What's new

How dry do folks like their martinis?

As an example of DRY humor,

I like the mixing instructions from The Kingsman movie:

"... while looking at a bottle of vermouth."
Winston Churchill would reportedly pour a glass of gin, then bow in the direction of France, the wellspring of (dry) Vermouth.

I have cast my lot with Italy. For me there is no dry vermouth except Carpano Dry. 5:1 or 6:1 depending on mood.

Generally the gin is St George Terroir or whatever random London style thing I might be trying. I like a lot of different gins, but to me things like Roku and Ki No Bi and The Monkey are too nuanced and interesting on their own to even consider adding vermouth.

I found this thread while sipping the same magic concoction. According to Greg in the YouTube series ”How to Drink”, dry refers to the style of gin back in the late 20th early 21st century. But in the spirit of the original question, this is so much like shaving. What you like is right. I like gin simply, even with just a couple of ice cubes. My current love of martinis is based on Greg’s martini video, I tried various mixtures of vermouth and gin. I favour more vermouth, approaching almost 2 gin to 1 vermouth. Greg‘s suggestion of a dash or 2 of orange bitters was a game changer.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom