What's new

Why a slant?

The PAA Filament razor is a fairly faithful reproduction of a 1930s Fasan razor called the Double Slant. So, the name hearkens back to that Fasan vintage razor.

The Double Slant aspect, AFAIK, relates to the fact that the blade is both slanted at an angle and twisted into a helical (corkscrew) shape. The Fasan twist is more extreme than many of the other slant razor designs out there.
Thank you!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
This razor is called by Phoenix a "Double Slant". Does that label mean anything? Is it extra twisted or something?

@NorthernSoul pretty much nailed it. :thumbup1:

Fasan used the term "double slant" to indicate that the edges "slant two ways" or make that classic "X" shape when viewed from one side or the other. What tends to complicate the discussion is the observation that Fasan made some razors that we would now call "highly helical" or some such modern interpretation.

Was/is there something we could call a "single slant?" Following on from the translation of doppelshraeg as "two slants" instead of "twice as slanty" then we can point to the so-called tilted slant as being a "single slant." Viewed from the side the edges of a tilted slant only seem to slant one way.

Since the Fasan Double Slants are kind of a mystical super-dooper razor there are a number of modern makers who are using the name as a way to claim some heritage between their razors and the Fasan. Some of them, unfortunately, are applying the idea to razors that are no way similar. I've sacrificed enough of my shaving nirvana time fooling with some of them, and that's documented in past years of The Tilted Picnic.

I should also say, having used both a Fasan Double Slant and the Merkur version that is even more rare, that there are some modern versions that come pretty close. I haven't used a Filament, though. I keep putting that off and don't know why. I have used PAA's Monster series and I can say that's a close copy.

RazoRock's Superslants are excellent and really raise the game in my opinion.

O.H.

Mr Fine used to make a plastic recreation of a retro slant too, take a look at this bad boy:

For me this razor is too aggressive for daily use (I need my daily shave), but its a very pretty little razor, I believe it is 'double' (helix) slanted too, and has an interesting history.

I don't think Fine makes it in plastic any longer, but I believe they do the same razor in machined aluminum, at a premium price ... :)

A slant razor’s engineering is designed to make them cut hair from an angle instead of straight-on...creating a more “effective” motion and result. Thus little pressure is even more preferred while using such a razor, also denser or thicker stubble benefits from this style of razor
I imagine the slant razor, and I have and use a few, to be similar to an airplane wing. Flaps and slats up, (straight bar DE) the wing is a straight edge, slices thru the air nicely and provides lift at the appropriate speeds. With the flaps and slats down (slant razor), the wing becomes more efficient at slow airspeeds, like our slow shaving strokes, since it slices thru the air molecules more efficiently/differently, at least as far as providing greater lift to the aircraft is concerned. Just a simple analogy, may not really hold up to scientific scrutiny I'm sure. Just another way of looking at slants with aeronautical jaundiced eye.

Some Love'em some don't ...
It one of so many shave personal things.
I have used them for a long time and they will always be an option in my den.
My benefits of using them are: smooth comfortable close(r) shave, and the stubble stays away longer. Great for sensitive skin in general. Note: for me I only use a fresh blade in any slant I use, works best for me.

All I can add if interested to try one. Parker Semi-Slant is a good one to start with.
I think I saw it on Amazon for like 23 bucks...
Like any DE out there, it may take time to find the right one that works for you.
They may not work for you.
Be sure you had least have some solid shave experience first, with a good foundation of skills, technique and consistency.

BFX

Top Bottom