What's new

What Zenith boar brush to buy?

Ordered a B29 yesterday.

full_ad672032-9725-4f32-8266-8957c08e7dc5_compact.jpg

What do you think of the performance of SOC? Is it suitable for face lathering?Is SOC soft enough? :laugh:
I heard a lot of guys speak out against the SOC for face, but I think that’s relative. I use much larger brushes for face lathering and have no complaints. The SOC is 24 or 25mm, the zeniths are 26 and 28mm.

I only have one boar, a Zenith 27.5mm, Copper handle, B33. It's absolutely fantastic. The copper develops a patina very rapidly. I occasionally use a little Flitz to polish the bottom of the handle—I like the contrast of shiny copper to patina-ed. Good luck with any of these excellent choices.

Have you tried both the unbleached version and the bleached version? Why do you prefer the unbleached version? I did not find the bleached version floppy at a loft of 55mm-57mm. Thanks.
I have the same size knot (aluminium) in bleached boar bristle. IMO, the unbleached version is a notch firmer.

It's a few posts back, @Asterix posted a pic...

The guy that runs the Gentle Shave website seems to have invented his own model numbers, which really confuses the issue. You can buy the Zenith 506U from yourshaving.com in Spain for 13 Euros plus shipping.

Here is a stock photo:
zenith-unbleached-bristle-olive-wood-handle-506u-xse.jpg

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I’ve had 2 Zeniths for quite a while. One is a 28/50 I believe and the other is a 26/60. It had been quite a while since I last used them, so I broke them out last night for a shave. The 26/60 is much floppier than I remembered. The 28/50 may have a short loft, but the Zenith boar is very soft so it was a better size for me to combat the flop. That’s the direction I would go, a shorter lofted brush.

I forgot how good a lather I get whenever I use a Boar. Prompted me to order a Taj SOC.

I’ve had 2 Zeniths for quite a while. One is a 28/50 I believe and the other is a 26/60. It had been quite a while since I last used them, so I broke them out last night for a shave. The 26/60 is much floppier than I remembered. The 28/50 may have a short loft, but the Zenith boar is very soft so it was a better size for me to combat the flop. That’s the direction I would go, a shorter lofted brush.

I forgot how good a lather I get whenever I use a Boar. Prompted me to order a Taj SOC.
The floppy Zeniths have around a 64mm loft. Loft needs to be in proportion tot he knot size. A 28mm knot with a 50mm loft is very short-lofted. The B03-A26 is 26mm with 57mm loft, which is not floppy to my taste, anyway. It's about right. I have not tried the unbleached knots yet, but they are supposed to be slightly firmer.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
The floppy Zeniths have around a 64mm loft. Loft needs to be in proportion tot he knot size. A 28mm knot with a 50mm loft is very short-lofted. The B03-A26 is 26mm with 57mm loft, which is not floppy to my taste, anyway. It's about right. I have not tried the unbleached knots yet, but they are supposed to be slightly firmer.

Flop is subjective, too. My favorite brushes are the Simpson’s Chubby series, so the Zeniths (even my short lofted one) feel floppy when compared to the brushes I use most of the time. The short lofted Zenith is likely the closest I’ll get to a Chubby in boar but still feels “floppy” in a direct comparison. If Simpson’s made a Chubby in boar I would buy it in a heartbeat...

Top Bottom