What's new

What's for Dinner at Your House?

Christmas Eve dinner was brown sugar pork chops made in a skillet, mashed potatoes with homemade gravy, and roasted potatoes + carrots + fennel. And of course, some rosemary sourdough bread from Whole Foods.

20211224_181401.jpg

After dinner there was a wide variety of Christmas cookies and other home baked goods as far as the eyes could see! :eek2:

Tim

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Christmas dinner at my place. I got a whole tenderloin from Costco, cut it into 5-6 oz steaks, sous vide to 129*, seared 2 min per side on very hot Saber infrared grill. Shrimps in garlic butter sauce with a bit of lemon and parsley to top the steaks. Spinach parmesan souffle, curry cauliflower, Greek garlic smashed potatoes.

dinner.jpg

Christmas dinner at my place. I got a whole tenderloin from Costco, cut it into 5-6 oz steaks, sous vide to 129*, seared 2 min per side on very hot Saber infrared grill. Shrimps in garlic butter sauce with a bit of lemon and parsley to top the steaks. Spinach parmesan souffle, curry cauliflower, Greek garlic smashed potatoes.

View attachment 1383983
I would like to hear more about the spinach parmesan soufflé. How is it made? Beyond containing spinach and parmesan cheese of course :confused1.

Tim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'll be having my annual sproutfest this evening.

Cooking for one, I don't tend to buy a bag of sprouts throughout the rest of the year. However, this has been a little personal tradition for many years now, and at some point in late December (subject to when my social obligations are), I'll treat myself to this.

Boil a whole bag (prob around half a kilo) of fresh Brussels sprouts till slightly undercooked. While that's happening, in a separate pan, fry up diced red onion, diced pancetta, and minced garlic, then finish off the sprouts by stir frying them in the onion and pancetta. I don't serve anything else with it, just gorge on that.

Not something I do if I'm planning to be in anyone else's company for the following 12 hours though...

I'll be having my annual sproutfest this evening.

Cooking for one, I don't tend to buy a bag of sprouts throughout the rest of the year. However, this has been a little personal tradition for many years now, and at some point in late December (subject to when my social obligations are), I'll treat myself to this.

Boil a whole bag (prob around half a kilo) of fresh Brussels sprouts till slightly undercooked. While that's happening, in a separate pan, fry up diced red onion, diced pancetta, and minced garlic, then finish off the sprouts by stir frying them in the onion and pancetta. I don't serve anything else with it, just gorge on that.

Not something I do if I'm planning to be in anyone else's company for the following 12 hours though...
I made the same thing yesterday. I also add balsamic glaze and boil the sprouts in chicken stock. Delicious!

Out for dinner last night to a French brasserie, shared a foie gras terrine, then the birthday girl had pan roasted scallops with ratatouille and I had herb-crusted lamb rack. Unusually for here, all the dishes were well-seasoned. Apple tart and ice cream to finish, along with a nice Medoc. Then around the corner for cocktails.

Had two leftover Italian sausages (one sweet and one spicy) in the frig who were about to overstay their welcome. So, this evening I decided to turn them into Italian sausage heroes. Nothing fancy. Just sautéed the sausage along with onions, peppers, and some Italian herbs plus garlic powder. Garnished with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and parsley and then a short stint in the broiler.

20211229_172821.jpg

20211229_172824.jpg

Boy, did this hit the spot tonight! :em2200:

Tim

Tonight I made a classic French dish, steak au poivre. Never having attempted the dish before I referred to this year's Christmas present from my wife I was most excited about and for which I was most grateful to receive.

20211230_180405.jpg

20211230_180419.jpg

As Jacques Pepin suggested I picked up some less expensive steak ($7.99 per lb) rather than more expensive filet mignon ($34.99 per lb) from Whole Foods. I also managed to snag their last jar of brined green peppercorns for the sauce.

I followed the recipe from Test Kitchen and the results were nothing short of spectacular -

20211230_175512.jpg

20211230_175723.jpg

20211230_175731.jpg

The pan-seared steak was delicious and I really nailed the green peppercorn and shallots sauce. The only things I might do different next time is to go a little lighter on the black peppercorn crust and finish cooking the steak in the oven another 5 to 10 minutes so it is a tad less rare. But, YMMV.

Tim

Going out tonight for an early NYE dinner, and the restaurant has a set menu, so it will be roast venison loin, with purple cauliflower, asparagus and Kampot pepper jus. The other choice is veal sweetbreads which get a yuk from this jury.

Top Bottom