What's new

Which are the best Barbershop Scents?

As is obvious from the comments on this topic "Barbershop" scent is elusive to define, and is not of one piece. But you also initially wrote "clean, freshly bathed and shaved smell" ... and you mention La Toja soap as an example.
It strikes me that noone has mentioned Mitchell's Wool Fat yet. MWF is exactly that, a clean, freshly bathed and shaved scent. It might be right up your alley, and the soaps performance is second to none if you get the hang of lathering it right.
Another excellent Spanish soap which scent-wise is comparable to La Toja, is LEA.
Yet another great product which I find it odd that noone has mentioned yet, is Floid aftershave (the one called "The Genuine"). I think the scent of this aftershave is often called "barbershop", along with "powdery". It's one of my absolute favourite aftershaves, both scent-wise and performance-wise ... not too intrusive ... and it goes very well with soap scents like MWF.
Then there is the actual barbershop experience - if that is any measure of what "barbershop" scents are like. My experience with old fashioned barbershops are from India too, and Sri Lanka. One lingering scent that I recall is coconut ...!! They use coconut oil liberally for hair styling, the scent is every-where (though it's NOT one of my favourite scents!). One of my first straight-razor shaves in south Asia was topped off with a great aftershave - I did not notice the name, but from what I now know, it was very comparable to Floid, mentioned above (it might well have been Floid, same orange colour too).
In terms of soap in traditional-style barbershops in Europe, where many are run by folks of Turkish descent, what other soap to think of but -- ARKO..! Yes, if there is one soap that defines literal "barbershop" scent to me, it's gotta be Arko! (I doubt you will find a hore that smells like THAT!)

As is obvious from the comments on this topic "Barbershop" scent is elusive to define, and is not of one piece. But you also initially wrote "clean, freshly bathed and shaved smell" ... and you mention La Toja soap as an example.
It strikes me that noone has mentioned Mitchell's Wool Fat yet. MWF is exactly that, a clean, freshly bathed and shaved scent. It might be right up your alley, and the soaps performance is second to none if you get the hang of lathering it right.
Another excellent Spanish soap which scent-wise is comparable to La Toja, is LEA.
Yet another great product which I find it odd that noone has mentioned yet, is Floid aftershave (the one called "The Genuine"). I think the scent of this aftershave is often called "barbershop", along with "powdery". It's one of my absolute favourite aftershaves, both scent-wise and performance-wise ... not too intrusive ... and it goes very well with soap scents like MWF.
Then there is the actual barbershop experience - if that is any measure of what "barbershop" scents are like. My experience with old fashioned barbershops are from India too, and Sri Lanka. One lingering scent that I recall is coconut ...!! They use coconut oil liberally for hair styling, the scent is every-where (though it's NOT one of my favourite scents!). One of my first straight-razor shaves in south Asia was topped off with a great aftershave - I did not notice the name, but from what I now know, it was very comparable to Floid, mentioned above (it might well have been Floid, same orange colour too).
In terms of soap in traditional-style barbershops in Europe, where many are run by folks of Turkish descent, what other soap to think of but -- ARKO..! Yes, if there is one soap that defines literal "barbershop" scent to me, it's gotta be Arko! (I doubt you will find a hore that smells like THAT!)
Mitchell's Wool Fat is my favorite soap of all time.

I like Mike's.
I went through several "Barbershop" scents before I found what I was seeking.
Mike's + Coachman + Clubman Talc = the barbershop from my childhood.
All that's missing is the smell of Saddle Soap and Kiwi from the old black gentleman running the shoe shine chair.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
When I want a classic American barbershop scent I concentrate on post shave products. I might start with Williams soap or Noxzema or Gillette foam. A healthy splash of a cheap bay rum like Stephans or Gabels followed by a dusting about the neck and shoulders with some Pinaud Clubman talc. Yankee Doodle Dandy!

I also like the Italian barbershop experience. Proraso green soap and splash, or perhaps Cella soap and Floid or Vitos Aftershaving (now relabeled as "Amber"). In the warmer weather I reach for my Turkish barbershop kit, featuring my beloved Arko soap and a lemon cologne.

Of all the barbershop shaving soaps I have used, Sterling is my personal favorite. Not only is the scent wonderful, but the performance of the soap is pretty much second to none. Great value too.

I tried Shannon's Soap Rebrab, which is supposed to be a barbershop scent. It isn't, but it is a very good performing soap.

In terms of soap in traditional-style barbershops in Europe, where many are run by folks of Turkish descent, what other soap to think of but -- ARKO..! Yes, if there is one soap that defines literal "barbershop" scent to me, it's gotta be Arko! (I doubt you will find a whore that smells like THAT!)
MWF smells like lavender, vanilla, and bergamot to me, with a hint of spice. It evokes the same 'feeling' as Barbasol, though I don't know as they really smell anything at all alike. Barbasol being a bit more forward with the cologne base than MWF, I think.

And yeah, it's a bit odd that the best American barbershop scent is made by an English company. (If you consider that type of scent barbershoppy).

Sweet Almond/Marzipan will always be the barbershop scent of Italy, just as industrial lemon cleaner is Turkey's barbershop scent. Dr. Selby's artificial lemony lavender is probably Uruguay's traditional barbershop scent, being nearly the only wet shaving brand in the country.

I'm not sure what Germany's barbershop scent would be. The iconic Tabac? Or the equally iconic Speick?

Top Bottom