What's new

"Triple-Milled" does anyone have a definitive listing?

As I've explored DE Shaving over the past three years or so - I've tried a lot of different soaps.
I've come to the conclusion that I like the "triple-milled" or "hard soaps" the best.
These include: DR Harris, MdC, MWF, SV, Fine (old formula), Canada.

Has a definitive listing ever been created here?

I'd be curious to know of other markers/brands that also make similarly hard, long-lasting soaps?
Thank you.

Ach. Brito Musgo and Mogno
Claus Porto Musgo Real
Pre de Provence (pick the one you want either No. 63 or Bergamot and Thyme

If you like sticks, LEA, La Toja and Speick are nice hard soaps as well.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Speick stick is a great soap and is hard and excellent. The scent is a mild spicy scent with some lavender and the lather qualities are excellent that can be offered in hard soaps IMO. I mostly bowl lather by cutting some slivers off with my pocket knife into the bowl and then pressing them in the bottom and just wet a finger to secure any stray little pieces and it just lasts. Face lathering works OK but I like bowl lathering my soaps.

SOTD Febuaruy 20 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I have seen several threads similar to this one. I imagine majority of soaps listed are just what people consider to be "hard soap". I am curious how many are actually confirmed to be triple milled.
Here is another one with same questionable "triple milled" soaps:
Triple milled hard soaps from A to Z

Abbate y La Mantia have some very good performing hard soaps now. They seem to be transitioning from soft soaps to hard.

If I understood it right every soap is a triple milled because it's part of the soap making process. It's more of the marketing thing. Even the ordinary hand bar soaps are triple milled.
You could add Meissner Tremonia and Arran soaps to the list.

If I understood it right every soap is a triple milled because it's part of the soap making process. It's more of the marketing thing. Even the ordinary hand bar soaps are triple milled.
You could add Meissner Tremonia and Arran soaps to the list.
My understanding is different.

From what I've read, triple milling is a specific process where soap pellets are heated and passed through a series of rollers and presses to extract significant amounts (all?) of the water in the soap before being formed into a puck. Most soaps are not triple milled because triple milling requires specific (expensive) machinery that not every soap manufacturer has or can even access.

That said, there are some soap makers who claim their soaps are "triple milled" but who don't actually use the triple milling process. A charitable reading towards these manufacturers suggests they've essentially turned the term "triple milled" into a term of art that is different from the original meaning.

From what I've read, triple milling is a specific process where soap pellets are heated and passed through a series of rollers and presses to extract significant amounts (all?) of the water in the soap before being formed into a puck. Most soaps are not triple milled because triple milling requires specific (expensive) machinery that not every soap manufacturer has or can even access.

That said, there are some soap makers who claim their soaps are "triple milled" but who don't actually use the triple milling process. A charitable reading towards these manufacturers suggests they've essentially turned the term "triple milled" into a term of art that is different from the original meaning.
Sorry my bad. To correct myself - not every soap is triple milled, not every hard soap is triple milled and triple milling is not an indication of the soap quality. Nor hardness of the soap for that matter. Many industrial hand soaps are triple milled and very hard so that fact doesn't makes them all quality soaps by default.

Sorry my bad. To correct myself - not every soap is triple milled, not every hard soap is triple milled and triple milling is not an indication of the soap quality. Nor hardness of the soap for that matter. Many industrial hand soaps are triple milled and very hard so that fact doesn't makes them all quality soaps by default.
Absolutely! I know many people struggle with TOBS, but it works well for me. I'm not sure that makes it a "quality" soap in general, but it's definitely one of my favorites. I have other favorites, including softer soaps, like Captain's Choice, cella, and Haslinger that aren't triple milled but also perform well for me.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pre de Provence no. 63 is indeed triple milled.
PdP is quad-milled from what I've heard over the many years I've been around.

Read up!

Indeed, the triple milled claim has become a bit convoluted it would seem. I've got soaps that are as hard and last as long as those that claim 3x milled status, but don't make the aforementioned claim.
I also see the claim "cold processed" and EDT strength aftershave tossed about as well.
On the surface one might be led to believe cold processed is better, but I've had/have bath soaps that are "cold processed" that last all of a couple of weeks with only daily use.
EDT strength AS claims are a hoot as well. EDT perhaps if you ask someone how you smell, but they have to be within 2 inches of your face?

Top Bottom