What's new

Who isnt going back to their barber shop when all this is over?

It's easier to cut someone else's hair than your own. Still, I've been practicing and improving. A #3 on the sides and back with a slight taper, scissors on top. Trim the edges with a small electric trimmer. Clean up the back with a razor. It looks acceptable, not the greatest, but OK. Much nicer than letting it grow out of control.
I need to either get a hand mirror or get another full length mirror to put on the wall behind the sink mirror so that I can shave up my neck.
Im actually considering buying a cheap foil trimmer do shave my neck with so that I can put my finger on my neck where I want to stop and just go that route.

For those of us still on active duty in the military, they eluded to the fact that on my base, there shouldn’t be anyone trying to enforce hair standards currently. I am due but probably won’t get one, just because this could be the first time in 14 years I have went longer than a month without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I will return to my barber, my local independent restaurants and bars, and as many other small businesses as I can as soon as I can responsibly. While I hope that we have some good takeaways from the current crisis, I don't believe that taking certain matters into my own, somewhat dubious hands, on a continued basis is a good response.

I will take for example that as a food service professional for over 30 years I am quite capable of executing most every aspect of dining in my own home. However, I do enjoy frequenting establishments that can do that for me. Whilst my wife has, indeed, ordered shears for us to trim one another should I somehow manage to arise to a level of competence I cannot imagine that I would not continue to go to my barber.

A) Often even something that I can do myself I find pleasure in the leisure of having it done well for me.

B) Said companies (small business in particular) will need our support in order to survive.

Perhaps your point is a parallel to home improvement for me. If I can learn to tile my floor than I will do so. But if I find myself out if my depth and need to be up to code I will hire an electrician without hesitation. The difference being that I wouldn't have been a candidate for the tile workers business in the first place.

So yes if I can manage a trim for myself or my wife I might skip an appointment once a year. But the hair dyes that just showed up to color her roots hold no joy for me. I am looking to get back to "normal" as quickly as possible and I am certain any small businesses that I support that manage to survive will appreciate my patronage.

I will return to my barber, my local independent restaurants and bars, and as many other small businesses as I can as soon as I can responsibly. While I hope that we have some good takeaways from the current crisis, I don't believe that taking certain matters into my own, somewhat dubious hands, on a continued basis is a good response.

I will take for example that as a food service professional for over 30 years I am quite capable of executing most every aspect of dining in my own home. However, I do enjoy frequenting establishments that can do that for me. Whilst my wife has, indeed, ordered shears for us to trim one another should I somehow manage to arise to a level of competence I cannot imagine that I would not continue to go to my barber.

A) Often even something that I can do myself I find pleasure in the leisure of having it done well for me.

B) Said companies (small business in particular) will need our support in order to survive.

Perhaps your point is a parallel to home improvement for me. If I can learn to tile my floor than I will do so. But if I find myself out if my depth and need to be up to code I will hire an electrician without hesitation. The difference being that I wouldn't have been a candidate for the tile workers business in the first place.

So yes if I can manage a trim for myself or my wife I might skip an appointment once a year. But the hair dyes that just showed up to color her roots hold no joy for me. I am looking to get back to "normal" as quickly as possible and I am certain any small businesses that I support that manage to survive will appreciate my patronage.
So, youre basically saying that you could do it but that you dont want to and like supporting a local business?

I was thinking about this yesterday and while my wife told me Im crazy because I love my barber, I kind of enjoyed cutting my own hair.
I do love my barber and I love the communal aspect of catching up with everyone every month as someone who is planning on going to school to become a barber in 5-10 years when I semi-retire, it was kind of fun to cut my own hair and I liked the sense of accomplishment.
Last night I was looking at getting a little Panasonic foil travel shaver that should work fine for the once a month that I use it and only costs like $20. Between that and the Wahl clipper that I bought for $30, it should pay for itself in about 2 months.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My barber is well into his 60's. Given the corona-related risks of his profession, and the risks of his age group, I just hope he's able to come back to barbering when this is all over!!

I'll be returning. Several weeks prior to all this I opted for a new hair style, something more complicated than I could do myself, or the different styles I'd wear- #2 buzz cut, flat top, etc.

Plus, I love the ritual of the barber shop experience- the neck shave with hot lather, the expertise of the barber putting the pomade in, just relaxing while my hair is cut.

It's worth the $10 to $20 (+tip) I pay every 3 to 5 weeks.

My barber fractured his wrist from slipping on the ice back in January. So he referred me to another barber in the same shop.
When the time came for a hair cut the barber (female) ask what I wanted done. I said 1.5 on top and 1 on the sides. What could be easier right? Her reply was I don’t have those exact blades. My clipper is adjustable so it will be close. Well, after she thought she was finished I said it’s not short enough. So she went to work again and still not short enough.
The long and the short of it was I came home and used my own Oster76 with my own 1.5 and 1 blades. I now see how easy it is to do myself. I buzz my hair once a week so basically it always looks the same. I save $20 a pop plus don’t have to spend time going there!
You didn't tell us whether or not she is hot.

I guess she isn't?

I trimmed the sides yesterday. Better than nothing, but I will go back to my barber if he survives. He's older and not in the best health.

I usually get some good conversation about music (gold record on wall) and hear some artists on his playlist that I might not otherwise encounter. And an excellent haircut, considering what little I give him to work with.

I'm actually going to make a point of taking a hot towel shave when this is done, because I know of one nearby that also sells cigars. win-win, says I.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a license to cut hair, and I'll stick with my Barber, even through the quarantine. He makes house calls, since he retired.

Ok, I cut my own hair. But nowadays I sit down!

I get a #1 buzz, but I'll be happy to go back to my barber. It's worth $23 every 5-6 weeks for the following reasons:

1. I don't have to clean up the mess at home.
1a. I don't have to listen to my wife complain about the mess I made.
1b. I don't have to ask my wife to help with areas I can't see.
2. My eyebrows won't look like Andy Rooney, or butchered when I try to do them myself.
3. The back neck area gets shaped and shaved.
4. Any errant ear hairs, which I can't see, get trimmed. Nose hair I do myself anyway.
5. It gets me out of the house. There's a deli next door to the barber, a bakery across the street and a Home Depot on the way home. If I make a slight detour on the way home, I can get a great pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich.

Last edited:
You didn't tell us whether or not she is hot.

I guess she isn't?
The barber who fractured “his” wrist being Italian fancies himself being hot. The woman who cut my hair has a great body but wears a ton of make up to hide her age. I suppose she could be considered hot for her age. However she couldn’t produce simple buzz cut at the length asked of her.

There's no way I can cut my own hair. I can't do this:
proxy.php

the wife cut my hair a week ago, but she can only do regular taper cuts. Not like the picture.

The barber who fractured “his” wrist being Italian fancies himself being hot. The woman who cut my hair has a great body but wears a ton of make up to hide her age. I suppose she could be considered hot for her age. However she couldn’t produce simple buzz cut at the length asked of her.
I wasn't thinking about him.....
maybe it's time for you to consider an older woman?

Top Bottom