What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

It’s a rainy spring day in East TN. I have plenty of lawn work that needs doing, but that’ll just have to wait. That’s ok since I probably would’ve put it off to watch the Masters golf tournament anyway, assuming they don’t also get rained out.

I picked this mug up while attending the tournament a few years ago with my wife and son. I only use this one 4 days each year on tournament days. Won the ticket lottery to the Wednesday practice round. Truly an experience none of us will forget. As amazing as the course is my favorite memories will always be watching my son take it all in as an 11 year old, completely awestruck.View attachment 1827417
What a great memory to have with your son. We used to take our sons to the Memorial Tournament every year and they still talk about how much fun it was. Practice rounds are great as the golfers interact with fans, the majority of the pros are really friendly and accommodating.

They prepare their coffee with complete disregard for 'The Standards'. Shots are fast, slow, way too long, just to fill a cup. . . . not great. I will say, that having been tasked to clean my brother's espresso machine that he never cleans, the oils that were festering in a gelatinous blob in the portafilter should make a person ill! Keep in mind, I was going to little café/ bars, we never visited the few dedicated coffee shops, that likely would have cared more. I'm sure the Italians are generally more passionate about what it is they are preparing, now as far as the pastries go. . . OMG! The French kill it, regardless of where you go, you just won't be dissapointed. My haircut however, 10/10.

I'm pretty far down the espresso rabbit hole. I could never get into it here in the states. But in Europe couldn't get enough. Then I figured out a couple things. 1) American shops often use lighter roasted single origins and blends vs bar blends that are used in Italy. And 2) they pull shots with much more coffee than shops in Italy/EU. They're pulling shots for Americans who prefer large milk based drinks. Vs in Italy where most locals are drinking espresso or macchiatos that just have a spot of milk.

In the US most shops are pulling double shots with 18-20g of coffee in a 1:1 ratio with water for drink they'll mix with milk. So say 18-20g coffee in the basket and 36-40g in the cup when finished. In Italy a double shot is 14g in 28-30g out.

Coffee prices are regulated in Italy because it's designated a necessity by the govt. There's an official recipe to keep things consistent in bars. If you have even a basic machine, a bar blend of coffee like Lavazza Super Crema, and this recipe you can pull shots that are as good/exactly like what you get all over Italy.

Just follow this recipe.

Rudy, the Don Pablo’s Colombian Supremo (Sp?) shows up today, along with my regular Signature blend. I’ll brew some up tomorrow and let you know how I like it.
Great! I look forward to reading your thoughts.
What a great memory to have with your son. We used to take our sons to the Memorial Tournament every year and they still talk about how much fun it was. Practice rounds are great as the golfers interact with fans, the majority of the pros are really friendly and accommodating.
So true. Golf can obviously being boring to watch, especially for kids. But seeing the pros hit balls on the range in person and to get an up close look at their practice routines, etc had a real impact on my son. We followed Rory, Dustin Johnson and Jon Rahm for a few holes, but time was limited so we mainly focused on seeing as much of the course as possible. Of course we also watched some of the Par 3 contest as it was a Wednesday.

My favorite memory of the day occurred late in the evening as we were about to leave. Me, my wife and our son were alone on hole 16. My son sat in a chair for 15+ minutes just taking in the hole, processing all he had seen and watched the grounds crew get the hole ready for round 1. I will never forget that scene or the look on his face.

50-50 blend of organic Pee
IMG_0007 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0010 - Copy.JPG
t's Guatemalan and Peet's Big Bang blend ...

I'm pretty far down the espresso rabbit hole. I could never get into it here in the states. But in Europe couldn't get enough. Then I figured out a couple things. 1) American shops often use lighter roasted single origins and blends vs bar blends that are used in Italy. And 2) they pull shots with much more coffee than shops in Italy/EU. They're pulling shots for Americans who prefer large milk based drinks. Vs in Italy where most locals are drinking espresso or macchiatos that just have a spot of milk.

In the US most shops are pulling double shots with 18-20g of coffee in a 1:1 ratio with water for drink they'll mix with milk. So say 18-20g coffee in the basket and 36-40g in the cup when finished. In Italy a double shot is 14g in 28-30g out.

Coffee prices are regulated in Italy because it's designated a necessity by the govt. There's an official recipe to keep things consistent in bars. If you have even a basic machine, a bar blend of coffee like Lavazza Super Crema, and this recipe you can pull shots that are as good/exactly like what you get all over Italy.

Just follow this recipe.

The standard is 1:2 based on weight. No american shops are pulling an 18-20 gram shot and stopping the shot at 18-20 grams out. Not happening anywhere Ive been.

The standard is 1:2 based on weight. No american shops are pulling an 18-20 gram shot and stopping the shot at 18-20 grams out. Not happening anywhere Ive been.

Right. Typo. I typed 1:1 but had the correct numbers. 18-20 in the basket and 36-40 out.

The main point is in America an espresso is pulled usually in doubles to add to a milk drink/dessert in a cup. And in Italy an espresso is pulled mostly as a single to drink as is. Maybe with some sugar and/or a spot of foam/warm milk. Maybe as a single shot cappuccino, only with breakfast.

Right. Typo. I typed 1:1 but had the correct numbers. 18-20 in the basket and 36-40 out.

The main point is in America an espresso is pulled usually in doubles to add to a milk drink/dessert in a cup. And in Italy an espresso is pulled mostly as a single to drink as is. Maybe with some sugar and/or a spot of foam/warm milk. Maybe as a single shot cappuccino, only with breakfast.
Gotcha.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Good morning, coffee crew.

Peet's Big Bang. Black.

Another cloudy, rainy morning here. It's 46° right now with a high around 50°. About 7 hours of sleep last night. I have a few things to send out to one of my music supervisors today but that's about it. Lunch and a cold beer at the Butter Run Saloon later.

Have a blessed Friday, friends.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
This morning, I had a double Americano made with Don Pablo Signature coffee. The weather here in East Tennessee is currently sunny and cool, quite a pleasant spring day!View attachment 1828148
I had my first Yeti full of Don Pablo’s Colombian Supremo this morning. I might even prefer it to their Signature blend.

Thanks so much for the recommendation, Rudy.

I’ll let you know if I change my subscription. <Eg>

I had my first Yeti full of Don Pablo’s Colombian Supremo this morning. I might even prefer it to their Signature blend.

Thanks so much for the recommendation, Rudy.

I’ll let you know if I change my subscription. <Eg>
Excellent. I'm glad you like it! I find it similar to the signature, but just a little more depth. I will probably order more of it even though I can pick up the signature locally at Costco. I'm just waiting on a sale or discount code from Don Pablo to pull the trigger.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Excellent. I'm glad you like it! I find it similar to the signature, but just a little more depth. I will probably order more of it even though I can pick up the signature locally at Costco. I'm just waiting on a sale or discount code from Don Pablo to pull the trigger.
The 20% discount for subscriptions helps..... We just don't have a source at a brick and mortar store anywhere near us, otherwise I would wait for local sales....

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Good morning, coffee crew.

Peet's Big Bang. Black.

Up early again this morning. Maybe 5 hours of sleep. The anticipation of my move back home has me wound up, but I mean that in a good way. I'm really looking forward to it. It's 44° in SCS right now with a high around 60°. Chance of showers this evening. A few errands to run today but that's about it.

Have a blessed Saturday, friends.

Top Bottom