What's new

What's my upgrade path?

Merkur 25C
Feathet Blades
Bulldog (Gel to Cream?)

Hi All,
Head shaver but that doesn't seem to impact the razor too much so face shavers please chime in too.

Looking for my upgrade path. I bought the Merkur 25C not realizing it was for beards. It's however worked well as a first time user. Been using it for maybe 1-2 months. Between then I bought a Merkur 180 (23c) just to try since that was in a similar category but not directly for beards.

I didn't like it and returned it. Terrible shave, felt like it barely got anything. Kept the 25C because it was doing good enough.

Yesterday I decided to shim. Jesus riding a Dinosaur, what a difference. Took way less time, cut beautifully, was able to get areas I struggled with in the past. Actually felt a little scary to use because I could feel the blade. To clarify by feel it didn't hurt or cause any irritation or nicks or anything, it just didn't glide aimlessly over hair without cutting.

So where do I go from here? I don't mind shinning, I'll just have to use something equally thin that will last a bit longer but would prefer to go proper. I do NOT want a butterfly type DE, have my reasons based on looking into them.
Any and all (constructive) feedback welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

I thought about that but a decent number of members here like feather (which is why I went with them) and after shimming am further convinced it's not a blade issue so much as the razer simply isn't aggressive enough. That gap made a massive difference, it was like a whole new razor.

I’d probably recommend the Rockwell 6C/6S as the best beginner option. 6S (stainless steel) if you only want to buy one more razor for the rest of your life, 6C if you want to much less of an investment.

Any of the stainless steel RazoRock Game Changer or Lupo razors would be an excellent option in my opinion, but the downside is that blade gap and straight bar vs open comb options are not one size fit all, each person has their own preferences that work best for them and you can quickly spend more than the $120 a 6S cost trying out different base plate combinations for a RazoRock. That said, RazoRock’s quality is amazing.

GC .84 JAWS, Rocca.
Did a quick search and what you trying to get me cut? lol
Reviews indicate it's pretty unforgiving but I'll look into it some more, thanks.
I’d probably recommend the Rockwell 6C/6S as the best beginner option. 6S (stainless steel) if you only want to buy one more razor for the rest of your life, 6C if you want to much less of an investment.

Any of the stainless steel RazoRock Game Changer or Lupo razors would be an excellent option in my opinion, but the downside is that blade gap and straight bar vs open comb options are not one size fit all, each person has their own preferences that work best for them and you can quickly spend more than the $120 a 6S cost trying out different base plate combinations for a RazoRock. That said, RazoRock’s quality is amazing.
The 6S has peaked my interest but at the same time I'm curious why it isn't recommended more. I see it comes with different plates (which is the part I like) but at the same time that's where the 'why it's not more recommended' comes from with that versatility. I'll have to look tonight and watch some reviews as well.

Even a shimmed Merkur is still very much on the mild end.

Game Changer .84, Lupo DC (.72 OC and .95 SB sides) or their Chinese clones come to my mind.

A Lambda Athena or Ares might sound mightily pagan, but would for sure please the Lord.
So that brings it to two votes for GC and two votes for Lupo. Clones (from any country) are not on the table. IMO 95% of the time clones of a prodict are priced as such for a reason and usually inferior.

lol the Lambada or Ares statement made me laugh. I'll check them out but don't recall seeing those a few weeks back but the internet is a big place.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The forum alone is a quite powerful resource when looking for new razors, why people so often end up with the Rockwell 6S surprises me, I am not a fan of the Henson but I see its appeal, for the Rockwell it seems to be living from being there ages ago but... hmm I think it became obvious that I am not a fan.

When you can get a Game Changer or Lupo locally, take it! Don't discount DSCsometics, their "S9" and "V92/95" Game Changer clones are at least as good as the original Wolfman Guerilla copy, the Game Changer. I would argue that thanks due to the slightly improved baseplate and scalloped cap they are even better. Handles are a matter of taste, the RR handles are usually grippier, the DSCosmetics have sometimes threading issues and often the electropolish is a bit more on the slippery side.

Whatever, feel free to ask and actually, it has already been said. The Search function of B&B might not always be that supreme, but using the term you want to find and leading it with "Badger & Blade" in Google usually produces quite good results.

Does the upgrade have to be a DE razor, or will you consider other options? One of my favorite razors is the Blackland Vector. It's very efficient and it's easy to control. I'm not a head shaver, but I have read many reviews which speak highly of the Vector in this role. If a new razor is your desire, Blackland offers a 30-day trial period. If it doesn't suit you, you can return it free of charge. The Vector has been on the market for some time now so pre-owned razors are also available.
Good luck with your search.

Maybe an adjustable razor such as the Merkur Progress or Futur, Parker Variant OC, Pearl Flexi is in your radar. All shave great and what I recommend to newbie DE users aside from the $7 Lord L6. If you have the funds to spend, the Henson +++ in titanium or Blackland Osprey come to mind. The Lamda Athena has a flawless near perfect (if not) head design IMHO. Then you have the risk free money back guarantees from Blackland, Timeless, and Yates -all also with great designs.

Last edited:
The forum alone is a quite powerful resource when looking for new razors, why people so often end up with the Rockwell 6S surprises me, I am not a fan of the Henson but I see its appeal, for the Rockwell it seems to be living from being there ages ago but... hmm I think it became obvious that I am not a fan.

When you can get a Game Changer or Lupo locally, take it! Don't discount DSCsometics, their "S9" and "V92/95" Game Changer clones are at least as good as the original Wolfman Guerilla copy, the Game Changer. I would argue that thanks due to the slightly improved baseplate and scalloped cap they are even better. Handles are a matter of taste, the RR handles are usually grippier, the DSCosmetics have sometimes threading issues and often the electropolish is a bit more on the slippery side.

Whatever, feel free to ask and actually, it has already been said. The Search function of B&B might not always be that supreme, but using the term you want to find and leading it with "Badger & Blade" in Google usually produces quite good results.
I recommend the Rockwell 6S for its simple versatility and for it being an easy smooth shave. I jumped to the RazoRock Game Changer .84SB from the Rockwell 6C and immediately preferred it over the 6C. I ended up getting more of the Game Changer base plates (.76SB and .68OC) and few of the Lupo ones (.72OC and Aluminum) as well and I definitely prefer all of my RazoRock options I now have over Rockwell's 6 plates, but my new RazoRock collection was more costly and complicated than just getting one Rockwell 6S.

@EM313
Preferably. My hair is coarse and wears the blade quick. I barely get a full shave in using both edges.

@SalS
Care to elaborate why you think they are best? That's like me saying to buy Porsche GT3 without reason.

@Phoenixkh and @SgtCrppls
Thr absolute and I mean not a dollar more would be $150 if it's established, has a good manufacturer warranty (and obviously user satisfaction).

@JL 52
Game Changer seems to have a lot of options so I think I may look at what available and still the Rockwell 6S.

Lupo looks like it's sold out in quite a few places but will keep them in mind too.

Don't buy expensive if you do not know what you want. I recommend DS Cosmetics zamack trio for 23€. You get three blade gaps. If you like them you can buy higher end razors. If you don't loss is minimal.
I agree with that take and it's valid. Zamack doesnt have exactly fantastic reviews though.

Maybe I should start with looking at the Rockwell 6S

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I agree with that take and it's valid. Zamack doesnt have exactly fantastic reviews though.
The forum is a bit snobbish. Zamac is absolutely fine. We just want it often "fancier" in antique bronze, stainless steel, titanium... it doesn't make the razor "better".

Maybe I should start with looking at the Rockwell 6S
I am looking at you right now... ;)
@SgtCrppls made a good point though. How far do you want to dive into the rabbit hole?

You might end up buying razors for a few months every other month, but trying them out and possibly selling them will help you dial in your preferences. Some here have a quest for the one perfect razor for them going on, others are more into collecting them all. Or at least a lot.

The forum is a bit snobbish. Zamac is absolutely fine. We just want it often "fancier" in antique bronze, stainless steel, titanium... it doesn't make the razor "better".

I am looking at you right now... ;)
@SgtCrppls made a good point though. How far do you want to dive into the rabbit hole?

You might end up buying razors for a few months every other month, but trying them out and possibly selling them will help you dial in your preferences. Some here have a quest for the one perfect razor for them going on, others are more into collecting them all. Or at least a lot.
My Pokémon phase died two decades ago. I have no interest in collecting haha.

I think my reasoning for leaning towards the 6S is that @Halfbeard made his suggestion, variable blade gap (and price though obviously the Zamac is cheaper.

I know the 25C is mild and entry level but with the shim I honestly don't have too many complaints. I there also more variables than just gap and each brand will be different but it's the next point I think rather than diving in as you and others have suggested against.
Several head shavers have liked the RazoRock BBS.
Thanks ill have to check that one out specifically over there (that section of the forum) and see which BBS they went with out of the 4.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
My Pokémon phase died two decades ago. I have no interest in collecting haha.

I think my reasoning for leaning towards the 6S is that @Halfbeard made his suggestion, variable blade gap (and price though obviously the Zamac is cheaper.

I know the 25C is mild and entry level but with the shim I honestly don't have too many complaints. I there also more variables than just gap and each brand will be different but it's the next point I think rather than diving in as you and others have suggested against.

Thanks ill have to check that one out specifically over there (that section of the forum) and see which BBS they went with out of the 4.
There are some head shaving YouTube videos about the BBS.

Top Bottom