What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Good morning fellas

It was more Happy Mug this morning. Up early doing prep work for a cookout tomorrow. Was supposed to be Sunday but it got moved up a day because of weather. Severe storms forecasted for Sunday.

IMG_2789.jpegIMG_2764.jpeg

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Good morning, coffee crew.

My stomach is feeling pretty sensitive this morning, so no coffee for me as of yet. It's ginger tea at the moment. My sleep was spotty at best. It seems like I woke up once or twice every hour.

We all had a great time at my GF's daughter's graduation last night. The weather was quite nice and it didn't rain. Both her daughter (18) and her son (21) are very kind and generous young adults. Just a few errands to run today but that's about it.

Have a blessed Friday, crew.

Howdy gentlemen- went to the VA because of a mole on my eyebrow that has grown and was noticed by my social worker. The diagnosis as of now is malignant melanoma so oh well.

On one hand, any cancer diagnosis sucks. Big time. On the other hand, the standard treatment for a malignant melanoma, Mohs Micrographic Surgery, is well known, and very effective.*

Where is the treatment going to be done? The Major presumes it will be @ a VA clinic. The Major's father had his treatment at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Given that the Major used to work at their Abramson Cancer Center, he was kind of biased in favor of this idea.

-MO

* executive summary: small layers of the effected ares are removed and examined under a microscope until no sign remains of cancerous cells.

The major started his morning with, first, a cup featuring about half Crío Bru ground cacao & half Costa Rica Peaberry. From there, he finished his small container of mixed grinds. Both were enjoyed in the sunroom a glorious spring morning. This is, by far, the most beautiful weather you get in the Mid-Atlantic region.

20240524_092615.jpg

As a quick aside, while the weather in the Mid-Atlantic might never get as truly glorious as it does in, say, parts of California, neither does it ever b get especially life-threatening. It gets cold, but never insanely cold for insanely long periods of time. It might get hot, but again, never insanely hot for an insanely long time. Hurricanes, where they hit, amount to lots of rain, with perhaps some strong straight line winds. Tornadoes, on the rear occasion that they do strike, are never as violent as they are in parts of the midwest. Earthquakes are exceedingly rare, and generally weak.

Moving on.

Next, it's time to go shopping for Shabbat dinner.

See yuz!
-MO

On one hand, any cancer diagnosis sucks. Big time. On the other hand, the standard treatment for a malignant melanoma, Mohs Micrographic Surgery, is well known, and very effective.*

Where is the treatment going to be done? The Major presumes it will be @ a VA clinic. The Major's father had his treatment at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Given that the Major used to work at their Abramson Cancer Center, he was kind of biased in favor of this idea.

-MO

* executive summary: small layers of the effected ares are removed and examined under a microscope until no sign remains of cancerous cells.

I had a spot on my wrist that would not go away. It would bleed and semi heal but, never went away. I went to the dermatologist and during the removal, the doctor said he would be surprised if it was something as it was in such an unusual place. The biopsy came back and it was squamous cell cancer. I had Mohs surgery and it was a straightforward procedure. As the major mentioned it’s a very effective treatment. The doctor mentioned if you have something that you constantly pick at and it doesn’t go away, get it checked.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Skipped Old Hippie's Hack-A-Vac this morning. Having that extra boost on top of Mrs. Hippie's finest just didn't appeal. [shrug] I'll be on the road for a few days at the end of next week. Lined up a suite with kitchenette on the other end of the trail, and plan to take the Hack-A-Vac as my morning friend. That and some granola and fresh fruit while listening to the NPR affiliate where I worked for 13 years back in the last century sounds like perfection to me.

Wishin' y'all joy in whatever gets yer motor runnin'...

O.H.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Good morning, coffee crew.

Mad Priest Dark Night of the Soul. French Press. Black.

Yesterday wound up being a coffee-less day for me, but my stomach is much better this morning and I'm back in the saddle.

It's 68° in Music City right now with a high around 84°. We had some thunder and heavy rain that woke me up this morning. More scattered storms possible this afternoon. The GF's daughter's graduation party will be held at her grandmother's house later. Mostly an indoor affair, so the rain won't really affect anything. I'll be helping out with clean up duties afterwards. That's all for today, friends.

Have a blessed day, crew.

Today's brew was with Stirling Roastery (Booneville, AR) - Peru beans using the ceramic Kalita 185 and the Project Barista 155 Recipe (scaled to the 185). Since I had a lot of extra coffee on hand and had not determined the starting grind setting for the 185 yet, I decided to try the 185 today. I did three brews to get in the ball park. I think I am close to the right setting. I will go one click finer to see if that is the correct setting.

I choose to scale up their 155 recipe for medium roasts since I find their 185 recipe provides too much extraction for medium roasts (but works well for light roasts). That said, for a given size Kalita wave, the flow rate is different between steel, glass, ceramic, etc. (see chart mid way down on this page for flow rate details by size and material). So keep that in mind when you are translating recipes to your particular brewer.

Here is the scaled recipe I used today if you want to play along:

Kalita Wave 185: Project Barista 155 Recipe (scaled)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
K-Ultra 7.8 @ 92C (197.6F) 18g 270ml (1:15): Stirling Roastery (Booneville, AR) - Peru. Inserted Flair Pro dispersion screen (for insurance against stalling). I warmed the brewer then added the filter and wet the filter. I added the coffee and flattened the bed with my WDT tool. I poured 54ml (3x dose) of water for a 40 second bloom. I used a zig-zag pattern followed by a circle on the outer edge to wet all the grinds. After the bloom, I started pouring circles - 5 circles inside, 5 circles towards the outside (repeat). I hit 270ml total at 1:30. The draw down 2:04 for dry bed.

Last edited:
Major Dickason’s in the Clever this morning for me.
IMG_9236.jpeg

We had some thunder and heavy rain that woke me up this morning.
That system passed thru here an hour or so ago. If I’d been asleep it would’ve awakened me too. Pretty intense lightning/thunder.
That said, for a given size Kalita wave, the flow rate is different between steel, glass, ceramic, etc. (see chart mid way down on this page for flow rate details by size and material). So keep that in mind when you are translating recipes to your particular brewer.
Interesting. I’ll save this for sure as I use the stainless 185.

Top Bottom