What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

So, I tested Tabac's new formula twice now... and each time I was left very disappointed with the performance.
The quality of the lather appears to be quite poor, in comparison to the previous formulation; it never had that rich, oily consistency that feels protective and slick on your face. This new one didn't feel slick or protective at all. I even made sure to spend extra time building and hydrating the lather on the second attempt, but it just never felt slick and protective. I felt like I was shaving with a poor quality bath soap, rather than a shaving soap. I didn't even finish the first pass before aborting the mission and changing soaps. Even when I hold the wet puck of Tabac in my hands, it still doesn't feel very slick.

If anybody else is able to get better results with this new formula, please let me know. In the meantime, this soap will be making its way into my bath soap rotation.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So, I tested Tabac's new formula twice now... and each time I was left very disappointed with the performance.
The quality of the lather appears to be quite poor, in comparison to the previous formulation; it never had that rich, oily consistency that feels protective and slick on your face. This new one didn't feel slick or protective at all. I even made sure to spend extra time building and hydrating the lather on the second attempt, but it just never felt slick and protective. I felt like I was shaving with a poor quality bath soap, rather than a shaving soap. I didn't even finish the first pass before aborting the mission and changing soaps. Even when I hold the wet puck of Tabac in my hands, it still doesn't feel very slick.

If anybody else is able to get better results with this new formula, please let me know. In the meantime, this soap will be making its way into my bath soap rotation.

I'm saddened to hear that.

That's not good news... care to post any lather pics?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Well I ordered a refill puck from Amazon (Peter Pann is the seller); the description on the page shows the tallow formula. Let’s see what actually arrives.

@theklaw sorry to hear that. Unreal that the standard which to compare shaving soaps goes veggie and face plants in the process. I fear this is the end of Tabac. Maybe some corporate officer at M&W has focus group data indicating woke vegans are going to flock en mass to Tabac sans tallow. :lol:

Proraso are you listening? Valobra - serious opportunity for a fine tallow soap just opened up.

edit: Contact page for Proraso, already wrote asking for a relaunch of Valobra as it was.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Tabac or not Tabac, that is the question......

Thanks for the heads up.
I have a puck in the post to check if my local seller has old stock or new without tallow before ordering any more.

Sad to hear that, and they mocked the purchases during the last Tabac shortage... well, I got a tub, two refills & a travel stick...
Screenshot_20210723-141656.png

Cheers

Due to the ingredience list I would suggest that it won't hold much water. I guess it will, like so many, go more for a pasty lather (which normal drug store customers sseem to like, I guess because of canned shaving foam). The slickness would be due to the relatively high glycerin content. So, I would try a "less is more" approach, less water, less time to lather up.
But in the end I will have to try it some time, then we will see for sure.

Top Bottom