What's new

Which open comb version from Above the Tie? M2, R2 or H2?

After years of wanting one since they first came out, I'm finally ready to buy myself the Colossus version of Above The Tie's stainless steel safety razor.

I know I want open comb, but they have 3 variations and not sure which one to get? I realize M2, R2 & H2 determine the razors aggressiveness, but how do I determine how aggressive I want it to be?

I currently use a Merkur 11 ("c" I think?) open comb, but I generally keep a stubble or slightly longer than a stubble beard most of the time. When I do shave it off my skin usually breaks out a bit with tiny white zits (I believe it is called folliculitis?) because it's just not used to being shaved that often and I would say I have sensitive skin maybe? I'm sure if I shaved cleanly on a regular basis it wouldn't be a problem, but since I don't that often, I get the breakout after a 2 pass shave.

When I do shave I shave down and then across my face, never up/against the grain.

I don't want a razor head that is going to require me to shave more than twice, so keep that in mind. I don't think the M2 is right for me? So I'd say it's between the R2 & H2 blade heads, and I'd almost want to just go with the H2 to know that I can get a good, clean, tight shave with it.

Suggestions? Should I just be safe and go with the R2 or man up and go with the H2? I really would only like to buy one blade head because of the price, so I really want to make the right decision and don't have the luxury of experimenting with all 3 different heads.

I also use Feather SS blades if it matters.

Is the knurling on all of their SS handles the same? Seems they're pretty aggressive based on someones review of the colossus on their website? After having the Merkur 11c I'd really like the longer, heavier handle of the Colossus I think, so I'm pretty dead set on that particular handle.

Last edited:
I have an H2 and it is definitely on the aggressive side. I've read the the R is 3/4 of the way to the H as far as aggression. I think I'd try the R and take advantage of the 30 day guarantee to go to the H if you don't think it's for you. Have you thought about the S2?

BTW, the 'c' on Merkur razors just refers to the chrome finish. Yours I read is the OC version of the 34c HD razor.

Also,email Stan and check with him - he knows his razors and his 'stuff'.

Last edited:
OK I sent him a big long email lol

Any idea which head, R2 or H2 is closest to the Merkur 11c? I don't know where the Merkur 11c falls under as far as aggressiveness is concerned.

I would say it's between the M and H but that's a guess. Probably around where the slant is but not as efficient. Again this is a guess from what I've read. My Merkur experience is with the 37c and a lot of time with the 33c.

I found the M2 to be plenty aggressive.

My open-comb stainless razor is a Wolfman, which I personally think outclasses the ATT by a good margin.

I found the M2 to be plenty aggressive.

My open-comb stainless razor is a Wolfman, which I personally think outclasses the ATT by a good margin.

Ok seems most are suggesting the medium R2 for me.

Why do you like the Wolfman razor better? Seems they're all sold out on the website anyways.

I thought ATT was the only American made 303 stainless steel razor on the market. That's exactly what I want. 303 SS and American made!

They do have 1 model that is 4.04", a fair competitor to the Colossus. I am looking for a longer, 4" handle compared to my shorter Merkur 11c one I currently use.

ETA - per Wolfman's website they're still trying to fill order from June/July of this year and aren't even taking new orders until January/February of next year and who knows what the expected delivery date is going to be at that point. Plus they are $300 compared to ATT $185... quite a bit of difference.

Can the quality really be that much better, or it just because it's a new start up company with low production?

Also seems Wolfman use 316 SS which is harder to machine but holders up better overtime than 303. 303 is still really high quality though.

I'm pretty sure ATT Colossus SS handle & heads are in stock and ready to ship right?

Last edited:
I have the h2, and I would only recommend it to those who explicitly know that they want a very aggressive razor. From reading the OP's comments, I'd start with the r2 first, it'll be plenty aggressive.

Also, check this out: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/407692-B-amp-B-Modern-Razor-Aggressiveness-Scale

I don't see the Merkur 11c on the list, but think it's close to the 34c? Which got a 3.5 rating on that list while the ATT R2 got a 6.5 and their H2 got a 9.0.

I think the R2 will be the perfect choice for me.

Too bad Woflman's products aren't available, seems like it would be an awesome razor to have.

They're just going to offer one head variation? I would assume it's going to be a middle of the road in terms of aggressiveness like the R2? I may put myself on their ordering list when they open it back up in a few months. In the mean time I'm going to pick up a Colossus R2 from ATT.

Just out of curiosity, are ATT & Wolfman the only American made SS safety razors being produced at this time?

I think these are US made: Rockwell, Blackbird

The Rockwell has a neat idea with a flipable head so you get 2 different blade exposures.

The Blackbird is also a pretty nice design and the black oxide is a cool new look.

But neither offer an open comb version (I guess I'm just partial to the look)

I would consider picking up a Wolfman down the line, but I think for now I'm going to get the ATT.

Stan emailed me back and he even suggested the S2 (slant version) or the M2 and defintely no more than the R2.

But I'm just not sure if I want a slant head? Stan said theirs are smooth shavers, but I'm just used to/more comfortable to a normal blade and dont really understand the benefit of a slant blade?

Slants are efficient and I think it's right where you want to be but I don't think you can go wrong with an R2 either.

Slants are efficient and I think it's right where you want to be but I don't think you can go wrong with an R2 either.

I can't remember if there was a function with open comb safety razors, but there's just something about them I love the look of them over straight bar, so for that superficial reason alone I'd stick with an open comb head.

Ahh yes, Stan emailed me back and said their S2 is an open combed version.

I think I might just be traditional & go with the M2, he thinks that might be an even better fit for me over the R2, but obviously they have their warranty and stand behind customer satisfaction. I'll be placing my order in the middle of next week for a Colossus M2

Sorry for hijacking the OPs post, but I've been thinking about getting an ATT OC razor for awhile now too. I am a little different in that I tend to like more mild razors(Super Speeds, Techs, 34c) than aggressive ones. I've owned a few aggressive OC razors, most aggressive being a Fatip Piccolo. I didn't really care for how it felt on my face and I got many nicks and weepers while using it. My technique wasn't as good back then as it is now, but I'd rather have something more mild. I like how the razor is made in USA and of stainless steal. Won't have to worry about it falling apart....at least I would hope not for that money.

So that brings me to my question....Is the M2 head more or less/about the same aggressive as the Fatip Piccolo? I originally wanted the Atlas handle, but am starting to like the Kronos handle better as it's a bit longer. Those of you that have the M2 head could you chime in of what your honest opinion is on the M2, the overall shave...does it shave close...leave stubble behind, etc. These factors will help me make my decision as to whether or not I wanna spend the money and get this razor.

I have the h2, and I would only recommend it to those who explicitly know that they want a very aggressive razor. From reading the OP's comments, I'd start with the r2 first, it'll be plenty aggressive.

Also, check this out: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/407692-B-amp-B-Modern-Razor-Aggressiveness-Scale

I don't see the Merkur 11c on the list, but think it's close to the 34c? Which got a 3.5 rating on that list while the ATT R2 got a 6.5 and their H2 got a 9.0.

If that's the case I think the M2 would be perfect for me since it's the mildest razor ATT offers in OC, yet still more aggressive than my 11c.

When you guys speak in terms of a more aggressive razor, does that mean you'll have to shave with less passes?

As it stands I generally only do 2 with the 11c, can usually get pretty close to a baby smooth without going ATG, but you can still see hair roots on my chin since I have dark hair - this is just something that will always be right?

Top Bottom