What's new

Who makes a good bay rum?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Wow, great story! I’m still working through a huge bottle my barber gave me, but last time I went out looking, I didn’t have any trouble finding it at a local Hispanic grocery store.

I do love a good robust smelling aftershave as much as the next red blooded male, but there are just those times when a “fleeting” scent is necessary. Especially in the pre-Covid times. My wife is very sensitive to perfume, so I stick to the lighter stuff if I’m going to be home for a while after shaving. S70 hits the spot.

Good stuff for sure.

I got a bottle of the new Gables Bay Rum with menthol. I love the stuff. The scent lasts for about 4 hrs. Much longer than regular Gables (which I really like as well) It also does not seem to be quite as clove heavy as the regular. At anyrate, it is well worth the price, which is not high at all.

I detect no cat pee note in Clubman's Bay Rum. If you like longevity, it's one of the best. It's also one of the most likely to irritate and also has alot of alcohol, however. It's more of a cologne than an aftershave, honestly.

The best Bay Rum aftershave that I've found so far:

BayRum.jpeg

Authentic ingredients, classic recipe = great bay rum.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
love the bay rum, need to decide which one to spring for. so many choices.
It's really hard to choose. Captains Choice is the absolute closest to (in my opinion) the best: vintage Avon.

The Captain is running a contest! His annual Christmas PIF of ANYTHING in his catalog. Or is it catalogue to those weirdos (or is it weirdoes?) in Canuck Land?! Anyway, I challenge you to find a better one.

But enter his contest, because we want to hear your story of giving!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Wed, Dec 09th 2020

Used some great inexpensive Bayrum products today. If you like a little clove in your Bay rum with some sandalwood you will definitely like the Ogallala . I like the Colonel Conk & Ogallala bay rum soaps, they are not overpowering but they are just that masculine scent most would enjoy IMO and are better for you skin with excellent post shaves.
SE SOTD  Fri, Dec 09th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I might be inclined to try the Captains Choice after I burn through my bottle of PAA Boomstown, but I tell you I'm loyal to my PAA aftershaves, they are to me one of the best values out there in the wet shaving world.

I like them...but I find that their scents change dramatically about 30 minutes after application. Love to smell them in the bottle though. I have several PAA soaps. Good stuff!

I like Grand Bay bay rum. Mild alcohol burn, smells great, but fleeting. By way of comparison, I've tried Captain's Choice (too strong, too much burn), Ogallala (too oily, not "bay rum" enough), and St. Johns (a close second, with a little more burn).

My favorite is Rooster’s Nest Bourbon Bay Rum. I like St John and Grand Bay Rum too, but Rooster’s Nest is tops for me.

I wanted to like PAA but the whole impersonation/stoen valor thing turned me off permanently. That's just me though, I imagine they are great.
Hmm, I had not heard this. I was turned off by a poor razor purchase. Trying to be open-minded, but having difficulty when I feel a bit used.

Top Bottom