What's new

Which soap for a first time soaper ?

I currently use Proraso shaving cream, which I like a lot.

However I’d like to try a soap (just for fun) and am trying to decide which one of the following might be the best one to try.

I gather proraso soap is just the same as the cream but harder, so I’d like to try something different.

The ones I’m thinking of (because I can source them locally) are:

Col Conk (and if so, which one)
Mitchell’s Wool fat
Cella
D.R. Harris (and again, if so which one)
Sir Irisch Moos
Tabac
Taylors of Old Bond Street
Razorock

So I’d interested in hearing your thoughts on the topic, bearing in mind
  1. This is my first shaving soap
  2. I want to try something significantly different to the cream I currently use.
Of the soaps above, where there are different scents / formulations available (eg sandalwood, lime, bay rum etc then suggestions along those lines also welcome)

I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times in various permutations but bear wtih me. It's easier for me to have all those ideas collected together here for me. However if there are links you think relevant, by all means share.

Thanks you all.

If you want something completely different from cream I would suggest MWF or Tabac

If you want a soap that is easy to lather I would suggest Cella.

Safest bet is Col. Conk's. Generally lathers easily and not too many folks claim skin irritation. I find melt and pours boring, though.

My favorite is MWF, but there are some who can't get it to lather and some who get irritation.

Cella is pretty foolproof, I hear.

DR Harris is wildly popular here. I like Arlington, but put it a notch below my best performers.

Tabac lathers as well as any soap I've tried, but the scent is polarizing.

Ya gotta try them all at some point. Why not get the Col. out of the way first and try something else in 2 or 3 months.

Tabac... very different from Proraso and easy to build lather from... Tabac soap will always be in my rotation..

I'm new myself, but have tried a decent amount of stuff. RazoRock and MWF are my favorites. I have both regular and Artisan Razorock (XXX and Boston Tea Party). I get awesome lather from these 3. I really think you can't go wrong with RazoRock... just gotta find the scent that suits you.

My next soap purchase is going to be DRH Arlington. Smells awesome, but can't speak to its performance just yet.

Tabac was my first soap. I think the smell is awesome, but not everyone feels that way. It is also super easy to lather.

I'd go with Conk Amber. Tabac is good but I really can't stand the old man smell:) Then I'd go with Cella or MWF(actually both) I haven't tried Razorock yet.

Tabac or Harris Arlington. I started with Proraso and used creams for quite a while. Tabac was the first soap that really impressed me while Arlington may be my current favorite.

I too, think that Conk's isn't a bad idea. Doesn't cost much, if you don't like it you're not out much. Though many won't stand up and say, "it's my favorite", most anyone can get it to lather fairly well. As has already been said, it's also agreeable to most all faces. I've tried all of the Conk's line up and haven't been disappointed with any, I quite like their Lime. Yeah, I have other soaps I like better but I could live with Conk's. If you like the idea of hard soaps after you've tried it you can always opt for some of the more expensive soaps. You may find that your performance increases to some degree, as will likely what you pay but you'll at least have a ground zero that was successful as a place to start.

As other's have said Conk-I like Almond or Bay Rum-should be cheap to learn and practice on. Can you get Arko or Palmolive sticks over there?-Those are cheapies but goodies. MWF is great -wasn't too bad, only took a couple tries at first before I got it to lather pretty well.

So great responses, thank you for taking the trouble.

Ya gotta try them all at some point.

That's worrying though likely true.

I just wish there was somewhere I could go to smell some of these before buying. need some "scratch and siff" sample cards ! Now there's a marketing idea.

Decisions, Decisions....

I am a bit confused (or lack knowledge) re the hard vs soft soaps thng. Technique, how to use etc.
No doubt there is info on B&B re this. Would appreciate if someone could point me there. Cheers

You have a good list of fine soaps and can't go wrong with any of them. I have enjoyed the CC soaps with the BR being my favorite. My son likes the almond. D R Harris Marlborough or Arlington soaps are great performers with wonderful scents. MWF is another favorite as is Tabac which has a classic scent that I enjoy very much. You are not going to go wrong with any of those on your list in my view. CC is very reasonable and may be a good place to start. The Harris soaps which contain tallow, are just wonderful and create mounds of lather and are among my favorites.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom