What's new

What's the Best DE?

So you now use a push pack to load your razor without touching it ? I didn't think you could even get those anymore and I've never seen anyone actually use one. Exactly how do you remove the blade without touching it or do you hire someone else to do that??

I'm sorry but this seems a bit ridiculous to me.
Yes, the mid ‘30’s TTO was easier to load and the later notched meant you didn’t need to handle a blade at all.

I'd say some would agree the Red Tip represents one of if not the best ever produced because it serves a wide variety of users, it's safe, and the user does not need to handle the blade. Mechanically, it is straight forward and not easily broken. They sure have lasted a long time and regardless of looks, they continue to impress and serve us well. All these factors could certainly make it one if not the best ever.
While I don't use it everyday, I could join the chorus for the Red Tip. It's a superb daily shaver that would keep me very happy if it were my only razor. It's one of four razors that whenever I'm using one makes me ask why I bother using anything else.

proxy.php

The answer to all these "best" thread is always the same - the razors I own are the best DEs!
No need to create new thread every week.
It's an opinion forum, if you find it tedious there are other options for you.

So you now use a push pack to load your razor without touching it ? I didn't think you could even get those anymore. Exactly how do you remove the blade without touching it or do you hire someone else to do that??

I'm sorry but this seems a bit ridiculous to me.

So, the context of this thread is the best DE with all things being considered. I proposed the 34 Aristocrat, but now I am thinking the best was/is the notched Super Speed.

Oh, if you want to take out the blade of a Gillette TTO without touching blade, simply open the doors and invert. I figured all the experts already knew.

While I don't use it everyday, I could join the chorus for the Red Tip. It's a superb daily shaver that would keep me very happy if it were my only razor. It's one of four razors that whenever I'm using one makes me ask why I bother using anything else.

So, it’s really got it all if you think about it. Thank you!!:a50:

You skipped the push-pak part. Ok.so after use you turn the razor upside down and sweep the used blade away with a dedicated blade sweeper to avoid manual contact? Again , ridiculous to me. Different strokes.

So, the context of this thread is the best DE with all things being considered. I proposed the 34 Aristocrat, but now I am thinking the best was/is the notched Super Speed.

Oh, if you want to take out the blade of a Gillette TTO without touching blade, simply open the doors and invert. I figured all the experts already knew.

Last edited:
Gotcha .

Sorry I always thought the notch/push-pak thing marketing nonsense, I never imagined folks actually did what you are describing..

Lots of marketing in shaving, even straights. The use of “Celebrated “ graces many a blade.

Ah OK, thanks. I was thinking of the blades I use, nearly all of which are in paper envelopes (or whatever you call them) and often stuck with wax spots. The most dangerous part of handling those, in my experience, is peeling the paper away from the blade, which a TTO wouldn't help with at all. I don't really find it an issue though, I just do it carefully!

Yes blades are sharp. Rule #1. I don't have any blades in push-packs. I've cut myself numerous times improperly trying to manually load and align injector razors but I'm approaching 50 years of shaving and don't recall any injurious loading of a DE blade.

Ah OK, thanks. I was thinking of the blades I use, nearly all of which are in paper envelopes (or whatever you call them) and often stuck with wax spots. The most dangerous part of handling those, in my experience, is peeling the paper away from the blade, which a TTO wouldn't help with at all. I don't really find it an issue though, I just do it carefully!

Last edited:
Yes blades are sharp. Rule #1. I don't have any blades in push-packs. I've cut myself numerous times improperly trying to manually load and align injector razors but I'm approaching 50 years of shaving and don't recall any injurious loading of a DE blade.

Neither do I. The only time I cut myself on one was when I picked up by the long edges what I thought was a shim I'd made and found out it wasn't.

Yes, those old E types that open can be a challenge.

Top Bottom