What's new

Which are the best Barbershop Scents?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Not long before he retired, Brian Mulreany, the former owner of Executive Shaving Company, started using Acca Kappa Barbershop... not to be confused with their other shaving soaps. He said it had become his favorite shaving soap, so I bought some. I have to say... I have a few great soaps but this softer soap, more of a croap, provides a luxurious lather with almost zero effort. It's in my 4 soap/croap/cream rotation. It has a clean but light scent, which works for my sensitive skin. There is a light menthol finish to it.

I’m a huge fan of Barrbarr by Noble Otter.

It is currently at the top for me across the board.
It is a great every day casual scent for the distinguished gentleman.
I have yet to try the new balm though.
Next re-order I plan on getting it, and perhaps the EDP.
This scent just seems to work well with my body chemistry and is just the right strength and the scent lasts a good while.
Not a surprise for me, Thé Noir et Vanille is my go to for formal settings.

Around here there are a lot of Indian barbershops that give the traditional works. Hot towels, straight razors, face and head massage, etc. I don't care for the aftershave most of them use, so I decline. However, there are upper scale barbershops, too, like Truefitt and Hill and a few others. I feel fortunate to still be able to find those sorts of things. Sadly, they are a rarity back home in the States.

I have only tried Ghost Town Barber and RR Blue Barbershop. GTB is more dominated by baby powder scents; BB is a low key scent that is hard to describe, but I find it very calming and consider it to be one of RR’s best scents.

To me the classic barbershop is Pinaud Clubman scent. The Pinaud Clubman shave soap has a hint of that scent, but not enough for me to recommend it as barbershop. Both CBL and PAA have a very good Clubman scented soap. Barrister & Mann Reserve, though not Clubman, is also very close. I am a huge fan of the Ghost Town Barber and it's got elements of Clubman, coupled with gunpowder and leather.

I got a sample of Barbershop from Stirling as well a sample of Cool from Barrister and Mann over the past few months. I've already mentioned The Master by Zingari and Barrbarr by Noble Otter as favorites. Stirling's Barbershop might be one of the least offensive/most crowd pleasing scents I've smelled since trying out stuff from all these artisans. I'm warming to Cool but it's not my favorite. With that being said, I actually am reminded of a barbershop when I smell Cool where as I don't really get that vibe from Noble Otter and Stirling's offerings and that isn't a negative to be honest.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Mike's Natural Soaps Barbershop
Zingari Man The Wanderer
Zingari Man The Master
Wet the Face Modern Barbershop
Castle Forbes 1445
Moon Soaps Union
Barrister and Mann Seville
Black Ship Grooming Classic

Of all the barbershop scents I listed, my absolute favorite is Wet the Face Modern Barbershop.

To me the classic barbershop is Pinaud Clubman scent. The Pinaud Clubman shave soap has a hint of that scent, but not enough for me to recommend it as barbershop. Both CBL and PAA have a very good Clubman scented soap. Barrister & Mann Reserve, though not Clubman, is also very close. I am a huge fan of the Ghost Town Barber and it's got elements of Clubman, coupled with gunpowder and leather.
Agree on Pinaud Clubman being the classic scent I'd associate with a barbershop.

Top Bottom