What's new

Which Gin?

I have been on a Martini kick lately and it hasn't been using Gin, but basic plain old Smirnoff Vodka instead. I like olives in my Martini's and have been using Pearls Vermouth soaked Red Pepper stuffed olives to great satisfaction. I put 4 on a skewer and leave them it in the mixture while I gently stir it (never shake) with ice for roughly a minute and then strain into a Martini glass that's been sitting in the freezer. The only Vermouth present is from the olives, and is plenty for me. Being a cheapskate I like to save money where I can.

While also being a spirit enthusiast, and trying to respect the original recipe (Gin not Vodka), I'm looking for a Gin to use instead. What's your favorite Gin to use in a very bare-bones Martini?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's truly a matter of personal taste. I tend to rotate among Beefeater (for something crisper), Tanqueray (heavier on the botanicals), and Hendrick's (a wholly different animal).

Half the fun is learning what you like!

It's truly a matter of personal taste. I tend to rotate among Beefeater (for something crisper), Tanqueray (heavier on the botanicals), and Hendrick's (a wholly different animal).

Half the fun is learning what you like!

Crisp sounds just about right, Beefeaters is up next. Thanks Tex!

My personal favorite is Hendrick's. It is a very unique gin that stands above the rest. For an average or just above average gin, tangerauy (spelling?) is good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aviation, or Crater Lake for me. I despise gin though, and these are tolerable for me.

I prefer a Monopolowa or a Medoyeff martini.

I've come to love a Vesper Martini. I part Vodka, 4 parts Gin, 1/2 part Lillet Blonde. Shaken over ice, served up with a lemon twist. I like to use Ketel One and Bombay Sapphire for mine. This is more of a summer drink for me as it is super refreshing. You have to make sure you let it chill long enough. And chill the glasses beforehand and you'll see little bits of ice floating in the drink. But, you have to be careful. They go down like water. At this point I can only handle two before I start to become an idiot. Oh, who am I kidding. I'm always an idiot. But yeah. Two is my limit.

image.png

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've come to love a Vesper Martini. I part Vodka, 4 parts Gin, 1/2 part Lillet Blonde. Shaken over ice, served up with a lemon twist. I like to use Ketel One and Bombay Sapphire for mine. This is more of a summer drink for me as it is super refreshing. You have to make sure you let it chill long enough. And chill the glasses beforehand and you'll see little bits of ice floating in the drink. But, you have to be careful. They go down like water. At this point I can only handle two before I start to become an idiot. Oh, who am I kidding. I'm always an idiot. But yeah. Two is my limit.

View attachment 1045082
Before I quit drinking, this was my favorite Martini. :)

Other than the Vesper, some chilled Bombay Sapphire for gin, Smirnoff or Tito's for vodka in a Martini glass with either a lemon twist or some olives handled my Martini needs. :)

I'll still have one Martini every month or so but that's about it.

For me, a Martini lover, it's Bombay Sapphire, Beefeater, and Plymouth with Bombay being my favorite. These are the type of gins for a classic martini and all three have botanicals in them. If you like a slight cucumber taste then Hendricks may be for you (but not my taste.)

Before I quit drinking, this was my favorite Martini. :)

Other than the Vesper, some chilled Bombay Sapphire for gin, Smirnoff or Tito's for vodka in a Martini glass with either a lemon twist or some olives handled my Martini needs. :)

I'll still have one Martini every month or so but that's about it.

I hear you. I've cut back on my drinking volume considerably. I won't pick it up again until I can get a handle on my general health. Meaning more exercise and less eating.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I like Aviation gin, but not in a Martini. That lavender note starts to grind on me. I'm a big fan of lavender, but Aviation's lavender is too much for me unless it's balanced out more than any Martini will.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I hear you. I've cut back on my drinking volume considerably. I won't pick it up again until I can get a handle on my general health. Meaning more exercise and less eating.

I was a BIG drinker for 38 years. Loved my whiskey and whisky (with the occasional Martini) a lot.

Also collected and drank a LOT of wine.

Just flat got bored with booze.

I was a BIG drinker for 38 years. Loved my whiskey and whisky (with the occasional Martini) a lot.

Also collected and drank a LOT of wine.

Just flat got bored with booze.

I don't know that I can ever get bored of good wine. I still go nuts over a good Chateauneuf du Pape, Brunello di Montalcino, Barolo, Bordeaux or Cabernet. But I also don't miss it all that much either, until I see a bottle that I'd like to try. Like a Nickel and Nickel. We have way too much booze in the house at the moment but I'm not drinking it. I'd say I'm down to about a drink or two a week. Which is essentially nothing.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I still have a 1954 Margeaux, two 1957 Chateaux Petrus, two 1961 Chateau Cos D'Estournel St Estephe and a whole bunch of stuff between there and the early 2000s.

Used to love big chewy reds that make your jaw hurt. ;)

View attachment 1045082

I used to love making Vespers.......but man.....that one is dangerously smooth. Drinking one of those is like scuba diving in the Blue Hole with one oxygen tank and no tri-mix. Next thing you know you're at a depth of 100m and not coming back like Yuri Lipski.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I used to love making Vespers.......but man.....that one is dangerously smooth. Drinking one of those is like scuba diving in the Blue Hole with one oxygen tank and no tri-mix. Next thing you know you're at a depth of 100m and not coming back like Yuri Lipski.

I hear you. I was on a cruise and poured the of those down my gullet before I knew what was happening.

Oh yeah. Which is what makes them so darn good. Talking about them now only makes me wish for summer. And here we are at the beginning of winter. Guess I'll just have to suffer with my Lagavulin 16.

As to gins, I seem to like them all. But lately have been on a Sipsmith martini binge. Although I think I like it better in gin and tonics, but those Portugese gin and tonics that are loaded with all sorts of things besides lime. Sipsmith is a British craft gin that seems to be showing up around here now at reasonable prices, that I first had in Europe.

It is a dangerous thing, but my favorite martini is probably Navy stength Battle Standard gin from Virginia. Perry's Tot Navy stength is good, too.

Recently picked up some Bombay London Dry Gin (not Sapphire) on sale. It's good, but much too sweet for me. Flavor is really good, but I'll take my straight Smirnoff giving the vermouth the read-between-the-lines treatment over it any day of the week garnished with Pearl's Red Pepper stuffed olives.

Top Bottom