What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Saturday pull, post sunrise.
I've been experimenting with different size and designs of porta filter baskets this week along with a puck screen. VST, IMS and IMS Lab. It's been very interesting.
Imagepipe_0.jpg

New KING K6 grinder today . Here's my initial observations . A quality product , excellent construction with nice rubber waist to grip . I ran 2 tablespoons of beans through the grinder to flush out any factory "dust" , etc . Set to coarse grind the K6 was effortless and blazing fast , I was really overjoyed after using a traditional brass Turkish grinder for decades . Greek coffee this morning, so I set the K6 to setting to " 15 " for extra fine powder . It did grind a very very fine powdered coffee . However , much to my surprise ( and horror ) it took forever to grind a small amount enough for one demi-tasse size cup, perhaps 25 minutes compared to 5 minutes for the Turkish grinder .... Monday I will open the burrs to setting 20 and 25 to see if it grinds quicker but still achieves a true " powder " ... Of
DSC_2585.JPG
course if it cannot meet the mark the K6 is set up for the high torque RPMs of an electric drill ...We shall see...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
New KING K6 grinder today . Here's my initial observations . A quality product , excellent construction with nice rubber waist to grip . I ran 2 tablespoons of beans through the grinder to flush out any factory "dust" , etc . Set to coarse grind the K6 was effortless and blazing fast , I was really overjoyed after using a traditional brass Turkish grinder for decades . Greek coffee this morning, so I set the K6 to setting to " 15 " for extra fine powder . It did grind a very very fine powdered coffee . However , much to my surprise ( and horror ) it took forever to grind a small amount enough for one demi-tasse size cup, perhaps 25 minutes compared to 5 minutes for the Turkish grinder .... Monday I will open the burrs to setting 20 and 25 to see if it grinds quicker but still achieves a true " powder " ... OfView attachment 1820930 course if it cannot meet the mark the K6 is set up for the high torque RPMs of an electric drill ...We shall see...
Yeah... I use my K6 for French press grounds... very coarse. It's a cinch but Greek powdered grounds are tough, as you know.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Good morning, coffee crew.

Peet's Big Bang. Black.

It's 38° in SCS right now with a high around 46°. An overcast day expected with a chance of showers later this evening. I slept about 7 hours last night and I'm feeling pretty rested. I'm going over to a friend's house for an Easter meal this afternoon. Looking forward to a few mimosas as well.

For all those who celebrate, I wish you a happy Easter from my heart to yours.

God bless you all.

Last edited:
First things first, although not necessarily in that order: a happy Easter to all who celebrate it.

The Major's father-in-law is doing fairly well. The Major + his CO agree that he's looking better physically and sounding like himself, the latter for the first time in months. The Major isn't a betting man, but if he was forced to do so, he'd place his $1 maximum bet* on his father-in-law coming home this coming Wednesday. Unless the insurance company says otherwise, in which case he may be discharged several days ago, perhaps before he arrived.**

As for himself, the Major started the morning w/a double shot of of Blk & Old's Brighter Day light roast, ground espresso-style + made in the Aeropress, topped off w/foamed milk. A fine way to start the day.

-MO

* Taking after Glenn Kirschner

** The Major knows that this is impossible. But, if anyone can use time travel, the insurance industry will do so to save money.

Eric_75

First things first, although not necessarily in that order: a happy Easter to all who celebrate it.

The Major's father-in-law is doing fairly well. The Major + his CO agree that he's looking better physically and sounding like himself, the latter for the first time in months. The Major isn't a betting man, but if he was forced to do so, he'd place his $1 maximum bet* on his father-in-law coming home this coming Wednesday. Unless the insurance company says otherwise, in which case he may be discharged several days ago, perhaps before he arrived.**

As for himself, the Major started the morning w/a double shot of of Blk & Old's Brighter Day light roast, ground espresso-style + made in the Aeropress, topped off w/foamed milk. A fine way to start the day.

-MO

* Taking after Glenn Kirschner

** The Major knows that this is impossible. But, if anyone can use time travel, the insurance industry will do so to save money.
I will continue to pray for your father-in-law, Major.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Happy Easter to those who celebrate.

I’m working today, delivering food as usual. Things sure have changed since we moved here in 2004. At that time, the whole town was shut down for Easter other than a couple Asian restaurants.

Today, most restaurants are open. Most grocery stores are closed but a couple are open, unlike 20 years ago.

Beautiful weather today: highs in the low 80s with low humidity.

Great Yeti full of Don Pablo’s signature blend out of the French press this morning.

Yeah... I use my K6 for French press grounds... very coarse. It's a cinch but Greek powdered grounds are tough, as you know.
Opened the burrs from 15 to 20 , big difference . The grind went much faster , the texture of the powder was very close to the 15 grind , certainly nice enough for Greek , Turkish and Arabic style brewing . I'm used to cleaning my Turkish brass grinder every 2 weeks with a wide open burr setting and Minute rice , works great, cheap and non toxic . Wonder if I can use this method on the King K6 ??

Eric_75

Good morning, coffee crew.

No April Fool's pranks, please. I've already fallen for one this morning. :)

Peet's Big Bang. Black. One Monk Fruit in the Raw packet.

It's 37° in SCS at the moment with a high around 51°. A cloudy day with a slight chance of rain. I got about 7 hours of sleep last night. Just a few emails to send out and some laundry to do today.

Have a blessed Monday, friends.

Last edited:
GM
Haitian Blue,
Roasted to Dark, first time roasting dark, previous roasted to med but dark is on another level

Organic Haitian Blue comes from the same Arabica varietal as Jamaica Blue Mountain, at a fraction of the cost. These rare organic coffee beans boast spicy notes like cinnamon and sweet tobacco, with a rich plum finish,
Have an awesome day all
IMG_2372.jpeg

Today's beans were Bridge City Coffee (Greenville, SC) - El Salvador (natural process).
I went with the April 2.0 plastic brewer and the standard 2-pour April recipe.

I am amazed on how different the same coffee can taste just by changing the brewer you use.
Same beans, same filter, different brewer, totally different cup of coffee.

Using the Timemore B75 with these beans, I get a strong orange flavor that is pleasant. In the April brewer for these beans, I get burnt flavors without any orange (other than a brief, unpleasant appearance after the coffee was initially brewed). I tried two different grind settings this morning with these beans and the April brewer and neither were very good. Maybe I need to go really coarse or with cooler water. I have not gone with coarser settings for this brewer for even darker roasted beans.

With different beans, I can get great coffee from the April brewer.

Good Morning Krew

Yesterday was a GOOD marathon day beginning with a sunrise Easter celebration with the extended family. I made a couple pots of coffee during the day. I am truly blessed to be part of our family.
One other update. My wife and I are flying to North Carolina tomorrow to spend time with her uncle that has been placed on Hospice. She thinks of him as an older brother and I have good memories and respect for the man.

Today's coffee-
The recommended dose for the Behmor brewer is 9 cups of water and 47g of beans. I used 41g of the Vitacup beans and enjoyed two smooth cups combined with stevia and a small amount of milk. We enjoyed being on the porch and spent time expressing gratitude for our many blessings.

The Major's father-in-law is doing fairly well. The Major + his CO agree that he's looking better physically and sounding like himself, the latter for the first time in months.
Glad to hear your father-in-law is doing better.

IMG_3170.JPG

Dialling in the grind and weight for the new bag of Motta coffee, think I've got things worked out. Went with a macchiato today. These beans are fairly bold, so a ittle bit of milk or sugar helps. Makes a good long black from memory of last time i used it, so might go with that tomorrow.

Top Bottom