What's new

What's the Best DE?

I tend to think a '34 Aristocrat (that I've never used) is the best ever produced from the many reviews and accolades. The Fat Boy/Red Tip thread has me curious.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
You’ll likely get many answers here, as with most ‘best’ threads.

My ‘best’ is my lowly Goodwill #160.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I can get the shave I want from any of my DEs. The one I enjoy using most is the Edwin Jagger DE3D14, but that's probably to do with where the balance point is on the handle, so it feels better in hand to me. They all lead to the same great shaves though, so there's no winners in that respect.

You’ll likely get many answers here, as with most ‘best’ threads.

My ‘best’ is my lowly Goodwill #160.
I've always respected you opinions and experiences. There does seem to be a majority of folks that think the 1930's represent the best and your GW is well within this range. I enjoy mine as well.

I can get the shave I want from any of my DEs. The one I enjoy using most is the Edwin Jagger DE3D14, but that's probably to do with where the balance point is on the handle, so it feels better in hand to me. They all lead to the same great shaves though, so there's no winners in that respect.
Yes, I understand and agree that I can get what I need regardless. I was thinking however of which DE would provide most users to obtain an excellent shave. Would we not agree that the evolution of the DE was not to provide a better razor, but one that would provide something safer? The mid '30's Aristocrat seems to balance effectiveness with safety without compromising either.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I've always respected you opinions and experiences. There does seem to be a majority of folks that think the 1930's represent the best and your GW is well within this range. I enjoy mine as well.
You’re onto something there ... most of my favorites are also of that era ... the 1st generation British Aristocrat (#15), the Sheraton/Senator, the British Goodwill.

Karve CB, followed closely by the Rockwell 6S. With both razors, I am finding the sweet spot to be very intuitive in terms of getting a great shave. I will admit to no experience with vintage DEs, but none of the other half dozen or so DEs in my possession come close to matching either of these two beauties.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Yes, I understand and agree that I can get what I need regardless. I was thinking however of which DE would provide most users to obtain an excellent shave.

Whichever one they choose and stick with, instead of swapping around chasing recommendations on the internet. :D

Technique > Razor

That aside, different people tend to favour different aspects. Just look around at the variety of razors our members prefer. For some it's the high end modern razors, for some it's vintage, and for some it's neither.

Would we not agree that the evolution of the DE was not to provide a better razor, but one that would provide something safer?

I wouldn't agree on that actually. The evolution was to provide something different to the competition, be it in styling, materials, or performance. If the evolution was purely for safety, every modern razor would have negative blade exposure and zero gap.

The mid '30's Aristocrat seems to balance effectiveness with safety without compromising either.

I can't comment on vintage DE razors. I only have one old Gillette (my birth year razor) and it shaves no better than modern razors. I've not been interested in chasing vintage razors, only to have to adjust my handling and end up back at exactly the same shave that I was getting before.

I've heard lots of recommendations to go for vintage, but I've also heard recommendations for blades I don't rate highly, lathers which would give me worse shaves, and techniques that make me cringe.

If I was to suggest one single razor that newbies should start with, it would be one which is difficult to get good results with. Once they master that, then they've more chance of enjoying anything they try thereafter.

Yes, I understand and agree that I can get what I need regardless. I was thinking however of which DE would provide most users to obtain an excellent shave. Would we not agree that the evolution of the DE was not to provide a better razor, but one that would provide something safer? The mid '30's Aristocrat seems to balance effectiveness with safety without compromising either.
If you are going by safety alone, the Gillette Tech is your best bet. I can whip that around my face with reckless abandon (once you find the right angle it is pretty efficient and very smooth). However I find all Gillettes to be safe with proper technique. For instance, the Old Type is a ***** cat once you learn how to use it.

Yes, but
If you are going by safety alone, the Gillette Tech is your best bet. I can whip that around my face with reckless abandon (once you find the right angle it is pretty efficient and very smooth). However I find all Gillettes to be safe with proper technique. For instance, the Old Type is a ***** cat once you learn how to use it.
Yes, but which era represents the Gillette that you would not need to "learn to use"? This leads me back to the 1930's. Effective and Safe. I do not think anyone thinks the '60's represent the most effective DE. They are simply safe. This is probably why Feather blades are preferred these 1960 razors.

One Best is hard..........how about a top 5? The *best DE's "for me" so far are:

-Rex Ambassador
-Karve
-Rockwell 6s/c
-Parker Variant
-Slim/ Fatboy

(Still yet to try:the great vintages mentioned above, Timeless, RR Game Changer, ATT, Charcoal Goods, Wolfman)

*by best I mean those razors which, on my preferred settings, are the most comfortable, buttery smooth, forgiving, & one that can be a mindless cruise control razor that still delivers efficient & fantastic BBS shaves with ease. I have other great shavers I enjoy as well but they are not as smooth, not forgiving, require total concentration, and will bite if technique is off. These I use when I want a bit more of a challenge.

One Best is hard..........how about a top 5? The *best DE's "for me" so far are:

-Rex Ambassador
-Karve
-Rockwell 6s/c
-Parker Variant
-Slim/ Fatboy

(Still yet to try:the great vintages mentioned above, Timeless, RR Game Changer, ATT, Charcoal Goods, Wolfman)

*by best I mean those razors which, on my preferred settings, are the most comfortable, buttery smooth, forgiving, & one that can be a mindless cruise control razor that still delivers efficient & fantastic BBS shaves with ease. I have other great shavers I enjoy as well but they are not as smooth, not forgiving, require total concentration, and will bite if technique is off. These I use when I want a bit more of a challenge.

You've just made one of my points. As DE's evolved they became more comfortable, smooth, and forgiving, but not better tools for cutting whiskers. I am after which era produced what you like and did not compromise effectiveness.

I know of no one with vintage experience who thinks the Fat Boy as one of the best DE's. They were safe, comfortable, and smooth and able to be tweaked a bit.

The best "razor" may not be "the best DE razor", but I'm sure you knew that. There are more and more SE razors that are just amazing, and it's tough to beat GEM PTFE or P-30 blades.

Yes, but

Yes, but which era represents the Gillette that you would not need to "learn to use"? This leads me back to the 1930's. Effective and Safe. I do not think anyone thinks the '60's represent the most effective DE. They are simply safe. This is probably why Feather blades are preferred these 1960 razors.
I prefer the post war fat handle Tech (1950). It is basically a New SC with a safety bar. For a daily three pass shave, it is a razor that is hard to beat for smoothness and effectiveness. It is a very rigid razor that will get the most out of a blade and in my opinion does not require a feather blade to perform. It does take some time to master because of the narrow effective cutting angle, but no more than the Goodwill, New, Sheraton etc.

Like many on this forum, I own a large number of razors. I like all of them and love a few of them. But the best one of all is the next one I buy.

You've just made one of my points. As DE's evolved they became more comfortable, smooth, and forgiving, but not better tools for cutting whiskers. I am after which era produced what you like and did not compromise effectiveness.

Smoothness doesn’t automatically mean a loss in efficiency. I think this is where some of the moderns excell. It is possible to have a DE which is comfortable, smooth, & forgiving, & yet at the same time have a whisker wacking machine, no? Case in point was the examples I listed. Everyone of them is a whisker destroyer but they do it with such ease & smooth comfort. Not trying to be impossible, but I think some moderns have surpassed vintages in the combo of smoothness & efficiency. My Gillette New SC is a good razor from the golden Gillette era, but it doesn't hold a candle to these others ones I have IMO.

R

romsitsa

The one that suits you the best. For me a Gillette New. If we concentrate on build quality and level of engineering then a 2nd gen Aristocrat.

Adam

I would hate to have to choose just one. My top 5 would be: Wolfman WR1, GC84, Karve C/D, Timeless Bronze 38SB, Blackland Blackbird. All different and all work great for me!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You're no doubt going to get the best tried so far given each shaver's inventory of razors. Interestingly enough, even people who have only tried 2 razors will offer their opinion of the best razor - and they will be correct given their experience.

I do believe an excellent way to get suggestions is to tally up the top choices from "best" posts. There are a great many razors I have not tried, but my best is my Wolfman. Seeing as it totally killed my RAD the day it arrived I don't see how my experience will ever go beyond where it is that day.

Top Bottom