What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Long post today.
TLDR: Used the same beans as yesterday and found new life for my V60-01 brewer. I did a comparison brew with the Hario Switch and and preferred the V60-01 in today's brew. Also, I upgraded my grinder and look forward to using it soon.

Today's brew was Longneck Coffee Roasters (Williamsburg, VA) Mexico La Laja Honey Process (medium roast) using my opaque plastic Hario V60-01 with regular Cafec filters and James Hoffmann's "A Better 1 Cup V60 Technique" recipe.

I have never had consistent brews with V60s (01 or 02 size) so I was preparing to PIF my opaque plastic Hario V60-01 and V60-02 brewers. I figure that I had V60 covered with my Hario Switch (leaving the switch in the open position). I decided to brew the the V60-01 again and see how it would work with my Oxo electric goose neck kettle now that I feel I have the pouring under control for the most part with that kettle. It was an excellent cup! The chocolate flavor was very pronounced and it was a very good cup. I could probably dial it in a little better, but out of the gate, it was one of the best V60 brews I have ever had.

That then made me consider repeating the brew with the same settings with the Hario Switch as a V60 (taking time to heat the glass by closing the switch to start, then opening the switch before I started brewing). From the Tale's Coffee video below, Vincent stated that the 02 size Hario Switch is more like a 1.5 instead of size 02, so I was curious if I would get the same results (knowing that that V60 brews in general can be inconsistent if you are not using them on a regular basis).

The Hario Switch brew was pretty good, but I preferred the V60-01 brew. Eye balling the brewers, the Hario Switch is probably 1/3 taller than my opaque plastic V60-01 which combined with the height of my kitchen counter meant a different pouring angle which resulted in a faster pouring speed from my kettle.

Combined with not needing to preheat the opaque plastic V60s and that the V60s I have handle different capacities (01, 02 vs. 1.5 of the Switch), I plan on keeping my V60s for now. Being able to keep the kettle spout closer to the brew bed for smaller doses is another plus of keeping the V60-01 in particular. I thought of picking up a glass V60-01 and swapping out the cone in the Switch but I don't see the need to do that at the moment as my hybrid recipes call for the standard size Switch cone.

On a totally different note, I upgraded my 1zpresso JX manual grinder with a 1zpresso K-Ultra grinder. The K-Ultra came this afternoon, so I have not tried anything with it yet other than to check the zero on the grinder. I am debating whether I will season the grinder first or just start using it. I have read that people season their grinders with rice or cheap/old coffee. I am not sure which way I will go with that. I am temped just to use it as is knowing that the grind will change subtly after a few bags of beans have been ground with the grinder. I probably will just make a note in my coffee logs of how many bags have be been ground with the grinder and note my brews as 'pre-season' settings until I see differences in the brew.

IMG_4185.jpeg

Today's beans were Longneck Coffee Roasters (Williamsburg, VA) Mexico La Laja Honey Process (medium roast).
Today was the first day with my new grinder, so I went with a recipe where I had specific grind settings for the recipe for my specific grinder.

I used the Hario Switch with the Coffee Chronicler recipe (hybrid recipe):

On reflection, I bet the grind settings I followed were for a seasoned grinder, so I should have ground a little coarser as my grinder is not seasoned yet. Today's brew was a little bitter and had a hint of a metallic flavor (as expected for a non-seasoned grinder). I think I may go get a bag of cheap, unflavored, whole bean coffee to partially season the grinder. From the link below, it was recommended to run one bag through a new grinder at the bare minimum.

Nice to see you in this thread, sir.

This morning I’m having Starbucks Pike Place brewed with the French press. Not my favorite, but a big improvement from the hotel coffee I drank over the weekend.View attachment 1837727
Thank you Trevor! I've always enjoyed Pike Press.
I used a French Press for years. The gasket broke a couple of weeks ago so I went back to using the Moka Pot. Lavazza is our favorite and will be experimenting with different blends.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Same, same for me... Don Pablo's Signature Blend in a SS Mueller French press into my Grandpa Yeti. I did have 2 Yetis full yesterday as I got a bit tired near the end of my work day.. So I stopped by the house and brewed up another one around 5PM.... Lovely

It's another nice day here in God's waiting room, i.e., Gainesville, Florida. 83F for a high today and "low" humidity, 35% at the moment.... But it is warming up and the humidity will start increasing until ....... well..... until October or so. <eg>

Today's beans were Longneck Coffee Roasters (Williamsburg, VA) Mexico La Laja Honey Process (medium roast).
Today was the second day with my new grinder, so I continued with a recipe where I had specific grind settings for the recipe for my specific grinder.

I used the Hario Switch with the Coffee Chronicler recipe (hybrid recipe):

I tried a second setting that someone recommended for pour over and it worked better than yesterday's settings which were a little bitter for the beans I was using. I did notice after I added all the water that an air pocket developed between the cone and the filter towards the top of the cone. That probably introduced some side channeling but it still was a pretty tasty cup as the chocolate notes came through. I did have the metallic taste at one point in the cooling process but it went away.

I picked up a bag of Eight O' Clock original blend whole bean coffee from the grocery store last night to season the grinder (at least the point of losing the metallic taste) but I ran out of time to start the project. I was looking for less expensive, non-flavored, whole beans and these were even medium roast which checked all the boxes (since I didn't want really oily dark roast beans oiling up my new grinder). I don't like wasting coffee, so I am going to plan out several brews to use with those beans and set aside enough coffee to try out these beans and hopefully get a few more grind settings established for some of my other brewers. I will brew with those beans once I have ground up the rest of the bag so that the metallic taste will be gone.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Top Bottom