What's new

Who can name movies or TV shows that have shaving scenes.

Remember the TV series Tales of the Gold Monkey? Well, I have the complete set on DVD.

In one episode there is a minor plot point about a Japanese princess having her Geishas shave the major male characters with straight razors just to intimidate them. The Geishas "honed" the razors on a stone with a stropping motion (edge trailing) and didn't even keep the spine flat against the stone! Despite being Japanese they used Western style razors.

Maybe that was all to add to the intimidation!

EDIT: That show was produced about a quarter of a century ago and even then straight razor shaving was a lost, or at least obscure, art!

EDIT2: OK, so shoot me. that's not DE shaving like the thread asks for!

Last edited:
Remember the TV series Tales of the Gold Monkey? Well, I have the complete set on DVD.

In one episode there is a minor plot point about a Japanese princess having her Geishas shave the major male characters with straight razors just to intimidate them. The Geishas "honed" the razors on a stone with a stropping motion (edge trailing) and didn't even keep the spine flat against the stone! Despite being Japanese they used Western style razors.

Maybe that was all to add to the intimidation!

EDIT: That show was produced about a quarter of a century ago and even then straight razor shaving was a lost, or at least obscure, art!

EDIT2: OK, so shoot me. that's not DE shaving like the thread asks for!

good looking out, but atleast its some kinda shaving:thumbup: i heard about the show, it was produced by donald bellisario, he's from my old hometown state PA..he produced great shows like magnum pi, airwolf, jag,quatum leap,ncis.battlestar galicta,ect...he's old military vet so most of his shows the main character is always a military vet, like magnum, the boss dude from navy ncis, airwolf's pilot guy, they were all vet's like him...the tales of golden
monkey had 21 episodes, do u remember which one is the shave scene one?

good looking out, but atleast its some kinda shaving:thumbup: i heard about the show, it was produced by donald bellisario, he's from my old hometown state PA..he produced great shows like magnum pi, airwolf, jag,quatum leap,ncis.battlestar galicta,ect...he's old military vet so most of his shows the main character is always a military vet, like magnum, the boss dude from navy ncis, airwolf's pilot guy, they were all vet's like him...the tales of golden
monkey had 21 episodes, do u remember which one is the shave scene one?

I can't remember which episode but I think it was on disk 5. Maybe "The Cooked Goose", but get good odds if you use that in a bet!

Yes, you can tell it is a D. Bellisario production, and that's a good thing. The hero of TotGM is an ex Flying Tiger Pilot. One cast member was a regular on Magnum: Jeff MacKay.

In the movie "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium" (1969) starring Suzanne Pleshette and Ian McShane, Ian McShane is shaving with a Gillette Techmatic about 54 minutes into the movie. He doesn't actually shave with it, but his face is coated with lather and you can see the Techmatic on the sink.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before as well but Tom Cruise shaves with a DE in "Valkyrie". I think it was also a blooper as the razor he uses was obviously made AFTER WW2.

Probably mentioned already:

Pink Floyd The Wall, who can forget that "ultimate shaving" scene!

A week ago I watched "Blast from the past" and a flare tip is on one scene.

Was watching a horror/thriller movie last night called Stephen King's Riding The Bullet.

Summary from Wikipedia: Set in 1969, Alan Parker (Jonathan Jackson) is a young artist, studying at the University of Maine. He becomes obsessed with death, and believing he is losing his girlfriend, Jessica (Erika Christensen), he tries to commit suicide on his birthday.

Back to me: So anyway, while laying back in the bath smoking a joint, he notices a double edge razor laying in the window seal by the bath. He picks it up, looks at it, camera does a nice closeup here and you can see it's a Gillette Slim adjustable, twists open the doors, takes out the blade and contemplates slicing his wrist. Suddenly the Grim Reaper appears, takes Alan's joint, smokes a bit, tosses it into the tub with Alan, sits down, and tells Alan to "Do it!" 2 paintings of a woman on the wall also come to life and tell him to "Do it!" too. As he's about to do it but hesitating, all his friends rush into the bathroom screaming "Surprise!" for his birthday, which startles him and makes him slice his wrist open.

At the 23 second mark in the video...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQLWuCr5RSI#t=0m23s[/YOUTUBE]

A classic Leave It to Beaver, when Wally uses his dad's DE, gets in trouble for it, then gets a barbershop shave in front of all his friends. Thanks to Ward.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FV0-DxkFqg[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Don't think anybody mentioned the scene in Crocodile Dundee where Paul Hogan is shaving in the bush with a double-edge until he see's Linda Kozolowski's character watching him, whereupon he rapidly pockets the DE, whips out his Bowie knife and pretends to be shaving with that. To maintain his image, you know.

- Bill

In the movie "Highway 61" the main character, Pokey Jones the Barber, shaves an entire motorcycle gang with a straight (at gunpoint) to earn a ride to Baton Rouge.

In Taken, Owen Crawford shaves with a DE when he's staying at a girl's house. I think it's a SS, but it's been awhile since I saw the scene.

People have already mentioned Commander/Admiral Adama from Battlestar Galactica, but didn't mention the make. I'm pretty sure the one Commander Adama shaves with is a black handled Super Speed (which seems to be a favorite generic prop DE razor). In a later season, Admiral Adama is shown shaving with something that looks a little like a Merkur Futur, but I'm not really familiar with that model, so I'm not sure.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before as well but Tom Cruise shaves with a DE in "Valkyrie". I think it was also a blooper as the razor he uses was obviously made AFTER WW2.

You know, I didn't notice the make/model of the razor... I think I was too distracted by the fact that he managed not to slice any skin off his face. :001_rolle

A couple of people mentioned Adama and Helo shaving in Battlestar.... not sure if anyone remembers the scene from early in S4 with Gaius Balthar shaving with a straight in the bathroom then being attacked and having it held against his neck by his assailant.

I was just watching George Washington Slept Here (1942) on TCM. A few minutes into the movie, Jack Benny has a much-interrupted shaving scene. We can see he gets ready by getting out a razor, brush, and tube of cream, but we never see him apply the later. The razor is a DE, but it's not possible to tell much more about it. Probably whatever was current in 1942.

I was just watching George Washington Slept Here (1942) on TCM. A few minutes into the movie, Jack Benny has a much-interrupted shaving scene. We can see he gets ready by getting out a razor, brush, and tube of cream, but we never see him apply the later. The razor is a DE, but it's not possible to tell much more about it. Probably whatever was current in 1942.

I love TCM !! I saw this one a couple months ago. Great movie !!

How about a great Man's Movie...

Tombstone - Doc Holliday (Val Kilmer) is receiving a straight razor shave when Ringo comes in drunk and wants to play for blood.

"I'm your "Huckleberry" "

Top Bottom