before I could salvage anything, except an unused 40s Aristocrat he had hidden in his dresser. My only regret was not salvaging his old SS and tubes of Noxzema brushless.

Last edited:
My stepdad, who shaved with a SS and Noxzema brushless, gave me an electric in high school. In college and later, I switched to injectors, carts and Barbasol foam. Carts and Barbasol were fine before I switched to DE. When he passed away 20 years ago, my mom tossed all his shaving gear in the trash before I could salvage anything, except an unused 40s Aristocrat he had hidden in his dresser. My only regret was not salvaging his old SS and tubes of Noxzema brushless.
It’s a shame people throw things away very innocently

I don’t hate shave foam or gels…so here is the dealio if your in a pinch and need to hurry they are great wet face … spray nozzle fluff gel or foam onto face shave blah blah….cream and shave stick probably next easiest apply lather on face blah blah ….soap is probably the longest load scruff it all over face swirl it dip etc etc or just swirl in a bowl add water etc…the main reason people would probably prefer creams and soaps in wet shaving is 1 the ingredients…foams and gels can be pretty ghastly and while it hasn’t really harmed many ppl it’s still better to limit what you can (btw some creams and soaps also have some sneaky ingredients you have to be careful there parabens may pop up )…plus the feel of a good lather outweighs foam or gel …maybe also the slickness the moisturising…it CAN be cheaper …IF you don’t go to overboard (many do lol 😂) BUT if you don’t and buy what you need …it can be …oh there’s a multitude of reasons …but at the same time technically not really to much wrong with it either …really it’s down to preference ymmv like everything

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I prefer shave soaps for control of the hydration can foams work ok for DE’s but aren’t quite wet enough for straight razors. I do keep a small travel can and a shavette in my Dopp kit though.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't hate canned goo, I don't think there are many that actually hate it, or hate people that use it.
For me and I suspect many, the preference for traditional soaps and creams is the advantages in scents, longevity of the product, and the ritualistic process involved in using them.

There has been a growing concern over the past number of years about "ingredients".
To the point that many beneficial and positive ingredients have been eliminated from products due to irrational and baseless fear from groups who fancy themselves as experts but have no more training than your average third grader.
The internet gives access to billions on a wide swath of valuable information that has benefited mankind. Unfortunately, it has also provided a platform for fear mongering by the uneducated either for personal profit or out of sheer ignorance of the facts.

Everything has a chemical name, naturally occurring or not.
Just because something contains "chemicals" doesn't mean it's bad for you. Just because something is "natural" or "organic" doesn't mean it's good for you.
Dihydrogen Monoxide sounds scary, but it's just another name for water, which obviously is necessary to sustain life.
Poison oak and Poison Ivy are all natural and 100% organic, but probably not a good salad ingredient.

Look below at the chemical breakdown of blueberries - CAUTION: Blueberries contain methylparabens.

ingredients-of-all-natural-blueberries-poster.jpg

I don’t hate shave foam or gels…so here is the dealio if your in a pinch and need to hurry they are great wet face … spray nozzle fluff gel or foam onto face shave blah blah….cream and shave stick probably next easiest apply lather on face blah blah ….soap is probably the longest load scruff it all over face swirl it dip etc etc or just swirl in a bowl add water etc…the main reason people would probably prefer creams and soaps in wet shaving is 1 the ingredients…foams and gels can be pretty ghastly and while it hasn’t really harmed many ppl it’s still better to limit what you can (btw some creams and soaps also have some sneaky ingredients you have to be careful there parabens may pop up )…plus the feel of a good lather outweighs foam or gel …maybe also the slickness the moisturising…it CAN be cheaper …IF you don’t go to overboard (many do lol 😂) BUT if you don’t and buy what you need …it can be …oh there’s a multitude of reasons …but at the same time technically not really to much wrong with it either …really it’s down to preference ymmv like everything
Well put

My preference is shaving soaps and creams with a brush. I do have a can of CO Bigelow foam my sister gave me which is ok, and I don't use it but maybe once a year if that.

For travel I do use Edge gel and a Gillette Trac II for time and convenience. I get a decent shave from it, but I still prefer the shaving soaps and creams with a brush.

Before the internet, no one ever expected that toys, razors and other things would be worth big money in 20-40 years. We used, abused & tossed.
We would all be very rich, with all the collectibles, you name it someone collects it, well almost anything

I have a can of Nivea foam that hasn’t been used yet. I’ll give it a go just to see how well it performs against my cream and soap. May have to use it with my Mach 3 though. Unsure if my Sledgehammer is suitable for it.

I'll tell you what though. I'll give it a test drive with my Mach 3 and post the results tomorrow morning.

Jason.

Attachments

• EB3656BF-19F7-4050-91EA-4E279EF2B26E.jpeg
    EB3656BF-19F7-4050-91EA-4E279EF2B26E.jpeg
    910.2 KB · Views: 8
We would all be very rich, with all the collectibles, you name it someone collects it, well almost anything

I had shoe boxes full of baseball & bubble gum cards, and hundreds of golden and silver age comics from the 40s to mid 60s. When I came home Christmas 1964 from my 1st semester in college, every thing was gone. Mom's response was, "you're in college. You don't need it". Years later, when I told her that my compete set of the original Mars Attack cards were selling on ebay for $6000, she almost had a heart attack. I didn't have the heart to tell her that my comics and baseball cards were worth more than I'd ever earn from my college education.

I have a can of Nivea foam that hasn’t been used yet. I’ll give it a go just to see how well it performs against my cream and soap. May have to use it with my Mach 3 though. Unsure if my Sledgehammer is suitable for it.

I'll tell you what though. I'll give it a test drive with my Mach 3 and post the results tomorrow morning.

Jason.
Your 39c should be fine with any type of foam or gel. I started with a de before carts came out with rise, Colgate and barbasol without any problems. Go ahead with the sledgehammer and good luck

Top Bottom