What's new

What's the razor you most wish you hadn't parted with?

Probably my grandfather's late 40s-early 50s Superspeed, the fourth DE razor I used. Actually I'm not sure if it was my grandfather's — it might have been one of my older uncle's — but I miss that razor.

I got really shaken up by how close it shaved; I was left with very red skin all over my face and a sense I had managed to shave much closer than I was aware of while I was shaving. It's the only razor I felt I might hurt myself without knowing I was doing so.

At the same time, I loved the feel of it and the design. The weight was perfect and it was an incredibly smooth shave (thus the ability to shave too close without realizing it). I loved the dense knurling on the handle.

I gave it away because I was too scared of using that particular razor and didn't see myself using it again.

Looking back at it now, though, I wonder if what I thought was too close of a shave was actually a skin reaction to the soap, which I had reactions to later, or the combination of the soap with a really close shave? My memory of it is too fuzzy to guess with any confidence anymore, but it would be nice to try it again.

Both razors falling into this category I have replaced. A NDC Super Speed and a Rex Envoy. Neither shave as well as my Wolfman WR2, but, for nostalgia sake they stay in my den.

A Lupo and a Copper Charcoal Goods. I was new to wetshaving with both of them, and didn’t know what I had. I’m gonna replace the Lupo eventually.

I was lucky that it was still in production and easily replaceable. I PIFd a Game Changer to a coworker, missed it so I bought another one.

Top Bottom