What's new

Oldest piece of family furniture you have?

I think members on this forum tend to hold onto things. After my parents passed there was a huge family fight over this furniture. And it’s not like you would think it would have been. It was a fight over not wanting it at the time. I had no desire to have it, but my sister who was executor told me it needed to stay in the family. We went back and forth and my wife finally told me that I would regret not keeping it. As usual she was right. After 40 years I still have it. I refinished the top several years ago as the veneer was lifting. I dated the furniture around the late 30s to maybe the 40s so I would put it at 80 plus years. So, how many have a piece of furniture that fits the bill of old family furniture ? I bet this could be the youngster with members here.
IMG_4584.jpeg

IMG_6118.jpeg
This marble-topped table might go back to my great grandparents (my mother's mother's parents) both immigrants from Germany. Late 19th century?

I have an old family bed with a spindle headboard. It's stored up in the attic. It is probably of similar vintage. My mother knew who had repaired it with a poorly matched spindle, but I have forgotten.

IMG_6120.jpeg

The whole family used the water from this copper wash boiler for sequential Saturday night baths. Took the buggy to church on Sunday.

View attachment 1803360 This marble-topped table might go back to my great grandparents (my mother's mother's parents) both immigrants from Germany. Late 19th century?

I have an old family bed with a spindle headboard. It's stored up in the attic. It is probably of similar vintage. My mother knew who had repaired it with a poorly matched spindle, but I have forgotten.

View attachment 1803363
The whole family used the water from this copper wash boiler for sequential Saturday night baths. Took the buggy to church on Sunday.
I really like the marble top. We have a mix of vintage and modern furniture. The one thing we decided years ago is that furniture like couches and chairs have to comfortable.

IMG_2846.jpeg

This is the sideboard at Christmas. We have quite a few of the Department 56 A Christmas Story pieces along with other village pieces. I would often wonder if it’s worth the time to set up as it takes about a day to set this and all the other pieces up. This year that question was answered when our 4 year old grandson said he wanted to shrink down and live in the village. It makes it all worth it when the kids are excited to see everything.

Last edited:
This is the sideboard at Christmas.

Nice!!

Sadly, we kids hammered (loved to death) the Christmas village and most of the tree ornaments from my youth. They were already old in the 50s when we got our hands on them. The memories are still wonderful and the excitement is still palpable when I see similar setups like yours.

View attachment 1815834

We have this bed in our guest bedroom, I slept in it during my teenage years and up until I met my wife. Purchased by my grandmother as an antique. Probably from the mid 1800's. The table that is peaking into the right side of the picture is a similarly aged antique.
When they say that things aren’t made like they used to really applies to this piece of furniture. Really cool!!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Matt:
The Mrs. and I have a antique / vintage 1958 German Nordmende (model Fidelio 58 3D), Radio (still works and in great condition), we bought many years ago in Frankfurt, Germany at a Flea Market. We also have other antiques;

1) German Wall Unit (shrunk).

2) German Sofa, Couch, Cigar Chair and Ottoman.

3) German Singer Sewing Machine Cabinet.

Note: The above circa 1950's

4) American Telephone Chair.

Note: The above circa 1960's
I'll have to post some pics later.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"[...] Antiques. I look at things that have a wink to the past but are also reinterpreted in some way and made to feel modern...[...]". Jessica Chastain

We have a circa 1810 tall case clock that my dad bought in the 60s. We also have a nice mahogany desk and a set of nesting tables that my parents bought in the 50s. Our dog chewed the corner of one of the tables about a year ago. We thought he was over chewing furniture but he took a chunk out of the desk a couple of weeks ago. I threatened to take him back to the shelter but we've forgiven him. He now gets confined to a safer room when we go out. I have plans to repair those pieces once he finally stops chewing.

My grandfather was, at one point, a cabinet maker. He made various pieces of furniture and he gave me a 'log box'. I am the eldest grandchild so I had special privileges in those days(!) It was originally a shelf behind the bar of the pub that one of my great-aunts ran, and he turned it into this (excuse the mess). He distressed it so it looks a lot older, but is about as old as I am (63). It is the only piece I managed to get, and it has followed me to Asia.
tempImageK46Svo.png

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My great grandfather was a carpenter and cabinet maker. He made a large wardrobe using only hand tools, no power tools, that is rather intricate and is made to be disassembled and reassembled easily. My sister has and uses it today. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it. I do have some of the specialized hand planes he used to cut grooves and make joints with, things that would be done with power tools today.

Top Bottom