What's new

What Are Stuffed Turkey Wings, And Where Did They Originate?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My dear Culinaries:
I found this article (cuisine and culture), about a dish that's truly a Lafayette (3hrs SE as the crow fly's), Louisiana favorite & original. :thumbsup:

By Matthew Wilson - Daily Meal - Oct 13, 2023

"When most people think of a turkey dinner, they imagine the whole bird prepped and stuffed for a Thanksgiving or Sunday dinner. But as with a chicken, you can cook individual parts of a turkey as well. In particular, turkey wings are a delicacy, especially in some parts of the country.

In Louisiana, turkey wings are steeped in Creole culture, with a local favorite being a spicy stuffed variety.

So, what exactly are stuffed wings? While you may be thinking of dressing typical of holidays, that mixture is probably best served inside a whole turkey. Instead, stuffed turkey wings are filled with a vegetable mixture of carrots, garlic, [peppers, celery, and onions...The Holy Trinity of the South].

This gives the turkey meat a spicy flavor that raises the heat in a way that is indicative of many Louisiana dishes. Within the state, onions, celery, and peppers are particularly popular due to their flavor-boosting qualities, so it only makes sense that the mixture would factor into these Creole-stuffed turkey wings.

proxy.php

It makes sense that stuffed turkey wings are popular in Louisiana because the state is their birthplace. Specifically, you can trace this recipe back to Lafayette, Louisiana, where one business owner helped make a name for herself during the 1960s.

Ask some of the locals in Lafayette where the best place to get stuffed turkey wings is, and they might direct you to Laura's II. The restaurant is a local favorite serving fried catfish, ribs, and yes, stuffed turkey wings.

The recipe was created by Laura Williams Broussard, who began serving food out of her personal kitchen in 1968. As the popularity of her cooking grew, Broussard opened a restaurant in the town.

Broussard's granddaughter Madonna followed her in the family business, opening up Laura's II in 2000. She began serving many of her grandmother's recipes including stuffed turkey wings.

Originally, stuffed turkey wings were just a weekday special, but acclaim for the dish made the restaurant add it to the regular menu. In fact, the dish proves to be so popular that there's often a backorder. Laura's II struggles to keep up with the demand for the menu item. In fact, customers will often call ahead to make an order for the dish for the next day. According to local accounts, the turkey legs typically sell out around noon as a result.

proxy.php

Laura Broussard's recipe appears to be the origin of the dish in America, but stuffed poultry wings have been around for longer. Stuffed chicken wings are popular in Asian culture, for instance, but they don't have the same spices as the Creole-based dish.

While stuffed turkey wings are popular in Louisiana, the dish doesn't seem to have made the jump to mass appeal outside the state. That's more likely due to its relative obscurity than anything else. If you don't live in the Lafayette area, your best bet for trying the dish is to cook it yourself". [...]

Read More: Stuffed Turkey Legs

proxy.php
"And still today we hand your plate with a southern term of endearment ("Baby"), which is so sincere". Chef Madonna Broussard, Owner of Laura's II restaurant

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Yummmm.... You're probably going to need to get off the beaten path and make some Creole friends to have your mind blown with these. I certainly could be wrong, but I doubt they are showing up on a lot of menus in NOLA. Great rural food takes inexpensive ingredients, some know-how passed down generations and a lot of love.
Chef:
...they tell me there's is a saying down here somewhere;

proxy.php
"Dites-moi [ce que] vous aimez, et je vous dirai qui vous êtes". Proverbe Créole (“Tell me [what] you love, and I'll tell you who you are".) Creole proverb

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
My dear Culinaries:
I found this article (cuisine and culture), about a dish that's truly a Lafayette (3hrs SE as the crow fly's), Louisiana favorite & original. :thumbsup:

"When most people think of a turkey dinner, they imagine the whole bird prepped and stuffed for a Thanksgiving or Sunday dinner. But as with a chicken, you can cook individual parts of a turkey as well. In particular, turkey wings are a delicacy, especially in some parts of the country.

In Louisiana, turkey wings are steeped in Creole culture, with a local favorite being a spicy stuffed variety.

So, what exactly are stuffed wings? While you may be thinking of dressing typical of holidays, that mixture is probably best served inside a whole turkey. Instead, stuffed turkey wings are filled with a vegetable mixture of carrots, garlic, [peppers, celery, and onions...The Holy Trinity of the South].

This gives the turkey meat a spicy flavor that raises the heat in a way that is indicative of many Louisiana dishes. Within the state, onions, celery, and peppers are particularly popular due to their flavor-boosting qualities, so it only makes sense that the mixture would factor into these Creole-stuffed turkey wings.

proxy.php

It makes sense that stuffed turkey wings are popular in Louisiana because the state is their birthplace. Specifically, you can trace this recipe back to Lafayette, Louisiana, where one business owner helped make a name for herself during the 1960s.

Ask some of the locals in Lafayette where the best place to get stuffed turkey wings is, and they might direct you to Laura's II. The restaurant is a local favorite serving fried catfish, ribs, and yes, stuffed turkey wings.

The recipe was created by Laura Williams Broussard, who began serving food out of her personal kitchen in 1968. As the popularity of her cooking grew, Broussard opened a restaurant in the town.

Broussard's granddaughter Madonna followed her in the family business, opening up Laura's II in 2000. She began serving many of her grandmother's recipes including stuffed turkey wings.

Originally, stuffed turkey wings were just a weekday special, but acclaim for the dish made the restaurant add it to the regular menu. In fact, the dish proves to be so popular that there's often a backorder. Laura's II struggles to keep up with the demand for the menu item. In fact, customers will often call ahead to make an order for the dish for the next day. According to local accounts, the turkey legs typically sell out around noon as a result.

proxy.php

Laura Broussard's recipe appears to be the origin of the dish in America, but stuffed poultry wings have been around for longer. Stuffed chicken wings are popular in Asian culture, for instance, but they don't have the same spices as the Creole-based dish.

While stuffed turkey wings are popular in Louisiana, the dish doesn't seem to have made the jump to mass appeal outside the state. That's more likely due to its relative obscurity than anything else. If you don't live in the Lafayette area, your best bet for trying the dish is to cook it yourself". [...]

proxy.php
"And still today we hand your plate with a southern term of endearment ("Baby"), which is so sincere". Chef Madonna Broussard, Owner of Laura's II restaurant
I've made buffalo turkey wings in the past. Excellent football food. :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
When I was in the upper Midwest/High Plains a turkey leg at the fair was deep fried, not barbecued. Fair food; it's the best.

O.H.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My dear Culinaries:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

An excellent read, thanks!

We called it the "Cajun trinity," though I could be mistaken. Very fortunate here on the Gulf Coast to have a strong foody influence from our west. Boneless stuffed chicken (crawfish stuffing), red beans and rice, boudin rice & liver sausage, blackened redfish, turtle soup, gator bites, king cake, all that stuff. Fried boudin balls (don't snicker) are the best fried "fair food" kinda thing IMO.

AA

An excellent read, thanks!

We called it the "Cajun trinity," though I could be mistaken. Very fortunate here on the Gulf Coast to have a strong foody influence from our west. Boneless stuffed chicken (crawfish stuffing), red beans and rice, boudin rice & liver sausage, blackened redfish, turtle soup, gator bites, king cake, all that stuff. Fried boudin balls (don't snicker) are the best fried "fair food" kinda thing IMO.

AA
Just made a batch of Boudin sausage two or three weeks ago. Great stuff, although it turns out my wife is not a fan of liver. Oh well, more for me to enjoy.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just made a batch of Boudin sausage two or three weeks ago. Great stuff, although it turns out my wife is not a fan of liver. Oh well, more for me to enjoy.

Neither are we (well. Beef liver) but it's just meaty pork liver bits in that tasty rice sausage ... Lucky us, do have one in the fridge, need to cook it. Too lazy to make true boudin balls, I just cut into pieces and air fry. Dee-lish.

AA

Top Bottom