What's new

What's the Best DE?

I don’t think there is any one ‘best.’

Awhile ago I decided to move from the ‘collector’ to the ‘user’ camp. This forced me to cull the herd to the razor that I enjoyed most, my WR1, which has an optimal (for me) combination of blade rigidity, exposure, weight and overall fine workmanship. That is now my daily driver!

When traveling I get fine shaves with a modest Lord L6 that I would not mind losing if I forgot it in a hotel.

I was hoping more from you. This is not a question for me since I am neither new or looking. The question is about the qualities of a tool that does it's intended purpose while being easy to use, and that lasts. The '34 Aristocrats are still being used, still providing exceptional results that are safe and comfortable for most everyone. How many BIC disposables can make that claim, Mac?

In order to make a really valid determination of what constitutes the best DE, a shaver needs years of experience and must be familiar with a variety of both vintage and modern razors. Upon reaching that pinnacle, the razor itself is less important than the expertise of the shaver. And then there is personal preference. My best may be different from the next fella. Kudos to the shaver who has found his or her RAD killer.

In order to make a really valid determination of what constitutes the best DE, a shaver needs years of experience and must be familiar with a variety of both vintage and modern razors. Upon reaching that pinnacle, the razor itself is less important than the expertise of the shaver. And then there is personal preference. My best may be different from the next fella. Kudos to the shaver who has found his or her RAD killer.
People discuss design everyday without actually experiencing.

Wolfman WR1. No, wait, Timeless Bronze. No, wait, Gillette Slim. No, wait, ATT Windsor. No wait, R41. No, wait....
When I read your post for the first time, I thought you were saying the Wolfman was the best but the others were the next best if you didn’t want to wait!

If there was one best this forum wouldn't need to exist.

It is a relationship thing. This is a one to many relationship as opposed to a one to one when put in the context of razors and shaving. There is one most correct aka the best like ticking off boxes in a checklist if enough criteria is given.

If I could only have one it would be a first release New LC. I can use it every day and it never fails to give me a smooth comfortable shave. That being said, I have never tried an uber expensive razor so I don't know what I don't know.

Of course ticking off boxes does not make for a great relationship. Gotta couple of ex wives who would probably agree.

I have favorite razors (pro tip, check my avatar) but I have no illusions that what makes them favorites makes them "best" for anybody else.
It is a relationship thing. This is a one to many relationship as opposed to a one to one when put in the context of razors and shaving. There is one most correct aka the best like ticking off boxes in a checklist if enough criteria is given.

Last edited:
While I've not been at this hobby long, I've tried several. Modern and vintage. I'd have to say the Gillette Tech of the late 40's (closed comb) is the easiest to use and provides an excellent shave.. But for some reason Im more drawn to "The New" and the Old Type.

While I've not been at this hobby long, I've tried several. Modern and vintage. I'd have to say the Gillette Tech of the late 40's (closed comb) is the easiest to use and provides an excellent shave.. But for some reason Im more drawn to "The New" and the Old Type.
This is the kind of post I was thinking about. Hard to argue the tech or tech type being the best all time even though I was thinking of a first generation TTO.

Top Bottom