What's new

Who makes a good bay rum?

I might be inclined to try the Captains Choice after I burn through my bottle of PAA Boomstown, but I tell you I'm loyal to my PAA aftershaves, they are to me one of the best values out there in the wet shaving world.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I might be inclined to try the Captains Choice after I burn through my bottle of PAA Boomstown, but I tell you I'm loyal to my PAA aftershaves, they are to me one of the best values out there in the wet shaving world.
I wanted to like PAA but the whole impersonation/stoen valor thing turned me off permanently. That's just me though, I imagine they are great.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Alternative title: Damn you, Clubman!

Bought a small bottle of Clubman bay rum off Amazon. Smells great! Does pretty good on my skin, too. Figured this is the one. Ordered a large bottle and... Cat pee! What is it with Clubman scents and the underlying cat pee aroma? I've decanted it into a 375ml Jack Daniels bottle (looks classy in the bathroom) but I still get that scent.

Who else makes a good bay rum?

I've tried Ogallala, which should be called CLOOOOOOOOVE! Also burns like hell. Also tried Stirling. Same thing, burns like hell. Tried Captain's Choice but it smells like dirt to me.

Anything else I should try?
If you can get your hands on some old Avon Bay Rum from the 1960's you will love it. You can probably find some on an auction site shipping and all for less than some of the fancy brand name stuff made today. Smells great, leaves your face feeling great.... really nice this time of year!

FarmerTan

I wanted to like PAA but the whole impersonation/stoen valor thing turned me off permanently. That's just me though, I imagine they are great.
Yeah, I've not pulled the trigger on anything of his yet. Not ruling it out, just not happy with his prices to be honest. I'm cheap, you know that Dawg!

FarmerTan

Cheap! No way! You are tops in my book, Tan.
Brother, I had the honor to work for years with police in some not always happy situations. So it always bugs me too when folks act like a hero that run the other way when someone calls a code on a patient, etc. Not that I want someone there that doesn't want to be, just be honest with yourself and others. It can save or cost a life, literally.

But DO NOT pretend after the fact that you were there or helping, when you grabbed a clipboard while I was jumping up and down on someone's chest, or conveniently were on break, etc.

So yeah, I get where you are coming from with PAA. He's probably a great guy, but I am called to be a good steward of the money God lets me keep, lol!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Brother, I had the honor to work for years with police in some not always happy situations. So it always bugs me too when folks act like a hero that run the other way when someone calls a code on a patient, etc. Not that I want someone there that doesn't want to be, just be honest with yourself and others. It can save or cost a life, literally.

But DO NOT pretend after the fact that you were there or helping, when you grabbed a clipboard while I was jumping up and down on someone's chest, or conveniently were on break, etc.

So yeah, I get where you are coming from with PAA. He's probably a great guy, but I am called to be a good steward of the money God lets me keep, lol!

Well said my man. I agree.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
So many great bay rums, so little time on planet Earth...

My favorite so far is probably CC Cat O 9 Tails. Can’t beat the warmth on a cold winter morning!

Right now I’m working through a bottle of Suavecito. It’s really good for like half the cost of CC. It’s very similar (maybe the same?) as Layrite #9.

The one bay rum that I humbly believe should be on everyone’s aftershave shelf is Superior 70. Of course, it is a key ingredient of the oft-mentioned Bootleggers. But it is also excellent used straight up. Nothing but water, alcohol, and bay oil, it’s about as pure as an AS splash gets and smells amazing. It’s great for when you want just a light scent. Plus, it’s very soothing and healing. In fact, it also works great on bug bites and other itchy skin irritations. So git yerself a bottle if you don’t have one already.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So many great bay rums, so little time on planet Earth...

My favorite so far is probably CC Cat O 9 Tails. Can’t beat the warmth on a cold winter morning!

Right now I’m working through a bottle of Suavecito. It’s really good for like half the cost of CC. It’s very similar (maybe the same?) as Layrite #9.

The one bay rum that I humbly believe should be on everyone’s aftershave shelf is Superior 70. Of course, it is a key ingredient of the oft-mentioned Bootleggers. But it is also excellent used straight up. Nothing but water, alcohol, and bay oil, it’s about as pure as an AS splash gets and smells amazing. It’s great for when you want just a light scent. Plus, it’s very soothing and healing. In fact, it also works great on bug bites and other itchy skin irritations. So git yerself a bottle if you don’t have one already.

I have 6 bottles in storage. :) It's crazy how popular Superior 70 has become. When my Bootlegger's Bay Rum was in it's experimental stages back in late 2010, I was looking everywhere, for that third magical ingredient to add to the 50/50 Pinmaster that was in wide use back then. I probably bought and tried every reasonably priced bay rum known to man. Then I discovered Superior 70 on the shelves in the ethnic section of Walgreens.

It absolutely amazed me, how this cheap, mostly alcohol, antiseptic, not even really considered to be an aftershave, synergized the Bootlegger's mix and helped make it a really rounded classic smelling, Traditional Bay Rum aftershave.

After Bootlegger's Bay Rum began to gain some popularity here on B&B, it seemed no one had ever heard of Superior 70. As they began to get it to make Bootlegger's, I would read more and more of how people began to use it all by itself for its antiseptic properties and very, very fleeting light scent.

I was surprised at how many people liked and wanted a "fleeting" scent, as it was the exact opposite, of why I created Bootlegger's for a longer lasting scented Bay Rum. Pretty soon, I would read where some would purchase Superior 70 by the case, not by the bottle. Here is an interesting note.

When I introduced Superior 70 here back in 2011, no one had heard of it and you could find it everywhere and it was only costing .99 cents a bottle. Now, everyone knows what Superior 70 is, it can hardly be found anymore and it costs $10 a bottle.

That's crazy in my mind. :)

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I have 6 bottles in storage. :) It's crazy how popular Superior 70 has become. When my Bootlegger's Bay Rum was in it's experimental stages back in late 2010, I was looking everywhere, for that third magical ingredient to add to the 50/50 Pinmaster that was in wide use back then. I probably bought and tried every reasonably priced bay rum known to man. Then I discovered Superior 70 on the shelves in the ethnic section of Walgreens.

It absolutely amazed me, how this cheap, mostly alcohol, antiseptic, not even really considered to be an aftershave, synergized the Bootlegger's mix and helped make it a really rounded classic smelling, Traditional Bay Rum aftershave.

After Bootlegger's Bay Rum began to gain some popularity here on B&B, it seemed no one had ever heard of Superior 70. As they began to get it to make Bootlegger's, I would read more and more of how people began to use it all by itself for its antiseptic properties and very, very fleeting light scent.

I was surprised at how many people liked and wanted a "fleeting" scent, as it was the exact opposite, of why I created Bootlegger's for a longer lasting scented Bay Rum. Pretty soon, I would read where some would purchase Superior 70 by the case, not by the bottle. Here is an interesting note.

When I introduced Superior 70 here back in 2011, no one had heard of it and you could find it everywhere and it was only costing .99 cents a bottle. Now, everyone knows what Superior 70 is, it can hardly be found anymore and it costs $10 a bottle.

That's crazy in my mind. :)
Wow, great story! I’m still working through a huge bottle my barber gave me, but last time I went out looking, I didn’t have any trouble finding it at a local Hispanic grocery store.

I do love a good robust smelling aftershave as much as the next red blooded male, but there are just those times when a “fleeting” scent is necessary. Especially in the pre-Covid times. My wife is very sensitive to perfume, so I stick to the lighter stuff if I’m going to be home for a while after shaving. S70 hits the spot.

I've been on a massive bay rum kick, lately, and the best bay rum aftershave I've found so far:

934C77F8-76A9-40E9-91CC-01240FEB20A3.jpeg

Very authentic.

Top Bottom