What's new

Which Gin?

I will have to revisit Tanqueray at some point, but I don't remember being very fond of it and thinking it was quite overpriced for what it was. I remember it being very astringent and thin but who knows, I was probably drunk at the time.

I will have to revisit Tanqueray at some point, but I don't remember being very fond of it and thinking it was quite overpriced for what it was. I remember it being very astringent and thin but who knows, I was probably drunk at the time.
I should have re-tried it before I wrote about it, I suppose. It has been a while. Perhaps my tastes have changed/become more refined. I think of it as very juniper forward with pine and citrus notes. I know I do not particularly like the 10 or the, what is it?, Rangpur? version. I do like Bombay Sapphire, but what is not to like. Very smooth, etc. Maybe too smooth. I am not looking for vodka. Which is one reason I have never fully understood the Vesper.

Sipsmith seems very good. More modern in that it has more citrus. I like that the Kirkland has some more bite. Bluecoat out of Philly is nice, but very citrus forward. I have not liked the Cooper & Kings gins, not at all. Hendricks is nice with the cucumber notes, but I would not go out of my way. I should make more gin drinks with cucumber. It is a nice pairing.

Historically, I have liked Tanqueray in a gin and tonic and Beefeater in a martini, but the last time I had Beefeater I did not love it. I like Battle Standard Naval Strength in a martini or a gimlet--very juniper forward--but there may be some novelty aspect to that. On some level I do not think that any of us ought to be drinking 142 proof booze. There lies madness. :)

There is something off-putting to me about 80 proof gin in a martini though.

Gin, the thinking man's vodka, as Doc4 says.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Citadelle Gin is excellent. My brother and I used to own good size liquor store and the distributors brought product in to taste so you knew what it was like and could hand sell it. Citadelle was one of the best gins. Right up there with Bombay Sapphire.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have been on a Martini kick lately and it hasn't been using Gin, but basic plain old Smirnoff Vodka instead. I like olives in my Martini's and have been using Pearls Vermouth soaked Red Pepper stuffed olives to great satisfaction. I put 4 on a skewer and leave them it in the mixture while I gently stir it (never shake) with ice for roughly a minute and then strain into a Martini glass that's been sitting in the freezer. The only Vermouth present is from the olives, and is plenty for me. Being a cheapskate I like to save money where I can.

While also being a spirit enthusiast, and trying to respect the original recipe (Gin not Vodka), I'm looking for a Gin to use instead. What's your favorite Gin to use in a very bare-bones Martini?
I have never liked Martinis but a few days ago I drank a Bombay Gin straight up and found it to be rather delightful. Now I realize I don’t like Martinis because of the vermouth. Gin with an olive will be my go to “Martini”.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Plymouth Navy Strength is very tasty in a gin martini, with a nice kick. Another I really like is Bedrock gin, but then I might be a little biased because it's distilled very close to where I live.

I concur with this. I also love it for G&Ts as it dilutes without getting too weak.

I have never liked Martinis but a few days ago I drank a Bombay Gin straight up and found it to be rather delightful. Now I realize I don’t like Martinis because of the vermouth. Gin with an olive will be my go to “Martini”.

Churchill was quoted on this topic a few times, saying he liked his martinis with gin and “a bow in the direction of France” or “with a glance at the vermouth bottle”. 🍸

Reactions: Avi
PEEPS, PEEPS, PEEPS! Enough already. It's Boodles. Gimme' that rectangular bottle any day!
WhaaaaHoooo!
Sincerely,
AL
-Never lift and always run flat out!-

A couple of years ago while on vacation in Florida, we went to a restaurant that was recommended to us (one of those places with no prices on the menu). On a whim, I ordered a Negroni (wife had an Old Fashioned, others had wine). The waiter gave me an odd look and went to fetch our drinks. He brought the drinks to the table but mine was not there. I looked at him and he gestured with his head over to the bar. I looked over and here comes the bartender. He placed it in front of me and said something like "not many request for one of these". So I reached for it with apprehension. Gave it a sip and found it to be perfectly balanced and very tasty! Tipped the glass to the bartender and gave him a nod. Finished up dinner and left a very nice tip. I went to give the bartender a separate but he refused it. I left it at the front for him with a note that said if he did not want it, then to donate it.

And that is how I came to enjoy a good Negroni!

I am a big gin (mostly gin-n-tonic) fan. Have tried the following at home:

Bombay Sapphire
The Botanist
Nolet's Silver
Blue Line (a gin made locally in Lake Placid, NY)

I want to branch out into gin martinis so I did a little a little research and see that Tanqueray #10 Gin is supposedly an excellent choice. In addition to picking up some Tanqueray #10 I also am going to try Uncle Val's Botanical Gin on my next run to the local shop.

Other gins on my "to try" list include Drumshanbo Gunpowder Irish Gin and Roku Gin.

Tim

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Mrs. Columbo loves her gin. For decades and decades. Especially in the summer. Even though I’m a Scotch and Canadian drinker, I will even try an occasional G&T when it breaks 90F.

For a G&T, we have found standard Tanq is the best. As reliable and consistent as the morning sunrise. The trick to a good crisp G&T is not just the gin, but the tonic used. Only Schweppes at our bar.

For quality martinis, we prefer something a little more complex. And for those times, it’s Tanq 10 or Beefeaters 24.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm drinking a lovely Martini at the moment where the gin is 1/2 Beefeater and 1/2 Hendrick's. It was just a matter of finishing up one bottle and not wanting to open another just yet.

I can't say that it's "my drink," but it ain't bad at all. I'll be quite content to do it (or something like it) again under similar circumstances.

Here you go my favourite
20200705_222716.jpg

Top Bottom