What's new

Which open comb version from Above the Tie? M2, R2 or H2?

Why do you like the Wolfman razor better?

Better fit and finish--they're essentially custom made to order. Also they use Feather-style blocks to hold the blade instead of tiny pins.

I bought the head for around $100 and put it on a milled stainless handle I already had.

Hmm not sure of the difference between the pins and blocks you're describing.

Either way he seems to be quite backed up by at least 6 months if not longer. I may place an order when he opens them back up.

Does he make you pay at time of order or not until it ships?

Hmm not sure of the difference between the pins and blocks you're describing.

Blocks (Wolfman first pic) vs. Pins (ATT second pic):

$Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 11.08.48 PM.png$Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 11.09.24 PM.png

I'd prefer blocks as well, though I haven't had any issues with my ATT Atlas.

Ahh I see the difference now. I'm probably going to order an ATT Colosuss now and try to get on the waiting list for the Wolfman's in a couple of months when he reopens the registry up.

But before I pull the trigger on the ATT today, can anyone confirm the 11c is the same as the 34c so I know that the M2 is going to be more aggressive than my 11c?

I have the h2, and I would only recommend it to those who explicitly know that they want a very aggressive razor. From reading the OP's comments, I'd start with the r2 first, it'll be plenty aggressive.

Also, check this out: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/407692-B-amp-B-Modern-Razor-Aggressiveness-Scale

But before I pull the trigger on a Colussus today, can anyone confirm the comparison of the Merkur 11c which I don't see on the but think it's close to the 34c? Which got a 3.5 rating on that list while the ATT R2 got a 6.5 and their H2 got a 9.0.

If that's the case I think the M2 would be perfect for me since it's the mildest razor ATT offers in OC, yet still more aggressive than my 11c.

When you guys speak in terms of a more aggressive razor, does that mean you'll have to shave with less passes?

As it stands I generally only do 2 with the 11c, can usually get pretty close to a baby smooth without going ATG, but you can still see hair roots on my chin since I have dark hair - this is just something that will always be right?

If you're at all concerned about going too aggressive - start with the m1/2 and swap with Stan as necessary. Aggressive may mean a shave with less passes. It may also mean a closer shave with the same number of passes. It can even mean that it cuts hair easier on every pass.

I do a 3 pass + cleanup no matter how aggressive/mild the razor/blade combo is.

When I ordered my ATT I couldn't decide between an M1 and an R1 baseplate. I like a mild shaver, but I have a couple of aggressive razors to which I've adapted so in the end I decided to go with the R1. But after a few months of having the ATT in my stable, I decided to pick up an M1 base plate. Not the end of the world but in hindsight I probably should have tried it first. I think it's easier and safer to be more aggressive with a mild razor than it is to be more careful with an aggressive one. The M1's in the mail, so I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I love the length and weight of my Colossus handle. The knurling took a little getting used to because the pointy ends are pretty sharp. You could probably use it to file your way through prison bars. But I've got large hands, and a longer handle is just a pleasure to hold.

I haven't had any blade shifting due to the pin design, but I do think the Feather's design is better. I make sure to cinch the ATT pretty tight when I load a blade.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with my ATT, and I think you will be, too.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, are ATT & Wolfman the only American made SS safety razors being produced at this time?

Wolfman is a Canadian. From what I've read here, the prices listed are in Canadian dollars, so the $300 CAD razor is roughly $225 USD right now.

Thanks for the info guys, I ended up ordering the R2. I'll try it out and if I feel it's too aggressive or it's giving me the folliculitis issue like the 11c does from time to time, I'll swap it out for the M2.

Good to hear about the Wolfman pricing! Makes it an even sweeter deal. I'll definitely get on his waiting list when he opens it up.

Thanks for the info guys, I ended up ordering the R2. I'll try it out and if I feel it's too aggressive or it's giving me the folliculitis issue like the 11c does from time to time, I'll swap it out for the M2.

Good to hear about the Wolfman pricing! Makes it an even sweeter deal. I'll definitely get on his waiting list when he opens it up.

Great decision! Enjoy!

Top Bottom