What's new

What's a good "first" fragrance?

people forget that at the mall, macy's lord and taylor ect. they put out bottles on the counter for all to try. there may be a dozen or more colognes to smell on several counters. id start there.

Thanks guys. The reason I'm mainly interested in Walmart's is because I don't have a Marshall's, B&BW, Macy's, or anything like that very close to me. Looks like there should be quite a few choices at Walmart's though.

Ungaro III
YSL Rive Gauche
Azzaro Pour Homme
Lanvin L'Homme Sport (a more heavy sport all year round frag, pretty good quality for its price)
Moscihno Uomo?
Lapidus Pour Homme
Bogart Pour Homme

Another place to look is Shoppers Drug Mart... I know the one near my place always has sales... $20 for a bottle of $80 value when they are trying to get rid of stock. I got Swiss Army that way and my first bottle of Givenchy Pi.

Thanks guys. The reason I'm mainly interested in Walmart's is because I don't have a Marshall's, B&BW, Macy's, or anything like that very close to me. Looks like there should be quite a few choices at Walmart's though.

Big Lots is another Treasure Trove of inexpensive Fragrances with many "Name" brands.

Rive Gauche PH is the only fragrance I ever bought from Walmart; it was a good price and I was completely satisfied with the blind buy.

People always recommend it as a great "barbershop" scent. It's clean and it has plenty of class.

Other than that, you should think about what "notes" you like to smell and look them up on Basenotes/Fragrantica as Renato suggested. That's how I got a pretty good idea of what I liked and what I didn't like. (Sampling goes hand in hand with that...) Do you have any idea about what scents you like?

If you want to go cheap, then I always find that Old Spice is pretty reliable. The memory associations for me are very positive and I love when the florals/powder fade after awhile and just the sweet spices linger; still very old school, even though the juice has changed over the years.

Since I'm so new to frags, I can't say for sure what I like, but what I "think" would smell good to me is: woodsy, musky base, but yet smooth and slightly floral with just a little bit of spice.

So something masculine and not overly sweet, yet still not all out musk/wood.

Lots of great suggestions here.

+1 on Z-14...back when I was just out of college, I happened upon a bottle that had a little left in it and I've had some ever since. Great scent.

Or in most cases, most aftershave splashes are strong enough to be used as colognes.

I strongly disagree.

Aftershave by it's definition has fewer fragrance compounds in it that a cologne does. A cologne has fewer than a EDT.

So in terms of scent longevity, the Aftershave is going to have the least amount of staying power.

An aftershave might be fine if you only want the scent to last for an hour or two, but beyond that you will want something that is designed to have a lasting fragrance. A good quality cologne usually has a detectable scent for at least four hours.

There are occasional Aftershaves that blur the line between aftershave/ cologne such as Dr. Harris Sandalwood, and Pinaud Clubman. But for the most part, most things labeled as aftershave are rather short lived.

Last edited:
Tabac original, Brut

Both classic barber-shop type scents. I have others but these are about the only two I need.

My wife loves Tabac and hate Brut.

Big Lots is another Treasure Trove of inexpensive Fragrances with many "Name" brands.

+1

Their stock varies greatly (sometimes even from week to week) but in the past, I have scored a bottle of Halston Z-14 for $4.50, and a bottle of Paco Rabanne for $10. Around Christmas time, I was able to find large bottles of Canoe Aftershave, and Pierre Cardin Cologne. They were I believe $10 each.

I strongly disagree.

Aftershave by it's definition has fewer fragrance compounds in it that a cologne does. A cologne has fewer than a EDT.

So in terms of scent longevity, the Aftershave is going to have the least amount of staying power.

An aftershave might be fine if you only want the scent to last for an hour or two, but beyond that you will want something that is designed to have a lasting fragrance. A good quality cologne usually has a detectable scent for at least four hours.

There are occasional Aftershaves that blur the line between aftershave/ cologne such as Dr. Harris Sandalwood, and Pinaud Clubman. But for the most part, most things labeled as aftershave are rather short lived.

You're statement is not entirely accurate.

Joop Homme aftershave splash lasts two days, and numerous others will last four or five hours under clothes - which is the same as at Eau de Cologne strength.

But it is indeed true that some were made only to be light, and they only last two or three hours under clothes.

The only way to know whether they are long or short lived is to test them.

Here is a list of some that I tested a decade ago, which shows the range of strengths around then
http://www.basenotes.net/articles/lotion.html

Regards,
Renato

I am a big fan of Burberry London in the fall/winter, and Burberry Brit in the spring/summer. Both of those can be purchase for just a bit more than your limit if you get the smaller bottles (which will last a long time). They are both a modern masculine - not old-man style.

Since you're looking specifically for a Fall/Winter scent, I recommend CK One Shock. It was recently spotted at TJ Maxx (and subsequently purchased) for $29.99 for a 200ml bottle. Surprisingly good scent (overlook the butt-ugly bottle).

I just picked up a bottle of Beckham Homme at Marshalls. I think it is a dead ringer for DRH Windsor or somewhere near Terre d'Hermes. I am loving it.

$9.99 by the way. Can't beat that.

I think WalMart carries the Beckham line and the three I have smelled have been quite good. Intimately Beckham is a solid ,vetiver based, modern masculine scent. They carry them at Target and Walgreens as well I believe.

Speick Eau de Cologne, it's only $20. Or in most cases, most aftershave splashes are strong enough to be used as colognes.

~~~I bought a bottle of Speick EdC, I think from west coast, and they sent the newer version that has way too much orange in the nose for me. I ended up trading it to someone else here that just loves it. I got a bottle of L'Occitane Vetyver in return but I also sent a puck of GFT Rose along in the deal. I would like to try the older version of Speick EdC someday

@ the OP- after reading your request for an inexpensive frag under $25, I can't help but think you may very well enjoy using Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve, and at $8 a bottle, it's hard to beat. BTW, Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve is an EdC of sorts in that Pinaud states on the label that it is an 'after shave cologne'. I have to agree, I get great longevity using it. As far as what it smells like...in two words. Vanilla and Leather. Some call this an old school frag and they would be right, which brings me to the point that not everyone agrees as to what is a good scent to wear and when but for $8 a bottle, it's hard to beat & definitely fits into your price parameter

More than likely you would have to get it mail order and for $25, you could order it along with some other frags from Amazon and get free shipping so long as the order totals $25 and all of your items are elligible for free super saver shipping. that said, you could mix your order and get a shave soap or shave cream, perhaps a bottle of Pinaud Clubman too, or Pinaud Bay Rum. the latter is a bit cinamony for my tastes but I still use it occasionally, for something different, as an after shave

i think the problem you might have is once you start trying out various frags, it'll soon be your next AD. Last one I bought was a bottle of Brut from the supermarket fopr $7 & change (5 ounces) and the only reason I bought it, last year sometime I picked up a bottle of a Brut knock off at the dollar store. Smelled just like Brut. I ended up giving it away to a house guest and mentioning this sometime back, another member here told me that I had to buy a bottle of Brut since it is a classic fougere, so I finally did. I've been wearing it a little every so often. It's a powerhouse frag if there ever was one yet it has no longevity on me. And not all bad either as I can switch to another frag later in the day w/o Brut showing back up

What you might want to do is make a list of all the frags you think you might want to try that fits your budget and buy some decants from Arcehrfire so you can try them out. You can spend $25 with him pretty easy including shipping but you'll have the abiltiy to test more than one

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Top Bottom