What's new

What's a good synthetic brush under $30?

Anyone try the PAA Star Craft? It's 24mm, like their Green Ray... But from the little I could find, it seems to be a better knot / backbone. Very little is available on it though. Hmm.

Love the Atomic Rocket... It has great backbone both times I've used it so far. Would like to procure something in a 24mm just like it.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I purchased a RazoRock from amazon, for $4.99. Was suppose have the Razorock logo on the bottom. It turns out it probably a cheap knockoff, no logo. I waited almost 6 weeks, not knowing it was from China, Amazon never said where it was from. I expect this from Ebay, But not Amazon.

I received today an acrylic handle turned by an Etsy seller. It will take a 30mm knot. Now I'll have to try find youtube vids on best procedure for gluing the knot in. First time doing this, but probably not the last. Very fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20190117_103935.jpg
    IMG_20190117_103935.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
I purchased a RazoRock from amazon, for $4.99. Was suppose have the Razorock logo on the bottom. It turns out it probably a cheap knockoff, no logo. I waited almost 6 weeks, not knowing it was from China, Amazon never said where it was from. I expect this from Ebay, But not Amazon.
Just the price tag alone would've set off a red flag and told me it wasn't a genuine item!! Usually something thats too good to be true winds up being something thats not true at all. I would hope you sent the item back, right?

Anyone try the PAA Star Craft? It's 24mm, like their Green Ray... But from the little I could find, it seems to be a better knot / backbone. Very little is available on it though. Hmm.

Love the Atomic Rocket... It has great backbone both times I've used it so far. Would like to procure something in a 24mm just like it.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
@mrdoug

I have both of them. The Star Craft seems pretty similar just smaller.

I am quite happy with it as a smaller alternative to the Rocket.

I have considered the Green Ray also as I think it is nice looking, but where do you draw the line with this condition?

Hey folks, just chiming in to plug my own side again.

I’ve just finished a full year of using the Atomic Rocket every shave. It lost one bristle about 6 months ago. Otherwise, it looks like it was delivered yesterday. Some people don’t like the retro handle (I love it), so it’s useful to know the RazorRock Big Bruce is the same excellent knot with a boring . . . oops, I mean different . . . handle.

In short, the best $16 (delivered!) I’ve spent in this whole crazy shaving adventure.

@mrdoug

I have both of them. The Star Craft seems pretty similar just smaller.

I am quite happy with it as a smaller alternative to the Rocket.

I have considered the Green Ray also as I think it is nice looking, but where do you draw the line with this condition?

Yeah, one can get carried away with this stuff, lol. I probably have too many brushes as it is. When / if one every goes south, I'll keep the Star Craft in mind. Loving the rocket, as well as my many other synthetics.

Actually, I'm quite happy I got an S-Brush after having all these others. It's a synthetic Boar brush, which makes it a different experience all together. Works great, just like the others. [emoji846]

I’ve just finished a full year of using the Atomic Rocket every shave. It lost one bristle about 6 months ago. Otherwise, it looks like it was delivered yesterday. Some people don’t like the retro handle (I love it), so it’s useful to know the RazorRock Big Bruce is the same excellent knot with a boring . . . oops, I mean different . . . handle.

Rofl! What everrrrr!

I’ll agree the knot is rock solid for the price. Mine hasn’t lost a single fiber. I would not hesitate to pick up another whenever/ if ever this one decides to quit!

Some people don’t like the retro handle (I love it), so it’s useful to know the RazorRock Big Bruce is the same excellent knot with a boring . . . oops, I mean different . . . handle.

I really resonate to the whole retro vibe of the PAA product line. I also like the Art Deco style as well so, it is nice that Douglas has offered modern day items with these characteristics.

What a time to be alive and living in the first world!

Since I've made this post back in December, I've accumulated a total of 4 brushes which include the PAA Starcraft, an APShaveCo brush, Yaqi Moka, and RazoRock 400. In the 3 months that I've shaved with those brushes, I think I really enjoy the RazoRock and Yaqi brushes the most.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
My rotation now includes only synths -- all under $20 each: Four Plissoft and four tuxedo.

DSCF0010 - Edited.jpg

Hey folks, just chiming in to plug my own side again.

In short, the best $16 (delivered!) I’ve spent in this whole crazy shaving adventure.

I agree with you about the AR. Just easy to use.

Yaqi Segarda Familia
I was looking at that one sometime ago on WCS. I just checked... Their picture looks worse, lol. They make the yellow bottom portion look very omega-esque plastic like. Whereas, from the picture you posted, it seems the marble fades to yellow. Classy looking.

They need to retake their picture... Yours would sell more brushes. Lol.

Thanks.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
I was looking at that one sometime ago on WCS. I just checked... Their picture looks worse, lol. They make the yellow bottom portion look very omega-esque plastic like. Whereas, from the picture you posted, it seems the marble fades to yellow. Classy looking.

They need to retake their picture... Yours would sell more brushes. Lol.

Thanks.
That's a tough one to photograph accurately -- so many different colors.

Top Bottom