What's new

Which is the best SR for beginner?

Hello everyone, I've just mastered how to use feathers DX, and I practiced sharpening a knife with Gold Dollars.

Now, I want to buy a 'better' razor. But which supplier's which products are best for beginners? Revisor, Dovo, TI or what?

My budget is about $150. Could any handsome gentlemen give me some advice?:c1:

By the way, I really hope my translation software works properly.

I prefer a brand new item to a used one, The new one looks shiny, that will make me feel better :laugh:

The best razor for a beginner is a shave ready one and unfortunately most isf not all mass produced razors are not shave ready out the box. Ralf Aust comes shave ready and a vintage from a respected vendor are options.

I prefer a brand new item to a used one, The new one looks shiny, that will make me feel better :laugh:
You can get many beautifully restored vintage razors in shave ready condition from reliable vendors which would serve your purposes well.
Dovo Bismarck is a good looking beginner razor if you can get a new one shave ready.

My first razor was a Thiers Issard. Unlike the other TI I got later on new, that first one came shave ready.
It worked out great for me. The round point helps.
2013_10_25.JPG

Hello everyone, I've just mastered how to use feathers DX, and I practiced sharpening a knife with Gold Dollars.

Now, I want to buy a 'better' razor. But which supplier's which products are best for beginners? Revisor, Dovo, TI or what?

My budget is about $150. Could any handsome gentlemen give me some advice?:c1:

By the way, I really hope my translation software works properly.

a lot of this will depend upon where you live and what markets you have available to access.

camo

I wouldn't count out vintage restored, or near perfect vintage ones. My first one was a very old Wostenholm and sons 5/8 all cleaned up and professionally honed up for me. Looked great and shaved perfectly. Another I managed to get was a J.A. Henckels Friodur #17, 7/8 and looked new. It's one of my favorite shaves. I have a Dovo that was supposed to be shave ready, but it's far from that. If it were me, I'd take that $150 budget of yours and find a beautifully restored vintage, made shave ready and just enjoy it.

If you can get a good shave ready vintage then that would be an economical route....but,
If you can stretch to a new Ralph Aust 5/8 or 6/8 then you can be sure of a great start.
I have 5 of them and reckon they are the best razor at that reasonable price point.
I have just bought a Wacker, at a good discount, which is sublime but it wasn't as good out of the box as a RA.

I wouldn't count out vintage restored, or near perfect vintage ones. My first one was a very old Wostenholm and sons 5/8 all cleaned up and professionally honed up for me. Looked great and shaved perfectly. Another I managed to get was a J.A. Henckels Friodur #17, 7/8 and looked new. It's one of my favorite shaves. I have a Dovo that was supposed to be shave ready, but it's far from that. If it were me, I'd take that $150 budget of yours and find a beautifully restored vintage, made shave ready and just enjoy it.
but sir, where can I buy a vintage razor, I mean which website :laugh:

Sir, Is the new Revisor ready to shave?
can't tell you about the new ones.

the one I bought according to the seller......1930's range NOS or untouched.

I didn't have to do much to it to make it shave ready.

hopefully another will chime in and can give you an opinion on this.

camo

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
www.thesuperiorshave.com is a good source for a shave ready Dovo Bismarck and some other models. Jarrod, the proprietor and I assume the entire workforce, is a member here. His edges are definitely shave ready and he hones AFAIK everything he ships unless you ask him not to.

Revisor started out, I believe, by scarfing up all the surplus Solingen forged blades and blanks and scales and stuff, setting them right and selling online. I don't know if they actually make any razors from base materials or not. A lot of makers source forged blanks from the same foundry and so you will often see an exact duplicate sold by two or more makers, with the only difference being scales and blade etching. Revisor does NOT ship their razors shave ready. There are some pretty good prices on their site, and they have a tremendous inventory and variety. Their customer service is a little rough at times but they won't let you down. I would not hesitate to buy from them, but you will need someone skilled in RAZOR honing to make it shave ready for you. No, not a knife sharpener guy. Totally different thing. NEVER let ANYONE who does not shave with a straight razor, hone your straight razor. It will end badly, I promise.

Might I ask what country you are in and from? It will make a big difference.

ANY razor, whether vintage or new, that is claimed to be shave ready on the internet, should be regarded with natural suspicion. Always verify the seller. Best way is to ask on this forum or any other straight razor forum. If it is an ebay seller, you can look at his feedback rating and what he sells. If he only occasionally sells a razor but mostly sells other things, don't buy. If his rating is perfect or near perfect and he makes a lot of sales and mostly has listings for straight razors, could be okay, Assuming he is presenting the razors as shave ready. Obviously if he sells a lot of shave ready razors and gets no negative feedback, his edges are as advertised, right? But it is a small world. The key players all know each other at least by reputation. Ask on a forum. You can post pics and you can post links, as long as they are not links to live auctions.

Honestly, I got started with a $20 razor from Amazon. I destroyed it learning how to hone and got really frustrated, but when I moved to a Dovo Special I knew enough to avoid issues. At least I could put an edge on it when I needed to.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I always recommend a beginner a good second hand razor. You'll got superior stuff for your money, if you don't like it you could easily sell it for the same price, if the vendor says shave ready in most cases they are shave ready. Just have a look in the Buy-Sell-Trade section in this forum, there are always good SRs in your price range. 5/8 razors are the most common beginner razors. The best grind depends on the thickness of your whiskers. The thicker the more wedge to say so. Thick hair - take a near wedge, thin hair - take a hollow ground. The safest headform ist the round tip to begin with.

BTW the Gold Dollars are actual good SRs if their flaws are repaired, the initial grind is often terrible and the scales and rivets are rubbish, but the blade itself is made from a very good steel. If you have a properly honed Gold Dollar you'll probably not find something better fresh from the factory in your estimated price range. A substantial better razor than a good tuned Gold Dollar begins IMHO at 300 USD +.

www.thesuperiorshave.com is a good source for a shave ready Dovo Bismarck and some other models. Jarrod, the proprietor and I assume the entire workforce, is a member here. His edges are definitely shave ready and he hones AFAIK everything he ships unless you ask him not to.

Revisor started out, I believe, by scarfing up all the surplus Solingen forged blades and blanks and scales and stuff, setting them right and selling online. I don't know if they actually make any razors from base materials or not. A lot of makers source forged blanks from the same foundry and so you will often see an exact duplicate sold by two or more makers, with the only difference being scales and blade etching. Revisor does NOT ship their razors shave ready. There are some pretty good prices on their site, and they have a tremendous inventory and variety. Their customer service is a little rough at times but they won't let you down. I would not hesitate to buy from them, but you will need someone skilled in RAZOR honing to make it shave ready for you. No, not a knife sharpener guy. Totally different thing. NEVER let ANYONE who does not shave with a straight razor, hone your straight razor. It will end badly, I promise.

Might I ask what country you are in and from? It will make a big difference.

ANY razor, whether vintage or new, that is claimed to be shave ready on the internet, should be regarded with natural suspicion. Always verify the seller. Best way is to ask on this forum or any other straight razor forum. If it is an ebay seller, you can look at his feedback rating and what he sells. If he only occasionally sells a razor but mostly sells other things, don't buy. If his rating is perfect or near perfect and he makes a lot of sales and mostly has listings for straight razors, could be okay, Assuming he is presenting the razors as shave ready. Obviously if he sells a lot of shave ready razors and gets no negative feedback, his edges are as advertised, right? But it is a small world. The key players all know each other at least by reputation. Ask on a forum. You can post pics and you can post links, as long as they are not links to live auctions.

I come from China, In my country SR is not very popular. Many of men only use electric razor in their lifetimes. Gold dollar is almost the only local razor manufacturer in China. Fortunately, their goods cheap and not bad. I can buy a brand new Gold dollar's razor without grinding it for just $7. Very cheap, isn't it? :laugh: . To practice my grinding techniques, I've ruined my two gold dollar razors.:concern:

Now I get tired of my Gold dollars, and I want to experience the exotic. Chinese transshipment companies are all over the United States and Europe. So it's not very hard to buy razors from other countries.

I think Revisor are not very expensive,they are brand new. But sir you said they are not ready to shave, I might not buy them now.

Top Bottom