What's new

Which single edge to try?

I feel the urge to try a single-edge. They seem far less used and appreciated than the DEs, so I've had a bit of trouble finding information on them.

Which should I try first? Lather catcher? Micromatic? Something else?

My main priority is quality of shave.

My current favorite DE is a '51 Super Speed with a Red Pack blade.

I should also note I already have an injector, and am looking for something that takes this sort of blade:
proxy.php

I have a micromatic, gem jr. 1912 ornate handle and a gem push button I like the 1912 ornate handle the best for looks and the best shave any 1912(ever ready,damaskeene etc. gets confusing with all these 1912's sometimes for me lol) I assume should do though.

Last edited:
The 1912s are great shavers, and there are a zillion out there to be bought at not terribly high prices.

Out of my own limited experience, the G-Bar would also be good.

People who have learned to shave with the open comb Micromatics swear by them. I swore at mine, but I've been saying for a while that I'll try it again some time.

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen!

Would the razor shown in this YouTube video be an example of the G-bar or the 1912?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAJ2zYM3D2w[/YOUTUBE]

How does the shave the G-bar delivers differ from that of the 1912?

Edit: Woops. The one in the video obviously isn't a G-bar. What is it, then?

You mention a "lather catcher" as one of the ones you are considering. If you already have a 1900/1901 patent, Gem Jr. Bar Razor, that is definitely the one to try. If not, from the standpoint of shave quality and ready availability for less money, aquire a 1912 patent razor. As was said, they are available with several tradenames on them, but they all shave superbly.

The razor shown in the video you mention is a 1900/1901 Bar Razor. In my opinion, it is the only razor which out-performs the 1912. The G-bar razor is a different, and newer model than either of those we are talking about here. It is a more recent design than these razors.

Regards,
Tom

The razor shown in the video you mention is a 1900/1901 Bar Razor. In my opinion, it is the only razor which out-performs the 1912. The G-bar razor is a different, and newer model than either of those we are talking about here. It is a more recent design than these razors.

I don't currently own any single edge razors. In fact, until today, I had no desire to try one. Then I stumbled across that YouTube video and rather fell in love with the razor shown.

Truth be told, I started this thread in the hope that I'd be told it shaves well and is the one to get. It sounds like you recommend it, so I'm pleased.

However, they seem quite difficult to find. I've not been able to locate one, at least.

Are they expensive as well? I hope they turn out to be obtainable. I'd dearly like to try one.

Actually, I have aquired several of those old 1900/1901 bar razors in the last couple of years and I haven't paid more than $17.00 shipped for the most expensive one. I don't mean to imply that they are available any time you check E-bay but, they do show up from time to time.

As I mentioned earlier, a more readily available and likely less expensive alternative is the 1912. If I had never tried the bar razor, I would still be happily shaving every morning with a 1912 and would be completely satisfied with the quality and comfort of the shaves. In my opinion, either one of these razors beats all the competition, both DE's and other SE's, hands down. I feel that razor design reached it peak around the turn of the last century with the 1900/1901 and the 1912 designs.

Regards,
Tom

Actually, I have aquired several of those old 1900/1901 bar razors in the last couple of years and I haven't paid more than $17.00 shipped for the most expensive one. I don't mean to imply that they are available any time you check E-bay but, they do show up from time to time.

As I mentioned earlier, a more readily available and likely less expensive alternative is the 1912. If I had never tried the bar razor, I would still be happily shaving every morning with a 1912 and would be completely satisfied with the quality and comfort of the shaves. In my opinion, either one of these razors beats all the competition, both DE's and other SE's, hands down. I feel that razor design reached it peak around the turn of the last century with the 1900/1901 and the 1912 designs.

Regards,
Tom

I'd happily give you double what you paid for that razor for one :lol:

I'd happily give you double what you paid for that razor for one :lol:

If each of them wasn't a little different from the others from the standpoint of handles, cases, stamping or engraving, etc. I would consider parting with one of them but, since I'm something of a collector and each of them is somewhat unique, I really intend to keep them all. :001_smile The one that is in the worst shape from the standpoint of more brassing, is the one I use every morning. These are truly great shavers.

Regards,
Tom

Finally had my first shave with a 1912, all I can say is wow. Being a straight user this is a real nice change. Different from DE shaving also. Character all it's own.

Kind regards,

I don't currently own any single edge razors. In fact, until today, I had no desire to try one. Then I stumbled across that YouTube video and rather fell in love with the razor shown.

Truth be told, I started this thread in the hope that I'd be told it shaves well and is the one to get. It sounds like you recommend it, so I'm pleased.

However, they seem quite difficult to find. I've not been able to locate one, at least.

Are they expensive as well? I hope they turn out to be obtainable. I'd dearly like to try one.

Can't help you with getting your own of the 1901 style. If you're patient, you're likely to find one eventually. Saw your WTB notice. It's worth a try.

The 1912 style (has anyone mentioned how great those are?:wink2:) are easy to find. You'll probably find some on B/S/T. Other than that, if you search for "Gem razor" on eBay, you can practically take your pick of 1912s, G-Bars, Featherweights, pushbuttons, and Micromatics. If you're patient, and if you wait until the end of an auction to put in a bid, you can probably get one for $10 or less, shipped.

The GEM Jr. Bar Lather Catcher in that video is pretty damn rare and can cost quite a bit. Wish I had one myself. It's much easier and cheaper to find a 1912.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290406053916&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

See?
The razor you show there is not a Gem Junior Bar 1900/1901. It is considerably rarer and understandably much more costly.

listen to Dave he is da man!
That he is, and D.Irving (from above, saying 1912) is who he's talking about. He's also the man in the video with the Gem Jr. Bar 1900/1901

I'd suggest a 1912 also. You can get lots of nice examples for under $10. Very nearly the shave as the Gem Jr. Bar. I'm still not certain the 1912 isn't superior for me, and I have 3 examples of the Jr. Bar razor (one is actually a Star equivalent). But Tom is also extremely knowledgeable on these wonderful machines.

The 1912 will certainly get you by until you find the far less common Jr. Bar (they aren't on eBay every day, but they do come up- judicious searching may be required).

Top Bottom