What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

How many did you exactly bought?
Those are not cheap either compare to some other good blades.
Just the standard 100 sleeve. They have since gone up in price, but I got them for £11, which I don't find too crazy.
One of the worst blades I have used.
I feel like I could make them work in a more aggressive razor, but I'm not ready to go down that rabbit hole just yet. I also don't particularly enjoy that they only become acceptably sharp on the second use - shaving with a fresh Voskhod is like shaving with a bowling pin 🎳

100 Treet Falcon
PXL_20240522_170902212.png

Why?
1) @Eric_75 had a PIF for them (which I didn't win) but a number of people indicated that these were fine blades.
2) @slimshavy did a Treet carbon blade shave-off and found the Falcon blades to be top-tier alongside Dura Sharp (which I like).
3) The tuck art is cool.
4) $7/100 on Amazon - no brainer to give them a shot.

Voskhod, a blind purchase. Because I liked the idea of Russian blades hanging on my wall and because it had the reputation of being a mild/"forgiving" blade, which is what I thought I needed. It turns out that mild blades don't work for me, so I avoid them now.

I found them terribly tuggy.

One of the worst blades I have used.

I feel like I could make them work in a more aggressive razor, but I'm not ready to go down that rabbit hole just yet. I also don't particularly enjoy that they only become acceptably sharp on the second use - shaving with a fresh Voskhod is like shaving with a bowling pin 🎳

Voskhod was my first hundred-purchase, ten years ago or so. I agree that they are mild and forgiving, and I also agree that that's not necessarily a good thing. Mild and forgiving are good properties for avoiding nicks, but not for getting a really close shave. As such, I use Voskhod primarily for shaving . . . ummmmm . . . "other" areas. And they're perfect for that.

I also agree that they work better in a more aggressive razor. For example, if I pop one into my dad's old '63 Slim and dial it up to '8', then it really shines. However, I don't personally care for how that Slim shaves in general, so I rarely do so.

As for taking a shave or two to break in: I've long been in the habit of palm-stropping every blade I take out of its wrapper, and then palm-stropping after every shave. Since I've been doing that, I haven't had any tugging issues with any blade, including Voskhod, including on the first shave. (Well, OK, maybe ASCO red.)

If anything, my main problem with Voskhod is that it has a fairly precipitous drop-off after shave four or five, whereas my other regulars can go much longer and have a more gradual fade-out in shave quality.

Voskhod was my first hundred-purchase, ten years ago or so. I agree that they are mild and forgiving, and I also agree that that's not necessarily a good thing. Mild and forgiving are good properties for avoiding nicks, but not for getting a really close shave. As such, I use Voskhod primarily for shaving . . . ummmmm . . . "other" areas. And they're perfect for that.

I also agree that they work better in a more aggressive razor. For example, if I pop one into my dad's old '63 Slim and dial it up to '8', then it really shines. However, I don't personally care for how that Slim shaves in general, so I rarely do so.

As for taking a shave or two to break in: I've long been in the habit of palm-stropping every blade I take out of its wrapper, and then palm-stropping after every shave. Since I've been doing that, I haven't had any tugging issues with any blade, including Voskhod, including on the first shave. (Well, OK, maybe ASCO red.)

If anything, my main problem with Voskhod is that it has a fairly precipitous drop-off after shave four or five, whereas my other regulars can go much longer and have a more gradual fade-out in shave quality.
Isn't the story that the Russian tend to cork a Voskhod? They used to be cheap, but all the Russian blades are hard to get these days.

Are these the yellow ones? 😱

AMZ sells them at 29.94 / 100’s. 🤔
The ones from your link look different.
The blades I received are 10 pieces in a package, a total of 200 in a box. The yellow ones you show are 5 in a package, respectively 100 in a box.
I don't know if they are the same blades, but the packaging looks different.

I bought the Gillette Minora, not because they are cheap, but because they are very good. If I have to compare them to the familiar Nacet, Minora are better.
They are smooth, sharp and very durable.

Top Bottom