What's new

What's so bad about Wilkinson Sword shaving soap?

@Vladimir P , @dabrock

Arko is almost like a cleanser if you bowl lather but also moisturizes if you apply the stick directly on the skin. The post feel isn't too bad with the second method. Arko Naturel Krem is quite a rich, oily cream. I'd only apply it on my hands. On the face only if it is freezing cold dry weather.

I usually shave every morning and wash my face with a sulphur bar soap in the evening. Sometimes I feel I need something more and have a quick shave using Arko. It leaves a clean face just had some peeling.

@Vladimir P , @dabrock

Arko is almost like a cleanser if you bowl lather but also moisturizes if you apply the stick directly on the skin. The post feel isn't too bad with the second method. Arko Naturel Krem is quite a rich, oily cream. I'd only apply it on my hands. On the face only if it is freezing cold dry weather.

I usually shave every morning and wash my face with a sulphur bar soap in the evening. Sometimes I feel I need something more and have a quick shave using Arko. It leaves a clean face just had some peeling.

I use it as a stick and face lather but still get the drying.

Arko is almost like a cleanser if you bowl lather but also moisturizes if you apply the stick directly on the skin.
That's good info. Thanks!

Arko Naturel Krem is quite a rich, oily cream. I'd only apply it on my hands. On the face only if it is freezing cold dry weather.
Currently I use Nivea Men for skin drying soaps. Works OK for me and widely available product that people should consider as alternative to the balm.

proxy.php

That's good info. Thanks!

Currently I use Nivea Men for skin drying soaps. Works OK for me and widely available product that people should consider as alternative to the balm.

proxy.php

I prefer Nivea Soft since it has jojoba and doesn't leave my skin feeling greasy and is certainly an decent alternative, but I don't find regular creams to be particularly good aftershave products unless it's going on top of an AS, as always YMMV!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I picked up a bowl of this stuff today from the local pharmacy, and used it for today's shave. Although I've been a big fan of the Wilkinson Sword Classic razor and blades for a few decades, this is the first time I've tried the soap.

The scent is very synthetic, but that should fade in time, and performance is acceptable but not earth shatteringly wonderful. I think for the £2.45 I paid, it's a well priced "Steady Eddie" of a soap, that you'll always get a good shave from, and upon which you can add your own choice of scent (be it aftershave or cologne) without too much fear of clashing.

Not something I'd go out of my way to stock up on, but a decently performing, easily available and very affordable soap to fall back on, should I find myself without a soap at short notice. (I'm not a soap hoarder)

I see the OP had this posted from Birmingham, UK, which is unfortunately where I am posting this from. Don’t you guys in the US get this soap under the Schick brand over there?

In the USA, no. In Canada, yes. (I live near the border.)

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I don't like the perfume scent of the Blue Bowl. Soap-wise, it suffices but given my druthers, I'd rather have the old Black Bowl over the Blue, just because of the scent.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
With so many well reviewed, reasonably priced soaps available, I can't imagine wanting to try a poor-mediocre performer with a questionable ingredient list and questionable scent.

I admit I only try products with positive B&B reviews - a practice that has served me well.

I prefer Nivea Soft since it has jojoba and doesn't leave my skin feeling greasy and is certainly an decent alternative, but I don't find regular creams to be particularly good aftershave products unless it's going on top of an AS, as always YMMV!

Indeed, I add the cream after applying AS first. Thanks for recommending the Nivea Soft, I wasn't aware of it and I'll definitely get me some when I'm due for a refill. :thumbsup:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
... I admit I only try products with positive B&B reviews ...
I don't have the money (or years!! :001_tongu) to try all the stuff recommended here, but yes, your approach/filter is similar to mine. I especially pay attention to what @beginish 's opinion is on his stuff over in the 3017 thread. But don't let him know that, it'll swell his head. :innocent:

With so many well reviewed, reasonably priced soaps available, I can't imagine wanting to try a poor-mediocre performer with a questionable ingredient list and questionable scent.

I admit I only try products with positive B&B reviews - a practice that has served me well.

You'll notice people who have high end lust worthy soaps by the truck load sometimes still use the humble oldschool software like Wilkinson, Arko, Williams, Palmolive, Cella, Proraso, Tabac etc. There's pleasure in paying respect to the tradition and the working man ritual we saw our fathers and grandfathers practice before us.

After a time you can get desensitized by using only higher quality stuff, so you lose your ground reference and it's good to come back to your beginnings and close the circle, contemplate your journey.

To some people it's all about getting a good shave, it's not a hobby, there's no chasing an ideal BBS, or post shave feel, or collecting things. The basic kit will get you good shaves without the CNC milled titanium handles or shea butters. Good technique and practice is the most important variable. To quote the Stallion, "Everything works".

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Soap. :001_tongu

If I recall correctly (it been many years), it was scented as well, but to a MUCH lesser degree than the Blue Bowl and not near as perfume-like.

Thank, Sam. Sounds like that would be more to my taste too :D After only trying scented soaps very recently, I think I'll be going back to my unscented soaps again afterwards. It appears I have a strong preference for fairly neutral products

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
@AimlessWanderer , I don't mind scented soaps (love Arko and Mama Bear's dragon's blood) but they have to be scents I like and, alas, the Wilkie Blue Bowl does not fall into that category as it is more like a synthetic scent. If you have not tried the Wilkie stick yet, I would strongly recommend it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
To some people it's all about getting a good shave, it's not a hobby, there's no chasing an ideal BBS, or post shave feel, or collecting things. The basic kit will get you good shaves without the CNC milled titanium handles or shea butters. Good technique and practice is the most important variable. To quote the Stallion, "Everything works".

Well said! For me personally, the more regularly I do an activity, the simpler I want it to be. I do appreciate that we all have different tastes, and some require more luxury or variety to keep their shaves interesting, whereas I prefer minimal change, and let the subtleties of the shave itself be my variable. That said, I am trying a new blade with each blade change at the moment.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
@AimlessWanderer , I don't mind scented soaps (love Arko and Mama Bear's dragon's blood) but they have to be scents I like and, alas, the Wilkie Blue Bowl does not fall into that category as it is more like a synthetic scent. If you have not tried the Wilkie stick yet, I would strongly recommend it.

I probably will at some point, but I'm currently feeling like I'm at too many (four) soaps, and am already looking forward to getting back to two. One for home, one for away. I'll probably try the Wilkie stick instead of my regular travel option (Palmolive) at some point.

I see the OP had this posted from Birmingham, UK, which is unfortunately where I am posting this from. Don’t you guys in the US get this soap under the Schick brand over there?

There is no Schick shaving soap that I've ever seen. The only Schick creams are brushless.

The major shaving manucturers, Shick, Personna, and Gillette, sell virtually no traditional shaving products in the US. Personna supplies store branded DE blades to drug stores. Gillette owns The Art of Shaving. Everything else from them is multi-bladed cartridges and cans or tubes of shaving gels and brushless creams.

There is no Schick shaving soap that I've ever seen. The only Schick creams are brushless.

The major shaving manucturers, Shick, Personna, and Gillette, sell virtually no traditional shaving products in the US. Personna supplies store branded DE blades to drug stores. Gillette owns The Art of Shaving. Everything else from them is multi-bladed cartridges and cans or tubes of shaving gels and brushless creams.

Unless I'm mistaken, P&G owns both AOS and Gillette, but Gillette itself does not own AOS. Gillette does have a variety of DE products including razors and blades as well as the Guard. You just won't find those products in wealthy countries.

Unless I'm mistaken, P&G owns both AOS and Gillette, but Gillette itself does not own AOS. Gillette does have a variety of DE products including razors and blades as well as the Guard. You just won't find those products in wealthy countries.
Yep, looks like you are correct. According to the NY Times, P&G bought The Art of Shaving in 2009.

Top Bottom