What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Sorry, I should have asked does Tabac shave soap stick (which I consider a soft soap) have a use by or best before date?

I am currently looking into sourcing a 10 year supply of Tabac shave soap sticks.

If you look at the ingredients list for the soap refill and the shave stick, the soap and the shave stick have identical ingredients in the exact same order, so if I were a betting man, I'd say a stick would hold up as well as the soap puck.
Maybe dropping it in a plastic bag would also help.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
My Amazon puck arrived today, and I’m happy to report it is the tallow version.

Attachments

• AD1AE444-1A98-4DA7-AB78-99FE276E1D86.jpeg
    AD1AE444-1A98-4DA7-AB78-99FE276E1D86.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 48
  • 0807BA13-2EC9-4C17-9FE4-4ED98F910EAA.jpeg
    0807BA13-2EC9-4C17-9FE4-4ED98F910EAA.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 50
Sorry, I should have asked does Tabac shave soap stick (which I consider a soft soap) have a use by or best before date?

I am currently looking into sourcing a 10 year supply of Tabac shave soap sticks.

I'm curious as to why you consider it a soft soap.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding

I am lucky to have several Tabac tallow pucks and also a travel stick and refills, none of them have any use by or best before date. They will last you for decades although I would consider refrigeration in Cebu, or perhaps relocate to Baguio or Tagaytay 😁

Well, I never tried the Haslinger tallow formula. I did try the vegetable based formula and was not impressed. It was not that easy to load and lather, it was not that great at protecting my face from the blade and the post shave conditioning was lacking. The good things about the formula were that it was very slick (10/10) and the residual slickness was good (9/10). It did not dry out my face, but neither did it leave it feeling great. Overall, I rated the new Schafmilch formula 48/60 which is 80%. That places it as minimally acceptable in my evaluation. Of my collection of over 200 soaps, I have evaluated 13 that ranked even lower.

Tabac tallow formula was one of the few traditional hard soaps that I recommended. I rated it 57/60 (95%) which I consider to be excellent. Even though it is a hard soap, it lathers easily. The slickness and cushion are excellent. The post shave is quite good, even though it is not up to the standard set by some artisan soaps. Thus, I will be interested to see if the revised formula lives up to the standard set by the tallow formula.

Just out of curiosity, how would you rate D.R. Harris?
I have a puck of Marlborough that I'll be using in the next few days.

It may as prescribed by the manufacturer, but to be honest if kept in a cool dry place there's no reason hard soaps wouldn't last a lifetime.
I have soaps in my rotation that were made in the 1960's and they perform perfectly well, including Old Spice vintage, Williams Tallow first version, etc.
Scent may decrease over time, but I've not seen any evidence that efficacy is affected.
I can't say if this is true of soft soaps or creams, having no experience in that matter.

I don't know about all creams, but I am currently using a tub of GFT Sandalwood that I started using more than seven years ago. When I moved to AZ from FL I packed it up and recently found it and started using it. It is now as hard as Cella but retains its scent and performance.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
My order came in today and is the Tallow version as well.
Unfortunately it is likely my last Tabac purchase.
To be honest, I have too many other great soaps to even worry about whether the changed version is good or not.
I feel the same; I ordered 2 more Tabac sticks but that’ll likely be the end of my Tabac purchases. I don’t see the artisan space drying up in the next couple of decades.

I feel the same; I ordered 2 more Tabac sticks but that’ll likely be the end of my Tabac purchases. I don’t see the artisan space drying up in the next couple of decades.
I ordered a Tabac Shave Bowl and one refill. As often as I use Tabac that should hold me for years. Perhaps by then dwindling sales will convince the manufacturer to go back to the original formulation.

I wouldn’t worry about it, not every soap with tallow performs like Tabac does anyways. I’m sure their chem whiz-bangs made it better if anything.

Unfortunately the whiz-bangs seemed to have whizzed instead of banged. See OP's trials post 102;

This could just be a marketing move…

Start a rumor, watch people freak out and buy up all the available stock.

Profit.
See OP's post #8, photo of ingredients list;

Top Bottom