What's new

Which Gin?

Just reviewed this Highclere Castle gin (in acquisitions thread). Bombay Sapphire is my go to gin. The Aviation was a gift I’m waiting to crack when the giver returns. The Strange Monkey is a niche product from a small distillery in Virginia that was a gift from my daughter in Norfolk. It makes a great dry Martini.
FC4B2564-CA69-40BA-B485-25863BD304EB.jpeg

I've always drank Bombay Sapphire, but I just bought a bottle of Tanqueray to try for the first time. The two are pretty different. Tanqueray has a lot of juniper notes and is a bit fuller and stronger, whereas the Sapphire is complex with more citrus and botanicals. I'm disappointed with Tanqueray for martinis, but for gin and tonic, I like it a bit better than Sapphire.

I like Hendricks gin a lot, but the prominent cucumber and rose notes make it very different from most gins. They are not for everyone, but I enjoy them.

If you are looking for true gin, stay away from New Amsterdam! That stuff is basically lemon-lime vodka masquerading as gin. As far as I know, the marketing is geared toward people who don't like gin because they don't like juniper.

I've only had Beefeater once, but it was good! I've seen it sell for 3/4 the price of Sapphire/Tanqueray and 1/2 the price of Hendricks. Definitely a good value!

I've been a gin drinker for nigh onto 50 years now. While I can't say I've tried every one of them, I've tried my share and have to say that (for me) London Dry gins are best gins.
Tanqueray is my go to, but Beefeater, Brokers, and Boodles are good as well. Plymouth gin on occasion. I was a huge fan of Bombay Sapphire for the longest time but a couple years ago all of a sudden it seemed to have an odd taste to it. Whether they changed something or I changed I have no idea, but using BS in a G&T became an exercise in choking it down. Now, for a martini, BS is still a good choice. Go figure.
In my younger days when I had much less disposable income, my go to gin was Gordons. I keep meaning to pick up a bottle and try it out again but haven't as yet. Maybe tomorrow as I'll be getting out and about.
In the meantime, for tonight on the deck watching day turn into night it will be this: heavy base double old-fashion glass filled with cracked ice, a slice of lime, 2/3 full of Tanqueray and 1/3 full of Fever Tree Mediterranean tonic water. And since I retired in March, I have no anxiety about having to go to work tomorrow.

A noble effort, my good man.
Quinine is good for Malaria, and Tangueray is good for the soul!
Together they effectively cure one of dwelling on the present state of affairs.

This is a total aside and NOT an endorsement of hydroxychloroquine for CVD-19 but the on target mechanism of HCQ is actually the same mechanism of quinine [ HCQ as an antimalarial was designed as a safer quinine ], so while we are buzzed and speculating I say G&T's all around for our modern CVD-19 2020 age ;) [ Our wine fridge is a 30% tonic and 15% Guinness ;) ]

I tend to go for beefeater, yea it's a cheaper gin, but I think for the price it's pretty good. not too much of a gin guy, so buying a more expensive one wouldn't make sense for me personally.

My take for a long time, before all these artisanal and otherwise premium gins, was Beefeaters for martinis, Tanqueray for g&ts. I think I would stick with that style-wise, even today. It has been a long time since I have had Beefeaters. I think Tanqueray holds up, although I do not think I much like any of its special expressions.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I completely agree. Beefeater punches far above it's price point, especially in a Martini.

Agreed. Among the major London Dry types, Beefeater is a more balanced all-purpose Gin than standard Tanq. The potent juniper theme in the latter makes a terrific G&T when well garnished, but for a merely passable Martini.

Beefeaters has a little more range, and makes a decent drink no matter the cocktail. If I were forced to service the entire drink card with just one moderate-priced gin, it would be Beefeaters.

Tanq 10 and Beefeaters 24 are completely different beasts, both make delicious Martinis, but for very different reasons.

It’s good to have more gin options if your bar permits.

Some of you will know of Atlas Bar here with its collection of 1000+ gins, and its Juniper Society which holds gin tastings. The missus and I went for one last week where the theme was pepper as a botanical - all still had juniper as a base. We tried 3 as usual, all neat. The star was Ki No Bi, from Kyoto. It was definitely a dry gin, but with Japanese botanicals, such as green sansho peppercorns, yellow yuzu and bamboo (according to my notes!).

After the tasting we repaired to the bar where I tried it in a Vesper - it was delicious, and decidedly dangerous as I could easily had a goodly number more. It's 45.7% ABV and according to the interweb about GBP45 so perhaps not an every day gin but worth a look if you see it on a drinks list.

The liquor store had a sale the other week on Haymans London Dry. A sucker for sale on a gin I haven't tried, had to try it, make a very nice Martini.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I usually have Beefeater but have sampled a few more modern gins. Some I have really liked include Caorunn, St. George Botanivore, and Bluecoat. For something very assertive but delicious, St. George Terroir, heavy on fir.

While Beefeaters used to be my go to, lately I've been thoroughly enjoying both Gordon's and Seagram's in gin and tonics. Unlike whiskey, I don't find a really significant quality difference between these budget brands and the top shelf. Taste differences, sure, and maybe in a martini or gimlet I'd have a stronger preference, but I rarely drink those anymore.

Nothing quite like a chilled glass of Hendricks on a hot summer's day. A very unusual cucumber flavor which may not be to everyone's liking, but is superb for just cooling down.

Berry bros London dry gin is also a new find, really good. May be a little too dry sometimes, but a reliable drink.

Tried a Plymouth English gin recently, didn't care for it. Bombay Sapphire is always delightful.

Well, what can I say. The 007 in my nick, comes from martinis. As a teenager I drank Gordon's. In my twenties I drank Bombay Sapphire, in my thirties I drank Tanqueray, and now in my forties I've discovered Tranum Mølle and will try more Danish gins. They keep winning prices, so I guess I can't go completely wrong with them. Tranum Mølle is definitely a gin that tastes of juniper, and lots of them. It's good both in martinis and sipping on its own. But from what I hear, most Danish gins tastes like anything but. However I'm not someone to shy from trying something new. So I'm going to try all of them... Eventually

Currently: Aviation. It's good. I previously had a Virginia gin(Catoctin Creek). It didn't taste like gin which was fine but I wanted a Gin Gin. I also liked Bluecoat

Sampled Bombay Sapphire in a G&T yesterday afternoon. Never tried BS before. Delicious. Prefer it to the cucumber of Hendrick’s.

Top Bottom