What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

The clear yellow scales look great @Ice-Man !

Thank you Sir!!!

And I also made some in Amber colour

20180911_044610.jpg

Last edited:
Working through a bunch of new to me or road razors that need the edges touched up or renewed....semi retos if you want to call it that....lol.

George Wostenholm & Sons Celebrated IXL Washington Works 11/16th barbers notch

This is how it arrived to me

1.jpg
2.jpg

Scales was shot so they was removed and went in to the trash can, but a pattern was taken first then the
Blade was sanded from a 1000k grit through to 8000k. As the blade was not to bad pitting wise new scales was cut sanded and polished, but I did not go to heavy on it left a dull finish as I wanted to keep the grinding marks.

So this is the razor now

20180914_231241.jpg
20180914_231300.jpg
20180914_231351.jpg

Ended up a very nice razor.....

George Wostenholm & Sons Celebrated IXL Washington Works 11/16th barbers notch

This is how it arrived to me

View attachment 912346 View attachment 912347

Scales was shot so they was removed and went in to the trash can, but a pattern was taken first then the
Blade was sanded from a 1000k grit through to 8000k. As the blade was not to bad pitting wise new scales was cut sanded and polished, but I did not go to heavy on it left a dull finish as I wanted to keep the grinding marks.

So this is the razor now

View attachment 912348 View attachment 912349 View attachment 912350

Ended up a very nice razor.....
I agree!

But I was fed up today and had a set of Amber scales doing nothing, then I found a blade with no scales doing nothing so I tried the blade and a perfect match.

so I set to made a wedge out of blue and pinned the sucker up and here is todays job..... these was the scales from post above #682

20180911_044610.jpg

Now with a unmarked blade

20180915_222112.jpg
20180915_222149.jpg

And yes it has been honed might use in for tomorrows shave of the day

But I was fed up today and had a set of Amber scales doing nothing, then I found a blade with no scales doing nothing so I tried the blade and a perfect match.

so I set to made a wedge out of blue and pinned the sucker up and here is todays job..... these was the scales from post above #682

View attachment 912621
Now with a unmarked blade

View attachment 912622 View attachment 912623

And yes it has been honed might use in for tomorrows shave of the day

Sweet!!! I need stuff like that lying around....lol.

Next job on the chopping block Geo Wostenholm & Sons Double Concave IXL razor, this is how the postman brought it to me this morning...…

20180920_153840.jpg
20180920_153825.jpg

So I have removed the scales as they are wood and look rough now in the trash bin, did some light sanding on the blade from 1000 grit as blade looks not to bad up to 8000 grid and a light polish.
This is the blade now..... But it was Hiding some thing ….

The Backside

20180920_203639.jpg

The Front side

20180920_154835.jpg

Bit more of a polish

20180920_203706.jpg

Now I dont think I will get it any better than that without I lose the etching so I'm going to leave it at that, now just need to make some new scales..... I think this one calls for some black horn.....

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Just a few Gold Dollar 66's. Almost ready for scales and honing by The Method. These are all from the junkpile, with issues mostly cosmetic, but too good to toss. The shorty, second from the left, got broke and shortened three times. Tried to give it away and nobody wanted it. That was then, though. A couple of these are gonna be in a pasted balsa strop demo passaround when they are finished, probably the severely pitted shorty at far left, and maybe the one at far right that got magnetized somehow.
IMG_20180920_162139.jpg
IMG_20180920_162047.jpg

Just a few Gold Dollar 66's. Almost ready for scales and honing by The Method. These are all from the junkpile, with issues mostly cosmetic, but too good to toss. The shorty, second from the left, got broke and shortened three times. Tried to give it away and nobody wanted it. That was then, though. A couple of these are gonna be in a pasted balsa strop demo passaround when they are finished, probably the severely pitted shorty at far left, and maybe the one at far right that got magnetized somehow. View attachment 913875 View attachment 913876

Those all look beautiful Slash, even better they are Gold Dollars 66's and what can be done with them.
As we know all to well its endless fun modding those bad boys......

Next job on the chopping block Geo Wostenholm & Sons Double Concave IXL razor, this is how the postman brought it to me this morning...…

View attachment 913840 View attachment 913841

So I have removed the scales as they are wood and look rough now in the trash bin, did some light sanding on the blade from 1000 grit as blade looks not to bad up to 8000 grid and a light polish.
This is the blade now..... But it was Hiding some thing ….

The Backside

View attachment 913846
The Front side

View attachment 913847

Bit more of a polish

View attachment 913848

Now I dont think I will get it any better than that without I lose the etching so I'm going to leave it at that, now just need to make some new scales..... I think this one calls for some black horn.....
Looking forward to seeing the scales!

Well Gent's here she is all done and dusted Geo Wostenholm & Sons Double Concave IXL razor, Now sporting black horn scales.....

20180922_181926.jpg
20180922_182011.jpg
20180922_182038.jpg
20180922_182110.jpg
20180922_182207.jpg
20180922_182142.jpg
20180922_184305.jpg

proxy.php
proxy.php

Salvaged this set of S.R. Droescher Tennis scales from a rat razor(got duped on eBay with this one). When collecting razors gives you lemons, make lemonade out of the parts! So, I threw these scales on another Tennis razor, a Dovo Fritz Bracht in near NOS condition. The Dovo’s scales were warped and shrunken, so they were scrapped. Not the nicest set of scales, but I’m happy with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proxy.php
proxy.php

Salvaged this set of S.R. Droescher Tennis scales from a rat razor(got duped on eBay with this one). When collecting razors gives you lemons, make lemonade out of the parts! So, I threw these scales on another Tennis razor, a Dovo Fritz Bracht in near NOS condition. The Dovo’s scales were warped and shrunken, so they were scrapped. Not the nicest set of scales, but I’m happy with it!

That is one beautiful Dovo!!! But I see a lot of razors with the scales shrunken and warped, the warped bit you can understand possible left in the sun I cannot think why they shrink. so will the modern razors do the same makes you wonder...

Luecke2326 You did a fantastic job on that one you would not be able to tell......

Nice work guys!!
Wonder how many people i can make go nuts in the hotel if i brought a Dremel with me to polish razors :a13:

That is one beautiful Dovo!!! But I see a lot of razors with the scales shrunken and warped, the warped bit you can understand possible left in the sun I cannot think why they shrink. so will the modern razors do the same makes you wonder...

Luecke2326 You did a fantastic job on that one you would not be able to tell......

Thanks Ian! I bet even the modern plastics will shrink and warp, but only time will tell. If you own any of your razors for 60-70 years, you might be able to tell us. Though by then, I’ll be in my 90’s-100 and I may not care by then lol....

Thanks Ian! I bet even the modern plastics will shrink and warp, but only time will tell. If you own any of your razors for 60-70 years, you might be able to tell us. Though by then, I’ll be in my 90’s-100 and I may not care by then lol....

well I can say I wont be around in 60 to 70 years time, as that would put me at 115 to 125 years old I will be long gone lol......:wheelchair::wheelchair::wheelchair:
But it will give the new members something to do reading our post :lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1: in 60 to 70 years time....

Top Bottom