What's new

Who isnt going back to their barber shop when all this is over?

The Pesthole State has decreed limited freedom of thought will be allowed, provisionally, starting tomorrow. That includes barbershops. I called up my long-time guy and have an appointment for hair and beard trim on Tuesday.

I've been using my ancient Hair-Wiz with new blades to take some of the thickness out of my hair, and I have a Wahl beard trimmer. But the blades are not that sharp, and I've probably not done that well with my back hair. Time for a shearing!

I invested a lot of time and on tools during this time. I even adapt a new look to make sure that after the lockdown, I'd be able to maintain my own hair. I actually enjoy my weekly "me-time" now cutting my own hair. Also becoming a good bonding moment between me and my son(I cut his hair), me and my wife (she cuts mine). I find it fulfilling :)

My experience mirrors yours exactly. I cut my 2 boys here and so far they like it. I do my own and my wife takes care of any missed spots.

I got my haircut a few days ago, so happy barbershops are open again

Attachments

• 20200512_194654.jpg
    20200512_194654.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 10
My hair, 10 weeks since my last #1 buzz, was beginning to feel like a wool hat so I bought the cheapest clipper I could find to hold me over until my barber can open up, a Mangroomer Ultimate Self-Haircut for $35. I gave myself a #2 buzz as practice. It was easy and turned out ok. I'll go lower this weekend. I also buzzed my Andy Rooney eyebrows which had gray hairs poking out in all directions, including my eyes. My barber does a great job on those. For less than the price of 2 haircuts, it was worth the price but I'm still going back to my barber when he opens up. He's a young guy about 30, who was manager of the shop, with 2 kids under 3. I imagine he's doing some cutting on the side, but he has to be really hurting.

My concern is whether my barber will still be in business when this is over. He and his partner own the shop. Having been shut down for weeks on end, I rather doubt they are going to have the resources to reopen. I am afraid we are going to see a lot of small businesses, restaurants, malls, department stores, etc. close permanently. Some chains may survive, but under performing outlets are likely to shut down to save the stronger stores. The Phoenix will rise from the ashes, but it is not going to be easy or quick. Even before the virus mess hit, although the overall economy was good, many stores were struggling, especially those who have relied on mall traffic.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My concern is whether my barber will still be in business when this is over. He and his partner own the shop. Having been shut down for weeks on end, I rather doubt they are going to have the resources to reopen. I am afraid we are going to see a lot of small businesses, restaurants, malls, department stores, etc. close permanently. Some chains may survive, but under performing outlets are likely to shut down to save the stronger stores. The Phoenix will rise from the ashes, but it is not going to be easy or quick. Even before the virus mess hit, although the overall economy was good, many stores were struggling, especially those who have relied on mall traffic.
The state of things on Wall Street is not a good indicator of the state of things on Main Street.

I got inspired by a shavette thread here and bought about a year ago myself a Seki Edge hair cutting combed thing with which you use razor blades. I used it a few times to maintain a short cut beard but now I tested it for my head. I hope I got done myself as decent cut as any prison camp inmate may have, but I should ask someone other his or her opinion.

Barber shops as almost every business has been open here in Finland but many people have, like me, avoided visiting non essential business on their free will. Normally I’ve had a military cut or a buzz cut done mostly by Arab or Turkish or Kurdish immigrants or I’ve had a haircut while visiting Tallinn. Just pop in and get a good enough job cheaply enough.

Short hair has made it possible to me avoid using shampoo, so I’ve been for years an adherent of ”the No Poo Movement”. But as the hair grew, result was more and more messy. People were giving me a nice social distance while I was having a walk in a nearby park as long haired, though.

Now considering bying myself a hat I could use I want some variation to farmer’s caps i’m wearing in summertime.

I haven't been to a barbershop (or supercuts - is that still a thing?) in over 20 years. I buzz off my own hair - don't have to look at it and I'm already married.

-jim

Top Bottom