What's new

What's your pet peeve about wet shaving?

Not trolling @Alum Ladd, you've seen me enough around here to know that. And I'm not at all interested in raking my face with cartridges for a mediocre shave, @user9. I just wish I could cut the time down a bit, as I shave in the morning on weekdays and time is tight. Yes, I could go for a DFS 2-pass, but once one has that luxurious lather and delicious scents going, how can you stop? :)
I am awarding trolling and SPAM because I like the nice little pictures.

proxy.php

I slice my Spam thin, fry it, and make SLT (Spam, Lettuce, and Tomato) sandwiches with a bit of mayo. It's a "comfort food" that we ate as children and I still love it.
My dear departed Mum was a library of information about life in the 1930's and the war years. She had a photographic memory and enjoyed talking about the past.

She said she first had SPAM while working in the Bristows soap factory in summer 1941. She was 16 and doing a 50 hour week. She was in the warehouse moving carts of wooden cases to the lorries. Taller than her and I never recall her being more than 5 foot. Soap making was considered vital war work. Her foreman called her group the horses. Not in a good way. It was a time for tough people.

It was served in bread rolls in the breaks. This would have been about the time FDR announced huge tinned food exports to the UK as part of Lend Lease. I checked, and SPAM was part of the new points system we had here, along with powdered egg, tinned fruits and cheese, and milk, and other luxuries, all the new US donated items.

You got say 20 points a month. Items were allotted points you could 'spend' in that period. Obviously they had a financial price too.

She said the SPAM then was completely different to the SPAM now. She recalled it was spiced and had a better consistency.

I shamelessly love the stuff. I bake it sliced.

Some of us here of the generation that heard of this from our parents, still are deeply grateful and touched by the generosity of the USA and the young men and women that came here and also showed great kindness in a difficult time.

That's all I got on SPAM.

Last edited:
My dear departed Mum was a library of information about life in the 1930's and the war years. She had a photographic memory and enjoyed talking about the past.

She said she first had SPAM while working in the Bristows soap factory in summer 1941. She was 16 and doing a 50 hour week. She was in the warehouse moving carts of wooden cases to the lorries. Taller than her. Soap making was considered vital war work. Her foreman called her group the horses. Not in a good way. It was a time for tough people.

It was served in bread rolls in the breaks. This would have been about the time FDR announced huge tinned food exports to the UK as part of Lend Lease. I checked, and SPAM was part of the new points system we had here, along with powdered egg, tinned fruits and cheese, and milk, and other luxuries.

You got say 20 points a month. Items were allotted points you could 'spend' in that period. Obviously they had a financial price too.

She said the SPAM then was completely different to the SPAM now. She recalled it was spiced and had a better consistency.

I shamelessly love the stuff. I bake it sliced.

I 😍 the story, but HAD to give it a "SPAM" reaction.

God bless our moms.

Some people make big deal about Wet Shaving in 2023.

So many choices today of Razor’s, Soap’s, Blades, Brushes, etc. To make simple shaving an experience.🥳

When I started Wet Shaving in 1960’s choices of Razor’s , Brush’s, Soap’s, and Blades were limited by what local drug store, or market sold. Coffe Cup or Coffee Mug was lather Cup/Mug to hold soap puck.🥳

Gillette owned large percent of market.

Funny thing is today many B & B Members are using Gillette Razors made before I started shaving in 60’s.

Old Gillette’s still work.

I am awarding trolling and SPAM because I like the nice little pictures.

proxy.php
You're killin' me, @Alum Ladd! I'll give you a 🤮 in return. 🤪
I actually looked like very much like Al back in the 80's.

Women would come up to me in bars and say

"You look like Al Pacino!"

And I would say

"Will you sleep with me then?"

And they would say

"No"

Last edited:
Think sometimes people forget blade is big part of getting great shave.

Want to get razor to work better, not so aggressive, think about trying new blades to find perfect combo.

Even what I call the price razor use same blades as price point razors.

Maybe we should think of Razor as Blade holders, because it is what Razor does.🥳

I consider myself a pretty composed fella.
I was brought up on Seneca and Marcus Aurelius.
I kept my cool working as an ER physician for two years.
Stoicism is my middle name.

But when my synthetic FLINGS LATHER across my clean mirror I could put my own head through the wall 😡
Oof my blood pressure is rising just thinking about it.
Maybe I’m not such a cool hand after all!

Top Bottom