What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

A Reynolds wedge I bought from @luecke2326 a while ago.

White bone and honey horn wedge. I polished the blade good, but did not useany sandpaper, so pitting shows.

View attachment 908325

Wow that looks stunning in bone so natural well done Sir!!!!

Thats great to know Ian....i now know who to send my resto's too.....lol.

lol its a well earned rest but looking at what we have still left, I doubt it will happen as the road season has finished to cold and getting to wet. I bet we will be moving stone about but I still get my weekends back.....

IMG_20180902_193036.jpg
IMG_20180902_193006.jpg
IMG_20180902_193155.jpg
IMG_20180902_193129.jpg
salvaged an old rusty. Wm gilchrist.i think it's around 140 yrs old. Oh and the mastadon ivory is a little older. That stuff is hard to cut. Also I'm limited on tools so it's got the shape just not perfect. Honed up to a thuri finish. Will test her out this week.

Thanks! This is the prettiest one I've done so far lol

Yes it sure stands out and I have found the more you do the better you get, but that blade also has a beautiful shine to it and matched to those scales it has the wow factor.....

This Razor arrived the other day and these are the pictures.
Gold Bug A. Witte Germany 5/8+ Full Concave

4.jpg

5.jpg

Please note the scales on the backside the stuff near to the pins, well I have sanded them down and the stain is still there see next pic...

20180906_011701.jpg

But the Blade has come up nice

20180906_011458.jpg
20180906_011524.jpg

So now comes the twist the razor is called a Gold Bug, so I am going to give the tang a gold wash and along the top of the spine.
Also new scales now I am making 2 sets one Yellow and one Amber, here they are all ready to sand and shape....

20180908_183142.jpg
20180908_183228.jpg

This is where I am at ATM so more pictures follow tomorrow.

This Razor arrived the other day and these are the pictures.
Gold Bug A. Witte Germany 5/8+ Full Concave

View attachment 910888
View attachment 910887

Please note the scales on the backside the stuff near to the pins, well I have sanded them down and the stain is still there see next pic...

View attachment 910893

But the Blade has come up nice

View attachment 910895 View attachment 910896

So now comes the twist the razor is called a Gold Bug, so I am going to give the tang a gold wash and along the top of the spine.
Also new scales now I am making 2 sets one Yellow and one Amber, here they are all ready to sand and shape....

View attachment 910897 View attachment 910898

This is where I am at ATM so more pictures follow tomorrow.
Thanks for the kind words. There's a lot to say about practice, that's for sure. My pinning skills certainly need work. It took me 3 tries to get the pivot right! That Gold Bug will be awesome! What grit did you use to sand the scales? I'm always afraid of working old plastics too hard lest I do more damage than when I started. Also, is that acrylic?

Thanks for the kind words. There's a lot to say about practice, that's for sure. My pinning skills certainly need work. It took me 3 tries to get the pivot right! That Gold Bug will be awesome! What grit did you use to sand the scales? I'm always afraid of working old plastics too hard lest I do more damage than when I started. Also, is that acrylic?

Dont worry about pinning that's where your problem lies, when I started in 2017 the gold dollar mod contest I had never any dealings with straights. I lost washers my fingers was to big hammer was way to heavy and the peen split as the pins was to long, then it all fell into place asking questions along the way helped even if they sound silly.

As no question is silly or stupid I bought a 6oz hammer and that is about much use as a chocolate fire guard, Slash McCoy told me to use a table spoon and that is what I use today. You dont need to whack the pin just light taps and that puts a nice round peen on the end, but also if you file the end and give it a slight tapper and helps the peening.

The scales I use all sorts but those are acrylic, to sand them I use w/d right up to 6000 grit or micro mesh then a light polish to bring them like glass.
But do take your time when sanding as you can feel any lumps and bumps, that's where people go wrong by rushing this is a labour of love the more time the better the result.

these both was just over a week each sanding to get right....

20180506_024213.jpg
20180502_192001.jpg

So you see it does pay off taking your time....

Dont worry about pinning that's where your problem lies, when I started in 2017 the gold dollar mod contest I had never any dealings with straights. I lost washers my fingers was to big hammer was way to heavy and the peen split as the pins was to long, then it all fell into place asking questions along the way helped even if they sound silly.

As no question is silly or stupid I bought a 6oz hammer and that is about much use as a chocolate fire guard, Slash McCoy told me to use a table spoon and that is what I use today. You dont need to whack the pin just light taps and that puts a nice round peen on the end, but also if you file the end and give it a slight tapper and helps the peening.

The scales I use all sorts but those are acrylic, to sand them I use w/d right up to 6000 grit or micro mesh then a light polish to bring them like glass.
But do take your time when sanding as you can feel any lumps and bumps, that's where people go wrong by rushing this is a labour of love the more time the better the result.

these both was just over a week each sanding to get right....

View attachment 910916 View attachment 910915

So you see it does pay off taking your time....
I'll give it a try next time. I see what you mean. Those are beautiful

Just an update on the Gold Bug A. Witte Germany 5/8+ Full Concave.

I was going to give the razor a gold wash but that was a no no, as there is a gold bug razor with a gold tang and It's not this one...

I did make two sets of scales a set in Yellow and a set in Amber, but decided to go with the Yellow set as they set the blade off more.

So here is the pictures with the Gold Bug Razor set in Yellow scales....

20180909_202904.jpg20180909_202925.jpg20180909_202952.jpg20180909_202940.jpg

But she honed up well managed to get a wicked edge on her within no time, then stropped on a Westholme strop and good to go....
And she did the SOTD

20180909_203421.jpg

take into account the wedge is white not yellow lol as showing in this pic....

Top Bottom