What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

It’s back to the normal for me so I’m gonna celebrate life’s small victories! Went to sleep early in the day so I’m up for a bit so I drank a cup of some Mt.Comfort Peruvian blend using the single serving keurig. Tasty and i’d like to say that I’ve thought of you all in my absence. Cheers!

IMG_3322.jpg

Long black today, no snack because because I had a bacon roll for breakfast right afterwards

Today's brew was Longneck Coffee Roasters (Williamsburg, VA) Mexico La Laja Honey Process (medium roast) using my plastic April 2.0 brewer with a Kalita 155 filter and the James Perry Coffee - Standard 3 Pour recipe.

Today I went for a lower water to coffee ratio (1:14 instead of 1:15 that I used yesterday) and enjoyed the stronger flavor. I often forget that changing the water to coffee ratio as a brewing tool in my toolbox. I usually change grind size and/or water temperature. The Oxo gooseneck kettle an even wider pour speed range than my Brewista Atrisan kettle (which is now moved to back up position) so that is another tool in my toolbox to explore.

I had planned to up my coffee dose by 1g for the same water amount but thought I would dig through my general coffee notes to see if there was more information on ratios. I found this site in my notes where you plug in your brew method and number of cups you want to get suggested ratios to try depending on the coffee strength you desire. It also had interesting information about the Golden Cup Ratio (which was created in the 1950s) and its limitations.

I used the ratio calculator on that website and selected 1 cup pour over and here was the calculated result from that website:

Water: 200 ml
Coffee: 13.33 g
You're brewing at a 1:15 ratio

⬆️ For a stronger result adjust to 1:14 (14.29 g or 0.50 oz)
⬇️ For a milder result adjust to 1:16 (12.50 g or 0.44 oz)

💡 Pro tip: If you're using less coffee, it's a good idea to grind finer. This will increase the extraction yield.

Today's brew was Longneck Coffee Roasters (Williamsburg, VA) Mexico La Laja Honey Process (medium roast) using my plastic April 2.0 brewer with a Kalita 155 filter and the James Perry Coffee - Standard 3 Pour recipe.

Today I went for a lower water to coffee ratio (1:14 instead of 1:15 that I used yesterday) and enjoyed the stronger flavor. I often forget that changing the water to coffee ratio as a brewing tool in my toolbox. I usually change grind size and/or water temperature. The Oxo gooseneck kettle an even wider pour speed range than my Brewista Atrisan kettle (which is now moved to back up position) so that is another tool in my toolbox to explore.

I had planned to up my coffee dose by 1g for the same water amount but thought I would dig through my general coffee notes to see if there was more information on ratios. I found this site in my notes where you plug in your brew method and number of cups you want to get suggested ratios to try depending on the coffee strength you desire. It also had interesting information about the Golden Cup Ratio (which was created in the 1950s) and its limitations.

I used the ratio calculator on that website and selected 1 cup pour over and here was the calculated result from that website:

Water: 200 ml
Coffee: 13.33 g
You're brewing at a 1:15 ratio

⬆️ For a stronger result adjust to 1:14 (14.29 g or 0.50 oz)
⬇️ For a milder result adjust to 1:16 (12.50 g or 0.44 oz)

💡 Pro tip: If you're using less coffee, it's a good idea to grind finer. This will increase the extraction yield.
That's a great link for calculation of ratios! Thanks!

My daily brew is espresso, with a lever machine that sets the volume of water for me. The amount of coffee is also determined by the basket size, currently using 19gms in a 20gm basket. But when I'm travelling or at the office I'm kind of lost as to ratios with my pourovers, either a kalita wave or V65 Hario. I've also had a Behmor drip machine for over a year but use it so seldom that I haven't got the ratios figured out yet for an eight cup pot.
Today's first pull.
Imagepipe_0.jpg

That's a great link for calculation of ratios! Thanks!

My daily brew is espresso, with a lever machine that sets the volume of water for me. The amount of coffee is also determined by the basket size, currently using 19gms in a 20gm basket. But when I'm travelling or at the office I'm kind of lost as to ratios with my pourovers, either a kalita wave or V65 Hario. I've also had a Behmor drip machine for over a year but use it so seldom that I haven't got the ratios figured out yet for an eight cup pot.
Today's first pull. View attachment 1836636
You are very welcome!

Dug this out for an afternoon coffee, I almost prefer this over the La Marzocco. I like everything about the steam wand better, that much I know. It's for sale, no serious takers yet. They don't know what they are missing! Now for the bad. . . .saw a drip under the rear corner, so I took off the cover and found the o-ring under the pump end cover leaking. It's still soft, but new pump is on the way. It's only $200, so just putting a whole new pump on vs rebuilding it is a no brainer.

The runs on the boiler are from descaling it on its side, with the heater out. I cleaned it up a little before putting it back together while I wait for the pump.

IMG_4993.jpeg

IMG_4998.jpeg

IMG_4997.jpg

Dug this out for an afternoon coffee, I almost prefer this over the La Marzocco. I like everything about the steam wand better, that much I know. It's for sale, no serious takers yet. They don't know what they are missing! Now for the bad. . . .saw a drip under the rear corner, so I took off the cover and found the o-ring under the pump end cover leaking. It's still soft, but new pump is on the way. It's only $200, so just putting a whole new pump on vs rebuilding it is a no brainer.

The runs on the boiler are from descaling it on its side, with the heater out. I cleaned it up a little before putting it back together while I wait for the pump.

View attachment 1836905

View attachment 1836906

View attachment 1836907
Super call vintage machine!
I enjoyed a second pull today, milked.
Imagepipe_0.jpg

Good morning gents- this morning it is some mixture of beans from my beans container (i consolidated a bunch of beans together for space purposes) and ground them up, and then proceeded with the brewing process using the Moccamaster. A tasty cup of joe to start this blessed Sunday! Have a good’un fellers ✌️

It’s back to the normal for me so I’m gonna celebrate life’s small victories! Went to sleep early in the day so I’m up for a bit so I drank a cup of some Mt.Comfort Peruvian blend using the single serving keurig. Tasty and i’d like to say that I’ve thought of you all in my absence. Cheers!

Good morning gents- this morning it is some mixture of beans from my beans container (i consolidated a bunch of beans together for space purposes) and ground them up, and then proceeded with the brewing process using the Moccamaster. A tasty cup of joe to start this blessed Sunday! Have a good’un fellers ✌️
It’s great to see you back!

I‘m on the road for a golf tournament this weekend so it’s been hotel coffee for me.
IMG_8646.jpeg

linty1

My wallet cries.
Morning folks, feels like its been a while but a poor from the flair... I keep thinking "oh I'll remember what beans they are, so no need to cut out the bag" but... nope. Moment of laziness = unknown beans.

2C479453-5FCE-4D5C-BCE4-DF75B8343A18.jpeg

drinks for two lol, water and an americano. Hope everyones doing well, thats a lovely yeti rambler btw.

Same as yesterday at home so I filled my medium sized Bodum French Press with Cafe Du Monde Coffee with Chicory and made a Cafe Au Lait. Two teaspoons of brown sugar like I do. Eventually I will get some fresh beans for cold brew, but, super market coffee in the frech press is alright sometimes.

Top Bottom