What's new

What's your best LOOKING finisher?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Thanks David.

Don't you have a hard Iromono tomae? I think Alex thought it was from the Narutaki mine.
What did you think of that stone? How did you like the edges from it?
Tom, yes I do. Alex thought it was Narutaki...seems like Gamma thought another mine but I can't recall which. It's a great stone, and probably my second favorite jnat behind my Maruka from Gamma. The edges are very nice and smooth, and it's just a joy to hone on with both razors and knives.

David

IMG_8202.JPG
Here's an old pic, Tom.

David

That is a pretty stone. Nice tomo too. Was the tomo cut from from it?
David is it slow or a faster stone?
Sorry Tom. I'm a little scatter brained lately and just saw this. No the tomo came from Alex. It's definitely not a slow stone, but it's not crazy fast either.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I have seen beautiful stones over the last few years. Time to bring them out for the parade. Got this funk and gunk covered hard Arkansas a few weeks ago. I was surprised to see this layered Novaculite come out of the dip. A big hunk at 6x3x1.25

E08CEB84-1920-41F8-8353-3B3641EDAA52.jpeg
158CC479-9013-4ECB-8A85-4717C414D9A4.jpeg
4AC120EE-8D9A-4E25-8DE9-F82474E353E9.jpeg

Very nice stone. I was thinking Turkey oilstone too. Has some of the characteristics. If it is that is a really clean one too.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
That is a handsome stone! Nice score!

Beautiful! Any chance that’s a turkey oilstone?

Very nice stone. I was thinking Turkey oilstone too. Has some of the characteristics. If it is that is a really clean one too.

Thanks you gentlemen, if I am in error, please correct. It was sold as a hard with two other stones that are stamped or labeled. I tested the S.G. and was 2.62. It is non-porous, a few drops oil did not soak in and it is slow, slow, slow. It compares to the transitioning translucent equally except it is only partly translucent from the end. But in the end, I have been known to be wrong before

6C2F9A21-4DA7-4680-B34C-523A558C0A8C.jpeg

I call those turkey stones too. I’m not 100% convinced they are. But they don’t look like anything else. I have one example that matches yours but it’s a very small stone about three by one. It finishes a lot better than any of my other turkeys. And it doesn’t have any cracks or imperfections that turkey stone seem to always have. If my memory is correct it was sold to me by the French gentleman on eBay who used to always Pair French razors and stones. In fact I know he’s the one who sold it to me. What my memory is is that he called it a Pierre du Levant.

Here it is with two turkey stones one that I would consider a standard with lots of cracks and chipping, and Another that looks a lot more like this stone. Are they all the same stone I think so but I wouldn’t say absolutely.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47

timwcic

"Look what I found"
It amazes me the crap I pull out of the dirt fields in Florida. What was the simple find turns into a international mystery

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Did it stink when lapping it?

A matter of fact it did. I lapped it with second stone that stunk like rotten whale oil. This one had a faint odor that reminded me of burnt matches. Just refreshed a tugger. I did around 100 laps on oil and was given a edge every bit equal to a Ark. This stone has good finisher potential

Top Bottom