What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Made a latte for myself for the first time in a while. In the process I polished off the last of ten pounds of that Columbian washed coffee from Sweet Maria's.

Roasted a batch of a Panama dry process last night. I've roasted a few test batches and it's a bit on the wild side. Medium roast bring a nice Cacao note followed by cranberry, ultimately lightening up to a mixed berry finish.

It's an enjoyable cup that can be a bit intense as espresso, if I miss my mark and roast a bit light it may see some use in the Aeropress.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I opened a new batch of Don Pablo Signature Blend (5 pound bag)and divided it between my two stainless steel AirScape cannisters. The beans are a bit lighter in color this time.. less shine..... This should prove interesting. The batch to batch consistency has been the same for the last year +. We started drinking this coffee since Jan. of 2022. This batch looks more like what we had been buying from The Fresh Market: their Jamaican Blue Mountain Blend.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Good morning, coffee crew.

Cafe Du Monde in the french press.

I'm late here today as I had to take a friend to the airport. It's 32° in Nashville right now with a high around 56° today. Yesterday the three Canada geese hung out all day in the lawn below our balcony. Residents have been feeding them bread and crackers.

Enjoy your brew and God bless you crew.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Morning All!

Kim, I hope they're not stale beans this go-rounds. Let us know. I looked around that website. I'm a sucker for anything labeled Cuban style.

Chock Full O Nuts in the FP. Came out great.

Hope everyone has a great day!
I don't believe they are stale. The smell, alone, is heartwarming..... I do think they were roasted just a bit less, if I had to guess. I woke up a bit late this morning... went to sleep to late and I have an appointment with a Key guy to get a second FOB programed in a few minutes.

Coffee will have to wait a while for when I get back. It shouldn't take him long, I hope. I'm meeting him at a car dealership so if he's on time, all will be well soon. ;)

Just finished an Americano made in the Aeropress using half Backyard Beans' Punch in the Face and half La Colombe Afrique. I had some o' each ground + ready, but not enough of either to make a cup. So, combine two local coffee products - the former from the Philly suburbs, the latter from Philly proper- for one proper start to the day!

-Z

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The oddest thing we experienced in Bali our last trip was finding a good cup of coffee. This trip, we are renting the 3rd floor of a house with a complete kitchen for 6 weeks. I’m debating the benefits of bringing along my hand grinder and scale. They’ll have a French Press there and if not, they have Huge Ace Hardware stores there. That shocked me a bit. They are the size of a Walmart, excluding the groceries.

86A3204C-DE93-4559-9529-002939F40C54.jpeg

Good morning, Almost done with the Makanau Blend from Kau Coffee Mill in the French press. I upgraded my grinder today to this Ningbo. What a difference from the JavaPress grinder I’ve been using daily for at least three years now.

/me shrugs

M'self, I prefer black- straight, no chaser. But, chacun a son gout- each to their taste. Nothing wrong w/that way at all, if that's what you prefer.

-Z

I hear you, friend!

I usually drink my coffee black, but that decaf is old and getting sour to my taste. Half and half smoothes that right out.

Today, it's a Cherrytastic Colombia mixed with a disappointing Peru. I was hoping for a lovely pairing, but that Peru just messes everything up! There are still cherry notes, but the Peru doesn't play well with others. Or itself. I need to figure this one out, because I bought 50lbs...

I hear you, friend!

I usually drink my coffee black, but that decaf is old and getting sour to my taste. Half and half smoothes that right out.

Today, it's a Cherrytastic Colombia mixed with a disappointing Peru. I was hoping for a lovely pairing, but that Peru just messes everything up! There are still cherry notes, but the Peru doesn't play well with others. Or itself. I need to figure this one out, because I bought 50lbs...
Never tried any Peruvian. What are the key notes supposed to be?

I need to figure this one out, because I bought 50lbs...
About that... I probably still shouldn't post this, sorry. I literally had a tab open reading Sweet Maria's newest releases while reading your post a while back that you bought 50lbs of that Peru and thought the description sounded interesting so I typed it in the search. As you probably know, it brings up the current and previous batches of a coffee. Let's just say that the tasting notes from last year weren't matching up with this year's. I am hoping that it's just their cupping and you manage to pull that banana out of your hat roaster!

Never tried any Peruvian. What are the key notes supposed to be?
"...a core of bittersweet chocolate, accented by molasses and torched sugars, and lower acidity..."

I get no sweet, chocolate, or molasses. I do get bitter and torched sugars at all roast levels so far, but I have not tried it dark yet. I would assume taking it darker would only make the burnt sugar more prevalent. Dark is next on the list, but I don't like dark roasts.

Last year's harvest was one of my favorite coffees I've roasted, and I jumped on it when this year's came in. It is not the same at all in the cup.

About that... I probably still shouldn't post this, sorry. I literally had a tab open reading Sweet Maria's newest releases while reading your post a while back that you bought 50lbs of that Peru and thought the description sounded interesting so I typed it in the search. As you probably know, it brings up the current and previous batches of a coffee. Let's just say that the tasting notes from last year weren't matching up with this year's. I am hoping that it's just their cupping and you manage to pull that banana out of your hat roaster!

Yeah, they don't match up at all, but I was a giddy little schoolboy when I saw the name I've been waiting for pop up, and took a risk.

Tasting notes: charred sugars, half-dried firewood in a gentle rain, mild astringency

Top Bottom